Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter mpg

Bonny

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Since we are taking about winter mpg I want to share this. 
In certain conditions and driving patterns during cold  temperatures you may be able to get the best efficiency out of the car. For that to happen you will need to drive long distance and longer time without stopping. The engine needs to maintain constant working temperature and load. I had my best fuel consumptions noted in both hybrids and diesel cars while been cold outside. 
Here is why: -“
Cool air is dense and carries more oxygen with it. The more oxygen is in the air, the more power is consumed due to efficient combustion. As a result, fuel burns more evenly and the engine will produce more power with less fuel consumption.”

image.thumb.jpeg.58a25571dc56081baf832db0207757b0.jpeg

I’m not sure I believe all of that quote. Combustion engines cars do make more power in colder conditions (as it says), particularly turbo cars. Every car I’ve owned, and for the last 18 years of driving (350k miles) each car has used more fuel in winter, by a noticeable amount. Toyota hybrids by far the biggest drop in winter vs Summer. My best MPG in cars has always been on a warm (but not too hot) day, using 95RON (even on turbo cars that made more power on 99RON) 

• Like 2

I have a 2.0 ltr corolla sport hybrid, filled the tank.. Est trip mileage 460 I actually achieved 250 miles. Cabin heating system surely cant be running the engine management system. Engine will run when car is coasting down hill and also when stopped. The only thing that stops the car engine running on is to turn the heating off. Its a bit of a joke, out of £40 of petrol £20 is spent on heating.

• Confused 1

As a throwaway, got our best consumption in our Yaris Cross.  73 mpg temp at +8.

The secret?  We were travelling down the A1 (a downhill section) on a 25 mile journey.  We had time in hand so I was content following two car transporters at 43 mph.  We picked up speed on the run off the A1 to Peterborough.

It gave a good example of both reduced speed and favourable road conditions.  More typically on the return we only got 56 mpg whilst cruising at 62.

The height change each way was 110 metres.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kenthis said:

I have a 2.0 ltr corolla sport hybrid, filled the tank.. Est trip mileage 460 I actually achieved 250 miles. Cabin heating system surely cant be running the engine management system. Engine will run when car is coasting down hill and also when stopped. The only thing that stops the car engine running on is to turn the heating off. Its a bit of a joke, out of £40 of petrol £20 is spent on heating.

Hi Ken,  
the calculation you had made it’s perhaps an estimated not the exact one , right?  
Every car including diesels or electric, even the hydrogen electric cars will loose efficiency in colder weather and particularly freezing temperatures as we had recently.
Your car in summer time will do around 47-56mpg on average in normal driving conditions ( not sport or aggressive driving style)- these aren’t suitable for Toyota hybrids. 
Motorways or towns drives the fuel efficiency will not vary so much because it’s a hybrid, only exception here are ultra short town trips like less than 5 miles each. 
During the cold months your car can reduce efficiency by 5-10mpg or even slightly more. This is normal occurrence and nothing to worry about.
I am sure that you will do more than 300-330 miles to the tank if keep driving. 
Another thing , if you use E5 99 petrol instead of 95 E10 you may notice better engine performance and slightly lower fuel consumption. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was probably the warmest day in UK so far (15 degrees C.) this year and I saw an improvement with the fuel economy - 71.5 MPG on the dash

180 miles trip mainly motorway (M3, M25 and M11), cruis control set on 70mph, 2 people and 2 suitcases for half of the trip in the car

1.8 TS icon tech

Love to see those numbers back!!!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links