Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crank angle sensor issue

OldRed1999

Hi, I'm struggling with buying a replacement crank sensor for my 1999/2000 Toyota Corolla (Petrol FWD -- _E11_1332cc 63KW 86HP 4E-FE) and am hoping someone may be able to advise me on finding the right part. On eBay using the 'My Garage' filter it initially brings up plenty of options but then when clicking through it mostly tells me it isn't compatible after all (a lot seem to be for models/engines ending in '4ZZ-FE' rather than 4E-FE). To be honest I'm not convinced the eBay My Garage filter accurately captures the particular (sub)model of my car.

The part number of the sensor removed from my car is 90919-05019, and this only seems to be available without the cable attached (e.g.: this one), and I need the cable.

The link above (without cable) says it's for a Toyota Paseo, but it's the same part number (it actually appears to be for a Cam Sensor rather than Crank Sensor, but I think these must be interchangeable, in this case at least - please correct me if I'm wrong on that!). I'm confused about how specific the compatibility needs to be and what features I definitely need to ensure are correct before buying, and which elements I don't need to worry about. There are plenty on eBay (example - this is one for 4ZZ-FE) that look just like the one taken from my car (although I've just started to notice that the metal cylinder on mine might be slightly thinner/more elongated than the ones pictured on Ebay etc. - I have attached the image of my old one in case this helps)

I have tried online searches and various parts companies but haven't had any luck there either (I can find that part number, but not one that comes with the cable).

Some context: after many years of this car being so reliable I would proudly defend it when people said I should get a newer car, it suddenly refused to start in December, and the garage first suggested a new fuel pump (which I ordered, but this didn't fix it), and then said they think the crank sensor is faulty. This is now where I'm stuck - the garage says they can't order it for me and aren't too much help with helping me with the uncertainties I have over finding the right replacement.

If anyone can offer any advice on this it would be really appreciated, thanks.

IMG_20221216_185138383.jpg

Hi,

Would first use one of these free sites along with your Vin number to confirm the part number and if its been superceded, plus it might also show a separate part number for the cable.

toyota.7zap.com, megazip, toyodiy and Toyota.epc-data

• Like 1

i will look it up on the epc shortly

90919-05019 comes back as a Tercel or paseo part

I think you may have misread the part number 9 and 8 can look a like, when worn

90919-05018

hope this helps, PS take eBay compatibility charts with a pinch of salt

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/corolla-38234/ee111-54077/ee111r-dlhnkw-921636/engine-oil-pump-17876346?nid=3891508#g17876346/engine-oil-pump/il-413967978-3891508-3891508

5 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Would first use one of these free sites along with your Vin number to confirm the part number and if its been superceded, plus it might also show a separate part number for the cable.

toyota.7zap.com, megazip, toyodiy and Toyota.epc-data

Thank you, these are really useful.

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

I think you may have misread the part number 9 and 8 can look a like, when worn

90919-05018

hope this helps, PS take eBay compatibility charts with a pinch of salt

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/corolla-38234/ee111-54077/ee111r-dlhnkw-921636/engine-oil-pump-17876346?nid=3891508#g17876346/engine-oil-pump/il-413967978-3891508-3891508

You're absolutely right, thank you so much for checking this!

With this correct part number much of the doubt has gone - I still can't find one in the UK but found one for a good price from China, so will just have to wait a bit longer for it.

(ps 'oldcodger': it seems this part number includes the cable)

i would avoid the cheap Chinese ones - unless you want to be back at square one in 3-6 months i would phone around and get something in the uk

4e and 3/4zz have very different types of sensors, the 4E type is piezoelectric that generates its own power/signal the 3/4zz type are powered and send a PWM signal back to the ecu

Thanks, I'm holding off on ordering in case I can find it here. Thanks also for the info on the different sensor types.

• 4 weeks later...

Just resurrecting this... after weeks of wild goose chases with various scrapyards and also Amayama (who a few weeks after ordering said they didn't have it after all), I received a crankshaft sensor from a scrapyard, and despite them assuring me it was part number 90919-05018, it is actually a 90919-05047. Having let them know, they said it will work just the same and I should try it - the trouble is this will cost me (can't do it myself) and I am quite doubtful about this. 

Is anyone able to say that it should work, or that it definitely won't work?

Thanks in advance.

ps - I have sourced one (the right part number) from a dealer in the US, but before I go ahead and order this (and attempt to return the other one to the scrapyard), I wanted to get opinion on here whether there's any point at all trying it out first.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links