Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Revision Mr2..

mr2nut123

hi ppl. ive been talkin to a guy about which mr2 i should buy. he says that the 1991 model is faster than the 1990 model because of a newer engine called 3S-GE. that true, right? apparently an extra 60 summat BHP is added on the 1991 models and above. when i go look at mr2s what do i need to look for to find out if its got the slightly faster engine in it? Should be J reg or above from December 1991 onwards right? cheers in advance guys, much appreciated.

They're the same mate. :thumbsup:

Later revision 3 cars had the 174bhp engine, but were slower than the early cars, because the 90-92 cars were lighter.

You need to look at the revision changes in order to find out when the differences were. Bibbs has provided loads of useful links at the top of the MR2 forum mate, check em out!

so the rev 2 and rev 1s are the same speed then? heard there was a 3s-fe engine or summat in the 1990 model that was a bit slower than the es-ge engine in the 1991 model. what BHP they have by the way? i never drove one before you see n wanna know if the non turbo still give u a nice kick. im gettin one this november, im only 18 but my dads in motor trade so hes got a policy. ive got a 1.2 clio at the moment which i want to sell if anyones interested by the way (S Reg, New shape, 48000 miles, Manual, Petrol, Blue, Colour coded body, Centrl locking, Airbag, S/roof, Power steering, Careful owner, Immaculate car! New Kenwood Speakers. £2500 o.n.o.)

3s-fe engine is the economy head, 3s-GE is the more powerful one, later spec cars have more powerful engines but are heavier etc etc. 3s-GTE are the turbo engines.

They cost the same to insure aswell...insurance company dont seem to know there was an engine change!lol

Dave!

so the question is... 3s-fe or 3s-ge :) what you rekon? pps

GTE .. forget anything under 200 bhp .. it'll only be a disapointment in the end :lol:

can you give me a list of which mr2s have the 3s-ge faster engine then like j reg etc. or maybe a way of me identifying what engine its got myself when i go to look at them. cheers again :)

I think they changed the bhp output after 1991 so it would be J reg onwards. I find 157bhp enough most of the time, it pulls really well all through the rev range. People seem to say it's best to go for a N/A first then go for turbo after.

mate, theres not gonna be much in it really - the later models were higher output but heavier cars. If you want pure power go for a drive in a turbo....

Lets face it, there's only one choice.............

3S-GTE

Like Bibbs said, anything else will be a disapointment eventually. :D

GO TURBO!

a n/a might be a good idea if it's your first MR2 or not had much driving experience, especially in rwd cars.

But eventually you will want a turbo !

are all you Turbo louts forgetting that he is only 18!!!

INSURANCE... :lol:

stick to the 3S-GE matey... if you are unsure which engine the car has you go to view.. look at the side of the engine and it should read 3S-GE...

ooops... lol

Yeah, you would never ever get insured on a tubby at 18 mate. Got he 3sge route for now. You still won't be dissapointed.

lol cheers jimlad. (thanks for the tip on the 3f-ge writing on the engine btw dude, ill look out for it) im lucky to be able to even have an N/A mr2, as fizz sed im 18, i got a 1.2 clio at the moment and im sure a 2litre (even non turbo) is gonna be a beast for me....just not fast enuff for u set of nutters :D but i got a good quote with my dads traders policy and cant wait now. im gonna go for the sunroof model to make it cheaper aswel, plus i heard tbars can leak and i arent stinkin rich to be able to repair stuff like that. im goin for a nice white uk standard one and gonna get sum nice 17" OZ racin Hydras on it and the lexus lights from rogue as my first mods. then ill consider a nice carbon fibre racing spoiler and then eventually get leather interior. cheers for all the posts and advice people, much appreciated. this november (or maybe sooner) when insurance comes thru can come meet sum of ya n check ur motors out :P

lol cheers jimlad. (thanks for the tip on the 3f-ge writing on the engine btw dude, ill look out for it) im lucky to be able to even have an N/A mr2, as fizz sed im 18, i got a 1.2 clio at the moment and im sure a 2litre (even non turbo) is gonna be a beast for me....just not fast enuff for u set of nutters :D but i got a good quote with my dads traders policy and cant wait now. im gonna go for the sunroof model to make it cheaper aswel, plus i heard tbars can leak and i arent stinkin rich to be able to repair stuff like that. im goin for a nice white uk standard one and gonna get sum nice 17" OZ racin Hydras on it and the lexus lights from rogue as my first mods. then ill consider a nice carbon fibre racing spoiler and then eventually get leather interior. cheers for all the posts and advice people, much appreciated. this november (or maybe sooner) when insurance comes thru can come meet sum of ya n check ur motors out :P

like i said before mate..

If you want to find a mota... you just have to check mine out.. as Rash sorted this out for me... he lives in Daisy hill...

and im only in Chellow Dene... :thumbsup:

tbars can leak, but can also easily be fixed !?!?!?!

ARGH !! I hate people who say don't get tbars.. they leak... my one used to leak.. does it now ? Not even a single drop !

are all you Turbo louts forgetting that he is only 18!!!

INSURANCE... :lol:

stick to the 3S-GE matey... if you are unsure which engine the car has you go to view.. look at the side of the engine and it should read 3S-GE...

Ahhhh! :!Removed!:

yea fizz, i already had a word with rash he seems a kool guy. when i sell my car hopefully this month ill buy one and stick without a car for a bit till i can get the insurance sorted. ill be askin him pretty soon to source me one! what kinda mileage should i be looking for on one? i heard around 60-70,000 is pretty average as they can go into the 100,000miles and still be ok.

on newly imported cars the mileage could be very low.

Mileage doesn't matter that much as long as the car's been looked after.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links