Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drivers door not unlocking

Dave Bar

Hi can anyone help my Toyota Corolla drivers door wont unlock in this cold weather

Hi David and welcome, 

Your drivers door won’t unlock with remote control or with the built in key? 
Thanks 

Hi Tony all doors unlock but the Drvers door wont even from the inside I have tried the key blade as well I think it gets frozen somewhere when it warms up its ok its been -3 here

• Thanks 1

If you have ever used warm water to defrost your car windows water may have gotten into the lock and it hasn’t thawed out yet.

• Like 1

Yes, very likely. You may have some rubber plugs left in the bottom of the doors and your drivers door may have some water buildup inside and something really could have been frozen. Perhaps best bet for now is to wait for the weather to warm up and re check those plugs been removed and eventually all water and moisture drained out. Toyota cars in general are very reliable with door locks etc. Those on pictures needs to be removed 👍

0B2AEBA3-AA7C-4574-A44E-1412A71E0DE8.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, Bernard Foy said:

If you have ever used warm water to defrost your car windows water may have gotten into the lock and it hasn’t thawed out yet.

Thanks the only thing I have done is wash the car but we had a lot of heavy rain before the freeze seems ok at the moment fingers crossed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yes, very likely. You may have some rubber plugs left in the bottom of the doors and your drivers door may have some water buildup inside and something really could have been frozen. Perhaps best bet for now is to wait for the weather to warm up and re check those plugs been removed and eventually all water and moisture drained out. Toyota cars in general are very reliable with door locks etc. Those on pictures needs to be removed 👍

0B2AEBA3-AA7C-4574-A44E-1412A71E0DE8.jpeg

One of the first things I checked when i got delivery of my Corolla back in March 🙂

On 1/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, Bernard Foy said:

I don't use just warm water anymore.

Just buy a bottle of Rubbing Alcohol and mix 1 part with 2 part water into a spray bottle... last for ages and also works out cheaper than buying de-icer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

I don't use just warm water anymore.

Just buy a bottle of Rubbing Alcohol and mix 1 part with 2 part water into a spray bottle... last for ages and also works out cheaper than buying de-icer.

Hopefully it’s paint friendly David 

27 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hopefully it’s paint friendly David 

It sure is 🙂

Checked the ingredients and the main parts are just the same as what is in de-icer anyhow.  You just have to mix it yourself.

Anyhow - rubbing/cleaning alcohol is okay.  Generally you mix 2/3 alcohol with 1/3 water... but t'other way round works just as good here in the UK.

• Like 1

I never use water or any other liquid on side windows in cold weather.
The heating will clean them after 10 min but if I need cleaned quickly I do them with ice scraper bought from Tesco, works well. Here same available on Amazon https://amzn.eu/d/diK1yLS 
Drivers door mechanical key look I do with wd-40 every few months and never stopped working or been frozen, I tried it at -4C° one morning and it worked ok. 👍 

• Like 1

i only ever use a graphite spray in any lock car or house.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links