Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car surges forward

Rosgoe

I understand the fact that when you are going down a long steep hill the engine needs to spin to stop the hybrid Battery overchargeing and to create engine braking however I have noticed that when it does the car surges forward a little and you have to apply more braking power it feels as though the abs is activated but it’s not a rapid pulsating of the brake pedal (strange feeling) the 2015 auris I had never done this on the same hill.

• Like 1

the only time i have had surging is when adaptive cruise is applied. 

My previous 2019 corolla was a 1.8 and was very keen on engine braking which included a lot of noise.  My current 2.0 GR doesn't seem to apply much engine braking.

But neither surge in the way you describe.

• Like 1

That’s normal. Sometimes after long downhill the engine will spin at very high rpm 4000+ to discharge the Battery. Happens very often with me. The surge is present but no abs activated unless slippery conditions and some of the wheels loos grip. And yes the feeling is indeed strange and unusual. 👍

I never actually driven my car in mountain regions that there are steep downhills for miles to see how the car will behave, but I can imagine it won’t be very nice experience to hear the engine is screaming high and the car surges when engine kicks in. 

I wonder if that surge is the regen braking cutting off - The regen braking provides a surprisingly large braking force and I'd imagine it'd be very noticeable if it suddenly cut off.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I wonder if that surge is the regen braking cutting off - The regen braking provides a surprisingly large braking force and I'd imagine it'd be very noticeable if it suddenly cut off.

It is, plus the engine kicks in in the same time 👍

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

That makes sense it is a feeling of releasing the brake pedal then you have to apply more force to the brake’s,thing is though I never noticed it with the auris.

• Like 1