Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross 12v Battery

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

My wife is away for a month and so her car will be sat unused. I know my car will go flat in ~3 weeks if sat not doing anything. Does anyone know how long the Battery lasts for on the Cross Excel when sat around? If necessary I'll take it out for a couple of hours drive, but would prefer not to.

I did have a 12v car Battery charger but I'm unable to find it, and it has already been sat a week.

Is the car parked in the drive ?  If so, why not just put it in ‘Ready’ mode for 30 mins instead of driving.

• Like 6

One week without use, the car probably can last another week before the 12v Battery goes flat but this will depend on how often and for how long will the car was in use prior to be left parked. 

• Like 3

I wonder what will happen to all those cars that have been sitting at Zeebrugge for weeks(inc mine)?

• Like 3

They’ll probably come on the forum here and ask our experts for advice 😉

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jasonic said:

I wonder what will happen to all those cars that have been sitting at Zeebrugge for weeks(inc mine)?

Not an issue, not as if it's never happened before 😅

1 hour ago, Jasonic said:

Because of the drain of all the electronics cars now usually exit the factory in a low power mode with only enough stuff enabled to drive into/onto storage, transportation, etc. The dealers have to 'unlock' the full set during the PDI.

It might be useful to be able to re-engage that mode if the car is going to be idle for some time, though as it presumably disables alarms, etc, there might be insurance implications.

17 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Because of the drain of all the electronics cars now usually exit the factory in a low power mode with only enough stuff enabled to drive into/onto storage, transportation, etc. The dealers have to 'unlock' the full set during the PDI.

It might be useful to be able to re-engage that mode if the car is going to be idle for some time, though as it presumably disables alarms, etc, there might be insurance implications.

If you have any specific knowledge of a Toyota 'low power' mode for shipment a share here would be a very popular post.

• Like 2

Interesting post Mike: I wonder if that (dealer unlock) coincides with the car fully appearing on the MyT app, so I could then see its journeys, fuel level etc

Regarding Battery, we had a Mk3 Yaris (sold last year, excellent car, totally fault-free) as our 'second' car and once had to leave it unused for 4 weeks: it appeared to be fine

• Like 2

Probably they simply disconnect the Battery while the car is sitting in the docks parking areas or during ship/train transportation.

When finally car reaches the dealer it will be reconnected as part of PDI.

Probably during PDI it will also been recharged with an external charger.

• Like 1

The Mk3 Yaris Hybrid doesn't seem to have problems with the 12v Battery.  Mine at 7 years old has never let me down despite low useage.  I have never needed to charge it in any way.  I suspect it is because the Mk3 doesn't have so may electronic goodies to drain the Battery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickyC said:

Probably they simply disconnect the battery while the car is sitting in the docks parking areas or during ship/train transportation.

Probably during PDI it will also been recharged with an external charger.

Definitely none of those.  If you think they !Removed! about with batteries during transportation you are miles wide of the mark.  

• Like 2

Can’t even say f art on this mamby pamby forum 🙄. I’m fairly sure it’s in the Oxford Dictionary.  

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hibird said:

If you have any specific knowledge of a Toyota 'low power' mode for shipment a share here would be a very popular post.

I don't. I first heard of it maybe 10 years ago on a different forum. Given the obvious issue of power drain on cars that spend months being shipped around the world I'd be surprised if any but the most basic, locally made and sold cars didn't have something like this.

1 hour ago, RickyC said:

Probably they simply disconnect the battery while the car is sitting in the docks parking areas or during ship/train transportation.

They'd have to disconnect-reconnect every time the car needed driving. That's (eg) factory to parking, parking to transport, transport to dockside, dockside to ship, ship to dockside, dockside to transport, transport to dealer lot, dealer lot to showroom. The Battery terminals would be worn out, never mind the cost of labour.

1 hour ago, SinglePointSafety said:

I wonder if that (dealer unlock) coincides with the car fully appearing on the MyT app, so I could then see its journeys, fuel level etc

Possibly. It's certainly a service you don't want draining the Battery in transit, but it's also something that might need programming/enabling by the dealer - though I can't think why it shouldn't be set up in the factory as the cars are built for the country.

• Like 1

Some new cars seating for a long time ( months) will be jump started and pass to the new owners. New owners will take over and those who drive daily for over 30 min each time will have no trouble. Those who doesn’t drive frequently and only drive for a short trips less than 20 min each, will likely have flat Battery issues. Every air port car parking, every car dealer including used car ones, every recovery truck men, all those have jump starters and external chargers for this obvious reason. This “valet mode” it is likely to be a software thing as many cars together with those in showrooms and auto shows has their Battery connected but there are limited functionality in the cars, no interior lights, not able to start or use any accessories like infotainment, wipers, lights, horn etc , can’t lock or unlock the car etc 👍

• Like 1

So far nothing concrete on any kind of shipment low power mode and to be honest I would be amazed to find there was one that had escaped this forums attention.

I personally think the manual disconnection of batteries on the transport dock ship etc is a non starter and as suggested elsewhere would result in all sorts of Battery terminal wear/damage ... how many cars on a ship !

My suspision as I have mentioned in previous threads of getting an undamged Battery is something very similar to a lottery. I seem to have been lucky so am not expecting any issues.

The key thing about batteries they only have to go flat once to be damaged yes they can be charged but the damage is permanent.

However I would love to know what the Toyota Battery care system is during shipment so if you know please share.

I have witnessed the Toyota dealership battery care sytem on the seconhand car fleet and would award 0/10 and even that's pushing it !

• Like 2

There is no low power mode. On various Toyota models either the dome fuse or DCC fuses are out and have to be put in at PDI, this reduces the chance of interior lights and accessories being left on etc 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

To allay some fears, my Yaris Cross just sat for 31 days without moving. Smart Entry was enabled for the whole time (although would have enter power saving mode). The car started without any hint of an issue. Even more surprising was that my account profile was still signed in on the Smart Connect system!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

To allay some fears, my Yaris Cross just sat for 31 days without moving. Smart Entry was enabled for the whole time (although would have enter power saving mode). The car started without any hint of an issue. Even more surprising was that my account profile was still signed in on the Smart Connect system!

Good to know they all don't die after 3 days as some would have us believe, it does beg the question why some wont last a week and some owners don't seem to have any issues at all.

• Like 4

It's all down to usage; If the car is used a lot it's less likely to have any problems, but if it isn't used much then it's more likely to have problems.

Some people have bought the car then gone on holiday and come back to a flat Battery. When I got mine I immediately went on a 2 hour hoon just to get a feel for it (First hybrid, first automatic (!), 4th Yaris :laugh: ) and that can only have helped...

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Cyker said:

When I got mine I immediately went on a 2 hour hoon just to get a feel for it (First hybrid, first automatic (!), 4th Yaris :laugh: ) and that can only have helped...

This is what i intend to do when i get mine and it will be driven every few days so i shouldn't have any problems.

• Like 6

Battery that dies at 3 days is in need of replacment.

Or just continually keep charging it every other day until you have time to change it when the weather is a little wormer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Battery that dies at 3 days is in need of replacment

But some members are reporting this on cars under two years old that don't get regularly driven surely a new battery  should be able to hold a charge for at least a couple of  weeks when not being used 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

But some members are reporting this on cars under two years old that don't get regularly driven surely a new battery  should be able to hold a charge for at least a couple of  weeks when not being used 

Because some cars new or used been sold to the customers with already depleted batteries, todays people involved in the trade does not care at all as been noted about selling and servicing cars.
When the owner receives its new car with 12v Battery half way charged and they use the car only occasionally on short town trips plus seat in with acc mode because it’s their first hybrid and not aware of ready mode they kill the Battery themselves each time they use the car and soon the car refuses to start. I worked in a place with over 200 Priuses and non had ever any issues with the batteries, my car is almost 13 years old and still on its original batteries. One tip here for all that worries about their Battery, buy a smart charger no need super expensive, just Lidl or Aldi one and fully charge your 12v battery right after you collect your new car, this is to make sure you start with new car and fully charged battery. Then if not regular use can do once a month or every two months and your battery will last you easily 10 years and more. 👌

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Because some cars new or used been sold to the customers with already depleted batteries, todays people involved in the trade does not care at all as been noted about selling and servicing cars.
When the owner receives its new car with 12v battery half way charged and they use the car only occasionally on short town trips plus seat in with acc mode because it’s their first hybrid and not aware of ready mode they kill the battery themselves each time they use the car and soon the car refuses to start. I worked in a place with over 200 Priuses and non had ever any issues with the batteries, my car is almost 13 years old and still on its original batteries. One tip here for all that worries about their battery, buy a smart charger no need super expensive, just Lidl or Aldi one and fully charge your 12v battery right after you collect your new car, this is to make sure you start with new car and fully charged battery. Then if not regular use can do once a month or every two months and your battery will last you easily 10 years and more. 👌

Agreed, this could be true although it needs to be proven.  I think some owners are doing themselves no good without realising.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links