Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter mpg

Bonny

I’m getting 57 on the display I force mine into ev when there is enough charge in the Battery in the winter when sat at traffic lights don’t worry to much about the cabin heating the heated seat helps obviously when the car goes over 25 mph the engine then cuts in.

• Like 2

Look on th bright side its not a pure EV vehicle with short range and some dont even acept a charge if tempritures are below freezing unless its in a warm garage.

• Like 4

1.8 TS icon tech real life MPG last few trips to the petrol station. The lower temperatures definitely affect the fuel consumption - doing the same 30 mile commute(70% motorway  and 30% in the traffic) every day Screenshot_20230122_083624_Fuelio.thumb.jpg.dd0f0a69ecfa3902d07e38da5fb44e34.jpg

• Like 3

Nice, looks good :thumbsup: 

What app is that you're using to record your mpg?

17 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Nice, looks good :thumbsup: 

What app is that you're using to record your mpg?

Fuelio 

Probably had to mention real life MPG summer time was never lower than 61.5 going up to 67.5 on a fill up. Always fill up when I get down to a quarter of a tank. Since I started recording this in the app my real life MPG stands at 61.56 - around 15k miles driven

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers, I'll have a look! Does it need an account? And does it allow e.g. CSV import/export?

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Cheers, I'll have a look! Does it need an account? And does it allow e.g. CSV import/export?

Might sound silly, but I am not sure if it needs to register an account- don't think I have one as I can not see this anywhere, also don't remember if I've registered one too. Not sure how the import/export works too. Recently changed my phone and couldn't manage to transfer the info to the new one. Ended up putting all info as a single fuel fill up to keep my old fuel expenses- hope this makes sense.

Haven't bothered trying hard to work this out though- just a quick solution...

Just have this habit to check my real life fuel consumption and this app works for me. There are many similar, though. Other ones might be better.

• Like 3

No worries! It's just OCD people like me who worry about such things :laugh: 

I was mainly asking as I normally dump the stats to a spreadsheet so having import/export is essential for that. The account thing was just to see if the data is stored on your phone or 'in the cloud' (I avoid anything in 'the cloud' like the plague as I've been burned too many times by them changing the terms and then holding your data hostage!)

• Like 2

1.8 hybrids are always 10mpg ahead of 2.0 variants. , they are coming close to Prius and Yaris league. The 2.0 hybrid it’s very different set up, heavier 100+kg than 1.8 and often with efficiency killer 18” wheels. The only time when both 1.8 and 2.0 can come very close is if driven on motorways at 70mph + and both cars has same size wheels. The more powerful 2.0 engine will compensate the extra drag from aerodynamics and higher speeds plus the extra mass of the car and the consumption will equalises between two. Slow speeds and town drives the 1.8 its clearly a winner. 
It will be interesting to see how the new 2023 models compare each other and how much of a difference between 1.8 and 2.0. 

• Like 4

On 1/20/2023 at 9:08 AM, forkingabout said:

Similar to what my 2 litre hybrid C-HR is currently returning. 

It will improve again once the weather warms up. 

First Winter with my 2.0 GR Sport. When I got it in September, got a high of 56.4, but at the moment (when I get the car back!), it was showing 51.3...

• Like 3

There are moments time to time when I regret not going for the 2L

The PCP was only £20 more per month at a time. Yet with my 20k + miles per year it was kinda easy decision going for the 1.8 The difference would be close to extra £1000 per year for the £20 monthly PCP+ more fuel+ possibly slightly higher insurance 

• Like 4

About 45 mpg here. During the warmer weather it was about 65-68 mpg.

• Like 4

Got my lowest mpg ever in my Auris last night . Was freezing cold -6C° and I was not driving much but needed to work from the car and as soon as I turned off the cold was getting in so kept pretty much all night on.
Here the results 43mpg and when I filled up with petrol in the morning dead on 43mpg consumption confirmed by the tank.  
Still very good imo. 
image.thumb.jpeg.0f4ca52721bc9216c1e847561735a625.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.371fe7465ec36039178b8b7d4db1622f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cc157c5a29df588ba2f7e1e7ddb6161a.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 11:06 AM, Cyker said:

That's a thing that annoys me with mine - It will sometimes just run the engine without driving the wheels or charging the battery, so literally wasting fuel to heat up the cabin!

I could be driving, with MG2 driving the car powered by the battery, and the engine will run without helping with moving the car or charging! It wouldn't even be that bad if it did this because the battery is full, but I've seen it do it with the charge meter at 3/8 blocks!

Very strange!

It is! :biggrin: Most people don't realize this, but driving through the rain or even on a wet road adds a shedload of drag. It doesn't feel like a lot to us slower moving humans, but at the speeds a car goes at the drag force becomes quite significant.

Even in the rain, every raindrop the car hits slows it down a little; It's practically nothing, but when there are that many rain drops it adds up! :laugh: 

When you're trying to hit higher mpgs, all this stuff starts to make a bigger difference; Even the colder air being denser adds that much more drag compared to less dense summer hot air!

The other (possibly) unknown variant when comparing journeys on the same route is wind, of course. A headwind would have to be quite significant for it to be noticeable in a car, other than in the mpg drop (or increase if there's a tailwind). 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dee123456 said:

About 45 mpg here. During the warmer weather it was about 65-68 mpg.

Sheesh that's a big drop. It really is grim up north 😄

• Haha 2

Hi Guys 

thanks for all of your comments, roll on the warmer weather . Do you think Toyota should publish average summer and winter MPG figures 

cheers 

Bonny 

37 minutes ago, Bonny said:

Do you think Toyota should publish average summer and winter MPG figures

Not unless other manufacturers are required to. All vehicles suffer an increase in fuel consumption over winter. My experience suggests it might be a slightly worse increase for the Corolla (perhaps just the nature of hybrids) but it still returns better figures than a non-hybrid.

• Like 2

All ice cars together with all bevs will loose some of their efficiency during cold weather. Every hybrid owner had this event happening every winter on their previous motors although they may never had noticed because of two reasons:  

-first because they were not interested in fuel consumption as much as of now driving an fuel efficient car

- second, the more efficient is the car the more prone to temperatures change losses is. 
Toyota engines used in hybrids are the most thermal efficient on the market in a mass produced vehicles, the 1.5 and 2.0 is 40% and the 1.8 is 39% 

Thats why we have often seen written - “my previous car wasn’t that much affected by the cold weather”, well, perhaps it was affected too but obviously the car was not as efficient at first place to begin with 👍

• Like 4

I am happy to say I am still returning 60+ on some regular journeys but concede sub 60 on the return legs. 

• Like 4

On my latest tank fill, my MPG dropped to 40.3mpg. Seriously freezing temperatures also very short journeys, and allowing the car to run with all heating systems flat out etc for at least 10 minutes before starting out on these mini journeys (average round trip 3km) so my best MPG on a long journey in summer was 73MPG. The figures are all full tank to full tank not the car computer figures.

• Like 2

As there are so many factors, too many to list, I think how different MPG is calculated is relatively unimportant. 

While two undefined journeys may return quite different MPG the monthly analytics give a clearer picture and the profiles will have the same shape of peaks and troughs. 

• Like 1

Since we are taking about winter mpg I want to share this. 
In certain conditions and driving patterns during cold  temperatures you may be able to get the best efficiency out of the car. For that to happen you will need to drive long distance and longer time without stopping. The engine needs to maintain constant working temperature and load. I had my best fuel consumptions noted in both hybrids and diesel cars while been cold outside. 
Here is why: -“
Cool air is dense and carries more oxygen with it. The more oxygen is in the air, the more power is consumed due to efficient combustion. As a result, fuel burns more evenly and the engine will produce more power with less fuel consumption.”

image.thumb.jpeg.58a25571dc56081baf832db0207757b0.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

image.thumb.jpeg.58a25571dc56081baf832db0207757b0.jpeg

Oh, I do have fond memories of the Prius Plus! Fabulastic transportation device 🙂

Your fuel economy was probably also helped by slightly stiffer rubber in the cold tyres, and the wind blowing in the right direction, and dry roads, and homesickness. 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, APS said:

Oh, I do have fond memories of the Prius Plus! Fabulastic transportation device 🙂

Your fuel economy was probably also helped by slightly stiffer rubber in the cold tyres, and the wind blowing in the right direction, and dry roads, and homesickness. 😇

Plus if you had any brass monkeys onboard they wouldn't weigh as much 😄

• Haha 2