Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parasitic battery drainage or just lack of use? Aygo 2010

Laura_

Hi, I've had my 2010 Aygo since 2013 without any major problems. I had a flat Battery in October so replaced with a Yuasa HSB202 Silver 12V Battery.

Since then the new Battery keeps going flat, which I totally understand could just be due to the cold weather and the fact I sometimes only drive it once a week + shortish journeys + it's getting on in age now. But it has been on quite a few longer trips lately and it's been fine every other year until now, so I wanted to check if anyone had any thoughts on if it's just the lack of driving, or if it could be a parasitic drain, from something like the bluetooth?

I spotted this thread here. I don't use the bluetooth but it does seem to sometimes switch off completely, sometimes blink. I could attempt to disconnect it as per the thread? The display on the CD player and light on the AC unit have also recently been intermittent (pushing the unit in seems to solve this - I've read that a dodgy connection here is a known fault with Aygos?)... I'm not sure if any of this is related.

Halfords checked the Battery and said it was fine, up to 80% charged after a jump start from a Battery booster and a 20 minute drive, and that the alternator & start up motor were fine too. They said they could put a larger battery in, a 640A rather than the 440A. Would this be worth trying? Toyota say they can do a trickle charge & check on the battery but not sure if this would help?

So I wanted to ask if I should just expect the battery to keep dying after 6-7 days without use, or if the above issue or any other faults are worth looking into please? I WFH so it would be tricky to try to get more mileage in just to keep the battery topped up, but do understand if that's the only fix.

I don't know too much about cars so any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have just returned home having been away for 89 days.

My 2021 Aygo was sat in my garage for all that time without being charged, the car started first time.

It has the standard 35 Ah Battery made by Fiamm.

@Laura_, there is something amiss with your car.

• Like 2

Hi Laura,

It does seem a little strange that since you had the Battery changed that this issue as happened.
My next door neighbour who is a retired mechanic had the same problem with the Battery draining after short runs on his grandsons Golf.

He spent days trying to find the issue and I did tell him that it may be a parasitic drain and to connect a multimeter but he did not have one available. After getting fed up he decided to drop it in on an auto electrician and it turned out to be a faulty radio that was draining the Battery.

If you have a multimeter or borrow one I would try this as it seems you have had the obvious items checked. A link to one ,method of doing this is below. 

http://testmeterpro.com/parasitic-draw-test-with-a-multimeter/

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice Martin & Bob. I'll look in to getting a multimeter. Everytime I've asked a garage/the AA about the issue, they've just stopped listening as soon as I've told them how often I drive and told me to drive it more!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laura_ said:

I spotted this thread here. I don't use the bluetooth but it does seem to sometimes switch off completely, sometimes blink. I could attempt to disconnect it as per the thread? The display on the CD player and light on the AC unit have also recently been intermittent (pushing the unit in seems to solve this - I've read that a dodgy connection here is a known fault with Aygos?)... I'm not sure if any of this is related.

It could all be very much related I suspect.

Low mileage and low usage in my experience isn't a problem providing the car is standard and has no additional gadgets fitted.

From another thread. The mileage one year could almost have been covered by a single full tank of fuel:

Once a Battery has been allowed to go flat and has been in that state for even a short time and/or is constantly only kept at a lowish state of charge then it could very likely be deteriorated as a consequence. In other words a new Battery will go the same way unless you correct any unwanted current drain.

Another thought is that the new Battery you fitted may already have been less than 100%. It happens, particularly if it was already old and had been stored at high temperatures... long hot summer and all that. So that is a possibility as well. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mooly said:

It could all be very much related I suspect.

Low mileage and low usage in my experience isn't a problem providing the car is standard and has no additional gadgets fitted.

From another thread. The mileage one year could almost have been covered by a single full tank of fuel:

Once a battery has been allowed to go flat and has been in that state for even a short time and/or is constantly only kept at a lowish state of charge then it could very likely be deteriorated as a consequence. In other words a new battery will go the same way unless you correct any unwanted current drain.

Another thought is that the new battery you fitted may already have been less than 100%. It happens, particularly if it was already old and had been stored at high temperatures... long hot summer and all that. So that is a possibility as well. 

Thanks Mooly, that's really useful to know about the Battery condition and the hot summer, storage, etc.

I get through a tank of petrol once a month-ish so I'm not quite as extreme as the Yaris driver but still quite low mileage, similar to your Corolla.

• Like 1

As mentioned could be some added gadget, hardwired Dashcam or telematics insurance black box, can cause issues. Just so you know alternator issues not uncommon on these cars, but you mention that been checked and would expect Battery dash light to show etc. 

Just so you know you can fit a bigger Battery, 063 type, is a common upgrade, I fitted one to our similar 107 and it gives you more choice, better value wise as well as more cold cranking amps etc. 

As mentioned your so called 'new' Battery may not been brilliant to start with and with infrequent use just hastened it's demise, I usually bench charge new battery to check all is ok before fitting and they usually are, but saying that years ago I had a new battery lunch itself in just over a year.

In addition to all above I believe that the larger Battery fitted can also add to the problem. In general batteries replacement should be exact same spec as original ones. 

• Like 1

Rather than just a test with a volt meter you could get your Battery tested with a tool that will see how many CCA your Battery still has.

CCA = cold cranking amps

Also : check if the Battery connections are tight and clean. I guess the garage will have done so already but you never know.

You could consider to install a trickle charger yourself and then the car would normally always start and the battery wouldn't wear out fast.

The normal way to install that is to put a few clamps on the battery every time you park but there are other and easier ways too if you really want and need that.

Like making a plug on the outside of the vehicle, often at the front grill.

Also available : trickle charge connecting to the cigarette lighter.

Thanks so much Steve, Tony and Ivan, that's all really useful info, especially the CCA check.

• Like 2

Take a look the date of manufacture on the Battery. Is it original Battery, 12 y old Battery

Typically lead acid batteries survive 5-10 years. It depends on how often you drive and temperature. Heat also cause degradation. Most wet cell battery is now "sealed" and need no maintenance. 

16 minutes ago, AisinW said:

Take a look the date of manufacture on the battery. Is it original battery, 12 y old battery? 

Typically lead acid batteries survive 5-10 years. It depends on how often you drive and temperature. Heat also cause degradation. Most wet cell battery is now "sealed" and need no maintenance. 

The OP has replaced the Battery in October !

@Laura_ ask your mechanics to check any parasitic drain.  But i doubt you have any.  you probably gets a lemon Battery.  You can ask for a new replacement from the store who sell it.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, martswain said:

The OP has replaced the battery in October !

Unless she replaced with second hand ... I wouldn't but there are people / small garages who do..   😁
But probably Laura got a new Battery for that ...

10 hours ago, AisinW said:

@Laura_ ask your mechanics to check any parasitic drain.  But i doubt you have any.  you probably gets a lemon battery.  You can ask for a new replacement from the store who sell it.   

Do a CCA / Battery condition test and that will be clear too..

Thank you all so much for the additional info, I'm going to get the CCA/ Battery condition tested. And just to confirm that I don't have any extras fitted in the car (telematics box, Dashcam, etc).

Thanks again, you've all been so helpful!

As mentioned above, if it all checks out and it just down to lack of use, worth getting a trickle charger if you got a garage or access to a plug socket. My sister was in same boat, she was using her car less cos the bus was easier and cheaper to get to work, so got her a CTEK trickle charger and showed her how to connect up and she now uses it with ease. The CTEKs have both crocodile clips or a permanent Battery connection with a quick release, so you can have easy or very easy connections. This was on a Battery that was few years old, so not it's best, but this kept in good condition and it lasted well over 6 years.

• Like 1

Hi Laura,

You took the car to Halford's they should have Checked the CCA. Give them a ring and ask if this is part of the Battery check that is included. 👍

A couple of things are confusing me about the original post. You said you bought the Battery in October, was that October 2022.? The other thing confusing me is you said it’s had a couple of long runs and it’s been fine every other year. Where did you buy the Battery? A new Battery will usually come with a year warranty. Another thing is if the car is only used once a month and on short runs, it’s losing charge every time and not getting a long enough run to replace the drain on the battery.  So it will eventually fail and fail more quickly in cold temperatures. Have you taken it to the shop where you bought it and have it checked?. Have you had the car’s alternator checked?.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

A couple of things are confusing me about the original post. You said you bought the battery in October, was that October 2022.? The other thing confusing me is you said it’s had a couple of long runs and it’s been fine every other year. Where did you buy the battery? A new battery will usually come with a year warranty. Another thing is if the car is only used once a month and on short runs, it’s losing charge every time and not getting a long enough run to replace the drain on the battery.  So it will eventually fail and fail more quickly in cold temperatures. Have you taken it to the shop where you bought it and have it checked?. Have you had the car’s alternator checked?.

From the original post Halfords apparently tested the alternator.

• Like 1

My wife has the same problem, very short runs and Battery failure, the Battery is 8 YEARS old. Took it to the local auto parts shop Battery tested ok. Told me to put it on a charger and it would be fine. Due to short runs I now pop it on the charger for a top-up once every month or five weeks. Problem solved. Auto shop owner told me how his wife’s battery had the same problem.😆.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bper said:

From the original post Halfords apparently tested the alternator.

All these shops where people can get a job to work on cars if they have experience as a student in a car wash (or baking fish and chips) :

I only believe my own eyes if they make whatever diagnosis.

For the OP : ask them to print the ticket or to see yourself the info on the screen : number of CCA / verdict good Battery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

My wife has the same problem, very short runs and battery failure, the battery is 8 YEARS old. Took it to the local auto parts shop battery tested ok. Told me to put it on a charger and it would be fine. Due to short runs I now pop it on the charger for a top-up once every month or five weeks. Problem solved. Auto shop owner told me how his wife’s battery had the same problem.😆.

Funny how this works we have a few neighbours that only use cars for local shopping . They leave there cars on the driveways and never seem to have a problem with starting. They don't charge the Battery either. 🤔

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bper said:

Funny how this works we have a few neighbours that only use cars for local shopping . They leave there cars on the driveways and never seem to have a problem with starting. They don't charge the battery either. 🤔

One Battery is not the other..  one car is not the other...

Not every neighbour will post every problem to start on Facebook.

My neighbours never seem to eat and drink. Still I am sure they do.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Puglet said:

As mentioned above, if it all checks out and it just down to lack of use, worth getting a trickle charger if you got a garage or access to a plug socket. My sister was in same boat, she was using her car less cos the bus was easier and cheaper to get to work, so got her a CTEK trickle charger and showed her how to connect up and she now uses it with ease. The CTEKs have both crocodile clips or a permanent battery connection with a quick release, so you can have easy or very easy connections. This was on a battery that was few years old, so not it's best, but this kept in good condition and it lasted well over 6 years.

Thanks Puglet, sadly I don't have access to a plug socket near the car as it's in a residential communal car park and not close enough to my flat. Long shot but I'm wondering if there are chargers like this available where you physically take the Battery out to charge closer to the mains, or that you can charge up in advance of attaching to the Battery? I do have a Gooloo Battery booster now but obviously that only jumpstarts it.

15 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Laura,

You took the car to Halford's they should have Checked the CCA. Give them a ring and ask if this is part of the battery check that is included. 👍

Thanks Bob and Ivan, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't check the CCA at Halfords, they only spent about 3 minutes with the car. But I do now have it booked in for a full battery check at Toyota/Jemca next week so hoping that will throw up any issues.

14 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

A couple of things are confusing me about the original post. You said you bought the battery in October, was that October 2022.? The other thing confusing me is you said it’s had a couple of long runs and it’s been fine every other year. Where did you buy the battery? A new battery will usually come with a year warranty. Another thing is if the car is only used once a month and on short runs, it’s losing charge every time and not getting a long enough run to replace the drain on the battery.  So it will eventually fail and fail more quickly in cold temperatures. Have you taken it to the shop where you bought it and have it checked?. Have you had the car’s alternator checked?.

Thanks Bernard. Yep, battery bought in October 2022 from Halfords (supposedly with a 5yr warranty). I'm using the car once a week rather than once a month, and it's been on longer journeys since the battery change (eg a 200+ mile trip at Christmas, driving it for 1 hour plus at other times recently. Shorter trips are more like 15 - 40 minutes for me). But my work routine and living in Greater London mean that I'd like to be able to leave it for 7 days sometimes and ideally not have to worry about it going flat. I've been able to do this in other years up until now. But totally understand if the age of the car + winter means I need to find a way of trickle charging. Ideally I don't have the time to be driving the car more just for the sake of it.

Hopefully the diagnostics at Toyota next week and/or asking Halfords to exchange the battery will solve it 🤞 Thanks everyone for the help!

• Like 3

@Laura_my usage during lockdown was very similar to yours and on a couple of occasions the MyToyota app warned of a low Battery state, however it never discharged completely and it always started first time.

That was when the vehicle/battery was around 10 months old.

As I said previously, it has just been left for 89 days and started first time.

• Like 3