Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter mpg

Bonny

Morning all,

what are you guys winter mpg on your Corolla 2.O TS hybrids , mine has dropped like a stone in this very cold weather 

i am currently getting in between 40-45 mpg driving like a saint . Last serviced November plus Hybrid health check .

cheers 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Bonny said:

Morning all,

what are you guys winter mpg on your Corolla 2.O TS hybrids , mine has dropped like a stone in this very cold weather 

i am currently getting in between 40-45 mpg driving like a saint . Last serviced November plus Hybrid health check .

cheers 

Similar to what my 2 litre hybrid C-HR is currently returning. 

It will improve again once the weather warms up. 

• Like 3

Ouch!  Dont like the  sound of 45 ish mpg - I would have hoped for better even if the 2.0 has 180+bhp.

According to my dash display ...  I am getting an average of 52.5 at present from my 2.0 TS on 17" wheels and oe Falken tyres.  I never reset the display so set to whatever default.  MPG was a little better in warmer weather, and is better in town /on lanes rather than steady motorway speeds. 

• Like 2

I know from previous experience that the 2 litre hybrid can easily beat the official published average MPG figures once the weather warms up again. 

• Like 5

These are pretty normal figures 40-45mpg in freezing cold. 1.8 variants will get around 8-10mpg more in any conditions. My one is around 53mpg now, old Auris 1.8h. Steady motorway drives are also fuel efficient but you need to maintain lower average speeds 60mph, anything above will cut some mpg, more speed = more fuel. 👍

• Like 2

My 1.8 has dropped but because I'm not now commuting it's not dropped as badly. Since I only use it to drive to golf courses in the main I'm avoiding the worst of the weather.

Before work-from-home it would drop from mid 60s to low 50s. At the moment it's hovering around high 50s.

• Like 2

My average (2.0 Excel i.e. larger wheels ) is 48mpg so better than some although I tend to stay at around 60mph on the short motorway run to work. I think that the speed is key here.

• Like 2

My average is 52.7, but it definitely drops in the colder weather. I recently got my lowest tank which was 42.7.

• Like 3

Normal, nothing to worry about. My Yaris can be low 70 in the summer to 45-50 in winters on short run. Nothing new. 

• Like 3

48 on current tank, and dropping with lots of short trips (4miles each way) to station in freezing conditions. Can’t wait for summer when longer drives & warmer weather will see 56-60mpg 

• Like 4

I must admit that after owning the vehicle for just over a year and constantly watching the MPG screen, I have finally switched screens and just drive! I'm still tempted to switch back and have a look! 🤣

• Like 7

It's the heating; If you turn off the climate control and heating completely the car will have a lot higher mpg, but then you'll be freezing your proverbials off so it's not a great choice.

The problem is the engine is very efficient and doesn't generate much waste heat, so it has to run pretty much all the time if it's really cold to generate enough to heat the cabin, and that hamstrings its ability to switch to running on the electric motors.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's the heating; If you turn off the climate control and heating completely the car will have a lot higher mpg, but then you'll be freezing your proverbials off so it's not a great choice.

The problem is the engine is very efficient and doesn't generate much waste heat, so it has to run pretty much all the time if it's really cold to generate enough to heat the cabin, and that hamstrings its ability to switch to running on the electric motors.

It has to be under a lot of load as well - notice how much electricity is being generated by the engine overrevving to get some heat in? Really noticed it today. HV Battery getting very full and engine still running 

• Like 5

Mine is averaging around 47-48 at the moment

I use normal mode, I'm driving normally with climate control, heated seat on & it's still better then my previous car so I'm happy 😀

Come warmer weather the figure will improve again.

MPG_054121.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Gray86 said:

It has to be under a lot of load as well - notice how much electricity is being generated by the engine overrevving to get some heat in? Really noticed it today. HV battery getting very full and engine still running 

At least we have that advantage over conventional ICE vehicles. As long as the Battery is capable of taking the charge we're not really wasting fuel.

The moral of the story might be that it's preferable to arrive home with the traction Battery as discharged as possible.

It's something I've been doing all along. I've worked out exactly where I can drop into EV mode on the approach to town so as to drive as much of the last couple of miles on electric as possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did two identical journeys Saturday and Wednesday.  The first was in poor viz, heavy rain and spray, positive temperature.  The  second brilliant sunshine and sun zero. 

The  first achieved 50 mpg at 40 mph average and the second 62 mpg at 37 mph.  Both were about 30 miles.  Traffic was slight heavier in the town portion on journey 2.

More resistance driving in the wet and wipers on? 

• Like 2

higher air humidity in winter:
affects consumption
washer fluid behaves differently (leaves a mark on the wiper)
weather modification?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

At least we have that advantage over conventional ICE vehicles. As long as the battery is capable of taking the charge we're not really wasting fuel.

That's a thing that annoys me with mine - It will sometimes just run the engine without driving the wheels or charging the Battery, so literally wasting fuel to heat up the cabin!

I could be driving, with MG2 driving the car powered by the Battery, and the engine will run without helping with moving the car or charging! It wouldn't even be that bad if it did this because the Battery is full, but I've seen it do it with the charge meter at 3/8 blocks!

Very strange!

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I did two identical journeys Saturday and Wednesday.  The first was in poor viz, heavy rain and spray, positive temperature.  The  second brilliant sunshine and sun zero. 

The  first achieved 50 mpg at 40 mph average and the second 62 mpg at 37 mph.  Both were about 30 miles.  Traffic was slight heavier in the town portion on journey 2.

More resistance driving in the wet and wipers on? 

It is! :biggrin: Most people don't realize this, but driving through the rain or even on a wet road adds a shedload of drag. It doesn't feel like a lot to us slower moving humans, but at the speeds a car goes at the drag force becomes quite significant.

Even in the rain, every raindrop the car hits slows it down a little; It's practically nothing, but when there are that many rain drops it adds up! :laugh: 

When you're trying to hit higher mpgs, all this stuff starts to make a bigger difference; Even the colder air being denser adds that much more drag compared to less dense summer hot air!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I use normal mode, I'm driving normally with climate control, heated seat on & it's still better then my previous car so I'm happy 😀

Come warmer weather the figure will improve again.

MPG_054121.jpg

Sorry for going off topic, but is that the JBL system in your TS?

16 minutes ago, JayCee88 said:

Sorry for going off topic, but is that the JBL system in your TS?

It's a C-HR ( Corolla in disguise ) 

After filling the tank full and re setting mpg I did a couple of 2 mile trips in freezing temps and got 36 mpg. How low can you go 🥶

im getting about 30-35 mpg but have been on short trips

Yeah. These 2.0 ltr hybrids really take a hit on the short cold trips in winter.

• Like 3