Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another MyT quirk (PHEV)

nlee

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I can't remember it specifically and couldn't find anything by searching.

I looked at a trip in the MyT app the other day. It was around 12 miles on a full traction Battery and as far as I was aware it was all on EV. However the app said EV time was 95% and EV distance was 100%. This would suggest the ICE started while I was stationary, which I'm convinced it didn't and I wasn't really stationary for long.

Anyway, I looked back at a good sample of trips and I haven't recorded a 100% EV time trip since back to Aug/Sept, and I know that's not right.

To confirm, after my last trip yesterday, I checked on the trip summary on the MID when I switched of the ignition and it said 100% EV time (I should have taken a picture). The same trip in the app shows...

Screenshot_20230111-115130.thumb.png.efd3a3768f45d56ab6caa8d364c78aa7.png

Ok, it's not a big deal. It's taken me this long to realise, but it is annoying that it impacts if you want to look at longer terms statistics on the performance.

• Like 1

That is 1 minute 2.4 seconds +/- 7.8 seconds of no EV time.  How long after entering Ready mode did you move off?  How long after 'finish with engine' before you selected Off?

Same with my PHEV results, I just ignore the numbers and treat more as an indication rather than the absolute truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

That is 1 minute 2.4 seconds +/- 7.8 seconds of no EV time.  How long after entering Ready mode did you move off?  How long after 'finish with engine' before you selected Off?

I'm not sure, but the ICE didn't run before or during and the MID summary of 100% EV time confirmed that.

Is it feasible that the app discounts any time the vehicle is not moving when in EV mode?

I had a trip this morning which was 17 minutes in EV mode and the app showed 100% EV Distance but 97% EV Time, about 30 seconds, which would be roughly the time I spent not moving. The ICE never fired up during the trip.

Just a guess though.

Just checked a few of the last months trips and non show 100% EV.  My memory, potentially a doggy thing to use, seems to say it used to show 100% for short trips where there was traction Battery available for EV mode?

Hayzee, that was my conclusion.  Powered up does not equate to EV time. 

As Ernie also says above, anything before Aug/Sept always showed 100% EV time as well as 100% EV distance when all completed without the ICE starting, so that dispels the theory of not counting the non-moving time. At least not back then but I can't say the calculation hasn't changed since. Like I said previously, the car display shows 100% EV time at the end of the same journey.

The first time I had a deviation from 100/100% was early July this year. No idea if that coincided with an app version update as no version history listed.

• Like 1

@Hayzee, I think it must have been an update for sure. I'm not sure of the logic, it's not clear why there is a discrepancy between the car's display and the MyT app. they generally very small differences. If it was a petrol ICE then the mpg is taken from engine fired to engine off, whatever happens in-between, moving, stationary, whatever?

• Like 1

@ernieb I've also noticed that the Hybrid driving score that the car display shows at end of a trip also varies from that displayed in the app.

And the app is still missing trips intermittently 🙁

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:

And the app is still missing trips intermittently 🙁

Yes. Not all trips are recorded. Pretty sure they were more consistently recorded a couple of months ago but recently they are being missed almost as much as recorded.

• Like 1

Subjectively you could be right on it being worse now though I would put the miss rate at 5-10%, still too frequent for the App to be useful. 

For business recording the App is no use whatever. 

It has always been a bit hit and miss since I first used the app but seems to have got worse over the last 6-9 months.

• Like 1

As you say Ernie, it's just an indicator rather than truth or reliable. At first I was hoping that all my business trips would be logged so I could just label the trip and at the end of every month just take the mileage total for work trips and claim my fuel costs back through our finance dept. But alas I gave up on that soon after realising the App was completely missing trips and it many cases only partly recording what was a long trip. I just wrote down the odometer readings now on pen and paper in the car for each trip! High tech solution.

Fair to say that most car makers don't do software very well. 

8 hours ago, Nick72 said:

As you say Ernie, it's just an indicator rather than truth or reliable. At first I was hoping that all my business trips would be logged so I could just label the trip and at the end of every month just take the mileage total for work trips and claim my fuel costs back through our finance dept. But alas I gave up on that soon after realising the App was completely missing trips and it many cases only partly recording what was a long trip. I just wrote down the odometer readings now on pen and paper in the car for each trip! High tech solution.

Fair to say that most car makers don't do software very well. 

So very sad in many ways. What is more difficult to accept though is that many manufactures charge for the privillage of using the software for specific features and yet it can be so poor. In particular many BEV's require the software to unlock the car or enable it to drive. I think it was last year when a large group of TESLA owners were locked out of their cars due to a software glitch.

Not being able to reliable use the app to log business trips is appalling in my view.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

So very sad in many ways. What is more difficult to accept though is that many manufactures charge for the privillage of using the software for specific features and yet it can be so poor. In particular many BEV's require the software to unlock the car or enable it to drive. I think it was last year when a large group of TESLA owners were locked out of their cars due to a software glitch.

Not being able to reliable use the app to log business trips is appalling in my view.

It's not great for sure. The whole system architecture and software topic is very poorly understood by the car makers. Half baked, half ubikd, and poorly supported. Honestly if I put something together like that in the day job people would die and I'd not only be fired but probably in jail. Safety and security they are totally clueless. 

• Like 1

***** hell 😅

IMG_2177.jpeg

Went to the app yesterday to check the trips, 90% are not registering now, how did they manage to make it worse than it was 😆 

• Like 1

This has happened to me a few times and has sometimes lasted until the next day before it cleared. I think that sometimes they are doing work on the servers or infrastructure and during this process is unable to log you on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

This has happened to me a few times and has sometimes lasted until the next day before it cleared. I think that sometimes they are doing work on the servers or infrastructure and during this process is unable to log you on.

Ernie, please ... it's not 90s, you don't have to take the service down for maintenance these days. Have you ever seen Amazon taking their online shop down for maintenance? It's a bad design and greed, nothing else.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kucyk said:

Ernie, please ... it's not 90s, you don't have to take the service down for maintenance these days. Have you ever seen Amazon taking their online shop down for maintenance? It's a bad design and greed, nothing else.

Yes agree it’s not the ‘90’s Luke, except it sometimes feels like that with the MyT app. 😉The problems do seem to be system related one way or another, we’ve seen of here that many have reported similar logging issues in the past at the same time. Certainly the current systems are not fit for purpose I think we can all agree with that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kucyk said:

Well I couldn't pay my virgin credit card for a whole day yesterday because of 'maintenance' so it really is a case of very few being in the Amazon league 👍

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Yes agree it’s not the ‘90’s Luke, except it sometimes feels like that with the MyT app. 😉The problems do seem to be system related one way or another, we’ve seen of here that many have reported similar logging issues in the past at the same time. Certainly the current systems are not fit for purpose I think we can all agree with that.

Definitely server problems most of the time. Either infrastructure capacity or bad software and poor maintenance practice. There's probably only one person running the whole lot and when they need to go drop some milk and a loaf off at their nan's house all hell breaks loose whilst they're away 🤣

• Haha 3

I note the MyT app is a Toyota Europe thing (TME). I wonder what, if anything, is used in other parts of the world and if it's any better?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nlee said:

I note the MyT app is a Toyota Europe thing (TME). I wonder what, if anything, is used in other parts of the world and if it's any better?

The App has more functionality and looks cooler in the USA. But they're also plagued by issues when I've been on the US forums.

• Like 2