Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is it worth buying

Blue Rose

Hi, Iam new to this all, I was just wondering if it worth buying an urban cruiser. I very much love the look of the car but have noticed that it's been discontinued. Are the parts hard to get if the car needs a fix? And in general what's the common issues etc. Thank you

• Like 4

Of the two models - 1.33 petrol and 1.4 AWD diesel - the 1.33 petrol seems to have fewer problems. However, only around 2,800 of both versions were sold in the UK and it was discontinued from sale here in 2012. So parts such as exhaust systems, etc may be hard to get, etc.

• Like 7

I always fancied an Urban Cruiser but never seen one in my area now for a long time, as Mike has said parts could be hard to source and expensive.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Of the two models - 1.33 petrol and 1.4 AWD diesel - the 1.33 petrol seems to have fewer problems. However, only around 2,800 of both versions were sold in the UK and it was discontinued from sale here in 2012. So parts such as exhaust systems, etc may be hard to get, etc.

Wow that is a really small amount sold explains why I can't find much information or review in the UK.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

I always fancied an Urban Cruiser but never seen one in my area now for a long time, as Mike has said parts could be hard to source and expensive.

Nearest one to me is Leeds(UK) and am from Manchester (UK) but was willing to travel down to get it but thought il find out more information from here and other places as I couldn't find any information other than it was discontinued. Which is sad as it a lovely looking car

• Like 4

I'd think actually a lot of parts would be from common Toyota stock but it would be specific things like body panels that would eventually get rare.

• Like 5

Hi Blu, what about a Kia Soul ? I think the style would appeal to you and may get a good one for your budget.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Blu, what about a Kia Soul ? I think the style would appeal to you and may get a good one for your budget.

Hi thanks will look in to that, to be honest never thought of looking else where other than Toyota and Vauxhalls as I have always had better luck then ford or fiat (learnt the hard way about both brands). Are Kia soul any good do you know?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

Hi thanks will look in to that, to be honest never thought of looking else where other than Toyota and Vauxhalls as I have always had better luck then ford or fiat (learnt the hard way about both brands). Are Kia soul any good do you know?

Kia are in general good value for money and very popular nowadays. The Kia Soul model is a quirky practical model and I thought that it would appeal to you, but you would need to go look and have a test drive, etc

Be good if you could get some kind of warranty with your next car Blu 👍

• Like 3

The parts availability should be okay as Toyota will have them, but might have a slightly longer lead time and will be more expensive than pattern parts, which are likely to be more scarse.

They share a lot with the Mk2 Yaris IIRC so for regular service parts they should be okay.

Don't really see many problems reported, but as others have said there aren't that many of them out there. They're Toyotas tho' so should be up to the usual Toyota standards.

It was always a bit surprising they didn't do better, esp. when you look at how things are now with everyone and their mother buying SUVs and Crossovers!! I wonder how it would do if it was released now, although I guess the Yaris Cross sortof fills that role now...?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't get a clutch plate for love nor money recently for an UC, genuine or pattern parts 

• Like 4

Are they not the same as in the Yaris?? I thought it had the same drive train!! I'm not sure if you can compare the specs to see if one could be substituted, e.g. disc diameter, shaft diameter, spline count etc. as they don't seem to list them for a lot of parts, but as a wizard guardian of the parts database you might have more detailed access! :laugh:  (Then again I'm not even sure if you'd be allowed to substitute parts like that as a dealer...!)

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

It was always a bit surprising they didn't do better

Back in 2009 when I was looking to swop my 2006 Corolla, I looked at the Urban Cruiser. However, it was more expensive than the Auris for a smaller car, and the petrol version didn't seem to offer better value over the Auris. 

• Like 3

Probably the right choice as It would have been a bit of a downgrade from your Corolla (Those 9th gen Corollas are still really nice cars) as IIRC the UC is basically a jacked up Mk2 Yaris.

In some ways it's the spiritual predecessor of the Yaris Cross!

I think the main USP for the UC was the AWD on the diesel version, otherwise it'd be for people who were specifically after that chunky SUV-look.

• Like 1

Agree it's a shame they didn't do well otherwise I wouldn't even think twice about it. Gonna go look at a Hyundai ix20 tomorrow 2013 model as that's all I can afford not my first choice but will see how it goes

• Like 4

By bizarre coincidence I was stuck behind one for several miles today! :eek: 

Made me think of this thread :laugh: 

If you were just after one for the expanded space but still a relatively small car, the ix20 is not a bad shout, as is the Kia Venga (Basically the same car :laugh: ). If you were more after the smallish car 4x4 abilities, there isn't much else out there to compete with the Panda 4x4s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

If you were more after the smallish car 4x4 abilities, there isn't much else out there to compete with the Panda 4x4s.

Suzuki SX4 - available in fwd or 4wd.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2023 at 2:05 PM, Blue Rose said:

Agree it's a shame they didn't do well otherwise I wouldn't even think twice about it. Gonna go look at a Hyundai ix20 tomorrow 2013 model as that's all I can afford not my first choice but will see how it goes

One reason the UC didn't do well was its poor results in the EuroNCAP safety test, where it scored only three out of five stars. For context, most contemporary cars meanwhile achieved full 5/5 ratings. This includes the Mk2 Yaris on which the Urban Cruiser is based.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I was looking  to buy a low mileage 2012 4x4 diesel soon. This is to ship to South America, as they have a lots of Toyota cars there. Also being 4x4 will be useful with the bad roads and where I need to travel on dirt tracks.

What should look out for when buying used ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Alan, good service and MOT history, average or low mileage, one or two owners, good bodywork, tyres, interior, etc and drives well 👍

• Like 1

Be aware anything diesel after 2010 has a DPF in the UK and EU, also the clutch is unique to the NLP115 4x4 - some have been waiting a long time to get replacements, a few have had the clutch relined (new friction material)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Yes it’s still a good choice. I sold my old Lexus Sportcross and was enviously eyeing up an Urban Cruiser to own instead as I’m very very fond of my wife’s Urban Cruiser 1.33. Petrol wise it’s economically better than my old Sportcross and even compares to the economy of a Honda CRZ which is a hybrid vehicle. I think the car still looks fresh in terms of styling and still holds it own in the current arena of outgoing petrol vehicles. For a Japanese car I’ve found the Urban Cruiser to not be a rust bucket at all - bodywork generally still has a strong gleam and shine so I’d say it’s aged well but like everything if you look after it, routine maintenance should serve you well. Urban Cruiser used daily abs she’s done 3 trips to Cornwall from London, many country drives and urban commutes. Folding wing mirrors and parking sensors are very useful, 6 speed gearbox fine. The interior styling of the dash and drivers cockpit is good - she’s got the digital climate control which looks better than dials and switches for aircon, i prefer of the silver grey trim around the head unit / vents were black. Head Unit (this i should do a separate topic for) I put an Alpine ILX702D CarPlay/Android Auto head unit in which has a rear number plate light camera (the OEM camera part is the same fitting as Toyota Auris for number plate lights cam) overall looks great and whole drivers perspective of cockpit still feels up to date. Overall the car is a good eco drive not best for tax but def not worst.  She’s a sensible safe (NCap rating aside) drive and most importantly has that Toyota Japanese built reliability that still starts and drives on icy cold mornings in London.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links