Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo & Yaris

Donrald

Bought our Aygo X Extreme  in September. We have been away for a few weeks and whilst away hired a 1.5 year old Yaris. What was noticeable was that the Yaris was a little noisier and not as comfortable. A big contrast to our old Aygo Blue which always had a motorbike sound.

• Like 4

The Yaris is a eCVT, there is more engine noise than a normal geared petrol. The MK4 has improved in slightly less noisy than the MK3 hybrid. 

The comfort part I probably put it down to tyre profile. Which trim of the Yaris u hired, excel? Can go smaller wheel size with better profile tyres to give better comfort. The mk4 Yaris is one of the best small petrol/hybrid automatic car available, if not the best. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Which trim of the Yaris u hired, excel?

If the OP went abroad trim levels would probably be different - ie not an Excel. Also if their Aygo X is an auto, that would be a CVT.

• Like 2

I have no idea which Yaris it was (in Australia) other than it was an automatic and had Say Nav and Apple CarPlay. No complaints with the car. Ideal for the short time we needed it.

I learned that Toyota are to release a hydrogen hybrid in Australia and set up Hydrogen fill points. The only way really you could run an electronic car there. Nobody makes long enough extension leads!!

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 11:26 AM, ganthercage said:

Do you have some photos to share ?

Sorry, no.

On 12/31/2022 at 10:13 AM, Donrald said:

Bought our Aygo X Extreme  in September. We have been away for a few weeks and whilst away hired a 1.5 year old Yaris. What was noticeable was that the Yaris was a little noisier and not as comfortable. A big contrast to our old Aygo Blue which always had a motorbike sound.

Did your Aygo x started first time when you came back from Australia?
Just for comparison to Yaris hybrids which most likely would have a dead 12v Battery on return. 
Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, TonyHSD said:

Just for comparison to Yaris hybrids which most likely would have a dead 12v battery on return. 
Thank you. 

Yes. No problem. 5.5 weeks in the garage and fired up immediately. Had it been a Toyota hybrid I am certain the Battery would have gone flat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Just for comparison to Yaris hybrids which most likely would have a dead 12v battery on return. 
Thank you. 

Funny that…. My Yaris hybrid started no problem on my return from Australia after 4 weeks away ….. and I hadn’t driven to the airport beforehand.

Seriously, though, why would you expect the (presumably very similar) Battery in an unused Aygo hold up better than the same (or similar) in a Yaris ?
Both cars would have had the same usage pattern since they are the same ‘owner’.

What is ‘it’ in the Yaris which is depleting the Battery more whilst not being driven ?

Only difference is Aygo is ‘charged’ via an alternator.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Funny that…. My Yaris hybrid started no problem on my return from Australia after 4 weeks away ….. and I hadn’t driven to the airport beforehand.

Seriously, though, why would you expect the (presumably very similar) battery in an unused Aygo hold up better than the same (or similar) in a Yaris ?
Both cars would have had the same usage pattern since they are the same ‘owner’.

What is ‘it’ in the Yaris which is depleting the battery more whilst not being driven ?

Only difference is Aygo is ‘charged’ via an alternator.

Later hybrids from 2019 -> has same batteries as previous models but more electrical consumers ( connected services, electric brake booster) and batteries seems to be a problem.
During the lockdowns back in 2020 and 2021 there were a lots of troubles with many  Toyota hybrids and even now there are problems and frustrated owners., especially within those who drive very occasionally and on very short trips. There is a difference how the hybrids operate and how they charge their 12v batteries in direct comparison with standard petrol cars. Later even with minimal use a 12v Battery can last two years at least but in hybrids they can’t and they die quickly. Even Toyota has issued an official suggestion to keep hybrid cars in ready mode for up to an hour once a week during cold weather and if the car is not in use, just to maintain Battery charge levels. Once the Battery goes flat , damage is made and then even after recharge it will not hold well., new battery is the only viable solution. This event happens to many hybrids before even they get sold as new or used cars, then the results are here, unhappy customers and bad image for Toyota brand. 

• Like 3

Yes, Tony, and with respect I know all that but I still ask “why?”.

What is ‘different’ about a little used Yaris and a little used Aygo as regards Battery ?  
I regularly follow a Jazz forum and I don’t see the same level of flat Battery concerns from hybrid owners there.

ETA….surely with the starter motor cranking load on the Battery not being sufficiently recovered the situation with a little used non-hybrid should be even worse ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham47 said:

Yes, Tony, and with respect I know all that but I still ask “why?”.

What is ‘different’ about a little used Yaris and a little used Aygo as regards battery ?  
I regularly follow a Jazz forum and I don’t see the same level of flat battery concerns from hybrid owners there.

ETA….surely with the starter motor cranking load on the battery not being sufficiently recovered the situation with a little used non-hybrid should be even worse ?

There are a few things that make a huge difference between Yaris hybrid 12v batteries and Aygo:

1. The Battery size and power

2. Electronic brake booster - every time a Toyota hybrid has its drivers door open or close the system pressurise and depressurise itself, this is one of the biggest power drain 

3. Connected services- current small amount of power been used while the car is locked to send and receive data from a Toyota server 

4. Smart entry and push start button- walking pass the car with keys in your pocket easily activates welcome function, interior lights been turned ON, perhaps the smart key also sends signals when near by. 

5. Frequently turning ON and Off - the brake booster works each time 

6. Some new owners tend to leave the car in acc mode single short press start button so functions like infotainment, windows, wipers, lights are available and some even turn radio ON while in acc 

7. AGM batteries charge slightly differently from other types battery 

I think that’s the most common difference between these two cars. 
What is important for the 12v Battery on hybrids to be kept in good health is longer time in ready mode , because each on and off takes a lot more power than we all think and although there is no starter to load the Battery the battery itself is smaller and less powerful so this is all the capacity that has. 
Any other standard car driven very little battery won’t last much longer than 2 years. But latest hybrids seems very week and easy to get battery dead and with all consequences afterwards. 

• Like 3

I know the smart entry system was a cause on earlier cars, as we had a lot of posts from people on the earlier Auris who would park in front of their house and leave their keys near the front door, and that caused the car to keep pinging the keys and run down the 12v faster.

I have a feeling the DC-DC system that charges the 12v in the hybrids doesn't put out as much current as an alternator at maximum load, so it takes longer to charge it up to max, and 12v batteries really want to be kept at 100% as much as possible or they degrade faster.

Mine has been fine but I use it a lot so I suspect it's maintained at a higher level of charge.

We've had some people who bought the car then immediately didn't drive it for days, and I reckon that's why there's been a higher incidence of 12v issues, as the Battery was already likely low after being stored and transported and stored. I went on a mad hoon as soon as I got mine which I think helped :naughty: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Donrald said:

Yes. No problem. 5.5 weeks in the garage and fired up immediately. Had it been a Toyota hybrid I am certain the battery would have gone flat.

Thank you. 👍

• Like 1

In my previous car, a CH-R, it was left unused for a week during lockdown. It was less than a year old. I could not unlock it and the emergency key would not turn in the lock. Toyota sent the AA out to sort it. They did. The AA man said flat batteries in hybrids are a common problem. The main reason is the computer system is constantly draining it. He advised to run the engine at least once a week for a time.

Not as bad as Land Rover’s problem. When they released the new Defender owners were finding their batteries going flat overnight. The cause was they were/are set up to do software updates overnight. Such were taking a long time draining the Battery.

• Like 3

I wonder if the modern smart entry systems (that transmit and receive signals constantly) and the modern multimedia (sim card included and connected constantly) will make the Battery drain too.
And in how many days..

On 1/9/2023 at 2:21 PM, haelewyn said:

I wonder if the modern smart entry systems (that transmit and receive signals constantly) and the modern multimedia (sim card included and connected constantly) will make the battery drain too.
And in how many days..

The key may not drain at all or as much but the SIM card aka connected services will do for sure. 👍 How much I have no idea. 

• Like 1

There is a transmitter / receiver working constantly too, to detect the key being close to the car or not...  I guess.
Except if only pushing the button on a door makes the system become 'awake'. 
No idea .. !

• Like 1