Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo automatic advice

Paul 78

Hi All,

Having recently purchased a 2019 Aygo and being really impressed. My wife is tempted to change her Fiat 500 for an Aygo but she can only drive automatic. How do they drive? The online reviews are a bit hit and miss. She has got used to the fiat dialogic but does miss a fully automatic box. I have read that the Aygo box does preform more like a normal auto. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Like 2

The x-shift is an MMT Automated manual, the x-shift is one of the better versions of the mmt, but it still has its issues when up in mileage, the clutch can last up to 50-60k miles, the Aygo X has gone over to a CVT

• Like 3

VII. Combined cycle economy figures for the Aygo range from 64.2 and 68.8mpg* VIII. A five-speed manual transmission and 'x-shift' automated manual transmission will be offered. X-shift can be used in fully automatic mode, or with manual gear selection using paddle shifts or the shift lever itself. 

if you can afford it go for the aygo X as the cvt is a better transmission although the cvt in that car is more suited to town driving.

• Like 2

The Aygo X new CVT is technically a better thing. Less wear, less problems to be expected, no jerky shifting.
Just read up about the CVT's disadvantages too and go for a test drive where you really give the car a whipping.
Personally, I just decided to not buy the CVT cause I am not so happy with the caracteristics, being (very) high revving when you accelerate as hard as you can.
The car being just light motorised often needs that, f.e. when you need to catch up speed, do overtaking, drive on the highway.

However, there will be not a lot available in this size of vehicle / automatic so if your main buying point is reliability, this is still your best choice.

I include a Youtube movie that shows a fast acceleration in the CVT version of Aygo X.
This guy is going full power.

• Like 2

If you're going to get an automatic Aygo deffo get a CVT one and not the MMT one just for the long term reliability alone; Toyota have somehow made a reliable CVT and we've had pretty much no posts of problems with them (Unlike, say, the Nissan one).

It's only noisy if you're constantly demanding lots of beans; It should be pretty quiet while cruising.

Personally I'd prefer a locking torque converter but the only car I know of that had one of those in recent memory was the GT86...!

• Like 5

Thanks all some really useful information. To be honest I think she has set her heart on the Aygo x. The CVT sounds like a better option than the earlier MMT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul 78 said:

Thanks all some really useful information. To be honest I think she has set her heart on the Aygo x. The CVT sounds like a better option than the earlier MMT.

It is indeed. If you are after an automatic aygo x you may also look at Yaris hybrid. Te entry level will be close price to top spec aygo x but the hybrid system is the best in class and also the best auto to drive. 

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links