Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Theft prevention and aftercare (tracking)

haelewyn

Standard, in the ENVY model, there is app connection where you can always check the position of the vehicle.

That only works when it's parked and not all drives have been registered so far.

Would it be wise to install a tracker (magnet) with no subscription but perhaps with sim card...  which one ?

I already keep my keys in a protected box or pouch (Faraday principle) to block the bad guys from intercepting my keyfob signal.  

A keypad where you need to type a code or anything like that would maybe be a good idea.. but couldn't find one available so far.

What else exists ?

I don't feel like installing wheel or steering wheel blocking devices : too much effort involved.

Ivan, depends on the balance or risk against convenience. 

I would much rather have my car outside, undamaged, than recovered but damaged. 

Your DIY tracker is fine for knowing where your car is, but how do you propose to recover it? 

• Like 1

Ask the police to get it back...

Go after it myself if I can borrow or rent a car at that time..

Prevention is best.  That's why I would like am other electronic device like keypad, etc.

Maybe a wire to the car with a fuse on it. Hidden out of sight.

All ideas welcome..

As non-UK I don't know how your police would respond. For an Aygo I don't see them bursting into a garage or warehouse on a report from a DIY tracker. 

Going after it yourself; you and whose army springs to mind.  Your car is more likely to be stolen by joyriders or criminals and torched before recovery. 

A wire to a fuse? 

That suggests an immobiliser that might work.  We had a 'cash van' with an immobiliser behind the driver.  It was a simple plug like an old PBX jack or headphone plug. Pulled out it isolated the ignition. You could break the electric path and make the plug an essential part of the ignition. 

It might stop a drive away but you still have a smashed window.  A big FO yellow plate over the steering wheel acts as a deterrent. 

• Like 3

The Aygo has always had an immobiliser as standard, not sure if an alarm would be a better deterrant?

• Like 2

Apart from an alarm going off outside your home when you are at home I don't think audible alarms work at all. 

When a house alarm sounds off how many people can even find the source? 

How often do you hear a car alarm in a car park and no one even looks?

My house alarm and cameras at least send me an email and alert. 

• Like 2

Google CarLock, I have one in my Aygo X.  For what it costs, to me, its worth it and it does actually do what they advertise.  Doesn't stop someone driving off, but notifies you immediately and you can track it.  The downside is, it can be unplugged from the OBD port, but when that's done, it still sends you a notification.  There is also a connect direct to your Battery version...again, it can be disconnected,  but you still get notified.

To be honest, if someone is stupid enough and steal a Aygo for whatever reason, they must be crazy and to be honest, if mine is stolen, I don't want it back !!!

So for me, the CarLock is a bit of a car gadget, but it does come in handy sometimes.

• Like 5

Lada was once in the top 3 of most stolen vehicles.

If they would offer me a Lada for free or a Big Mac... I would doubt my answer heavily.

I hope it won't come to that but whatever the market wants.. gets stolen.

Until now the aygo X is a rare car here.  So maybe no big demand for parts or the entire car.

Google car lock : will look into it. Thanks.

A device that switches the car off or cuts the power a lot would be nice too... and it exists.

• Like 3

And with CarLock, you get a full 30 days trial and if you don't like it for whatever reason, you get a full refund.  Their selling base is Amazon UK.  The CarLock customer services have been pretty good.  I had a few pre purchase questions and they always replied.  They also replied to Post Sale questions.

• Like 2

I've always used mechanical devices, steering wheel locks or wheel locks, VIN etching or aftermarket alarms. Know they are only a deterrent, so if it still stolen not sure I want it back anyways cos it could be wrecked, stripped etc. If I did track it down who knows what could happen, although I love my car, I love my body parts more.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Lada was once in the top 3 of most stolen vehicles.

They where being bought up & shipped back to Russia as there was huge demand for them - some may have also left the UK unofficially for the boat ride back home.  

Aygo / Aygo X isn't going to be high on car thieves shopping list. 

• Like 1

I was once sitting next to a Russian officer on a CSFE inspection tour.  He was browsing the car section of Exchange and Mart. 

They also used to have a tug stationed off the Shetlands.  It did not have permission to enter our territorial waters except if sheltering from a storm or humanitarian reasons such as picking up fresh food or car parts (actually neither was permitted but money is money).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Aygo / Aygo X isn't going to be high on car thieves shopping list. 

Even if mine would be the only one they steal in Europe,  it's one too much certainly ! 😜

• Like 1

Aygo stolen be a rare event, unless just for the fun factor. I think there is a higher risk of been dismantled on the street for parts by nasty thieves then the whole car taken away, similar to what happens here in UK with latest Yaris and many other cars. Crashed cars been sold on auctions , local trader buy them with intention to repair and put back in the road, then parts shortages push them to ask the nasty boys to steal by order and here we have completely stripped off cars all around. Bad but you can’t prevent it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is it time for... MAGNAVOLT??

Also, this is supposed to be for preventing bicycle theft but could be adapted for cars too...

• Haha 1

This security system could be an option 🤔

• Haha 3

Yikes, I think you'd need Dan's Total Loss Protection policy to go with that one! :eek: 

I think Honda's new system shows promise...

• Haha 1

Here is what I meant to. Really serious risk to all small cars as in general these are most common to be written off as been used by young and inexperience drivers.  
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11679851/Women-left-devastated-car-cannibals-strip-Citroen-C1-just-two-hours.html

• Sad 1

Decent deadlocks & having to open a front door to pull the interior bonnet release handle would help stop a lot of these attacks.

My previous 308 T9 you couldn't get to the interior bonnet release handle as the passenger door card trim blocked it - passenger door had to be open first for access to the handle.

yes my aygo you need to have it unlocked before doing anything under the bonnet as the catch release is on the passenger side interior

We had a Landcruiser completely stripped, all interior, seats, dash, wings, bonnet, lamps, wheels etc, never even alerted the CCTV cameras. They then sprayed a bleach solution all over the car and interior to kill any DNA I presume. Unreal, these people are out there folks 

52 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

my aygo you need to have it unlocked before doing anything under the bonnet

Presumably they smashed the passenger door glass to access the bonnet lever. The reason it is on the passenger side is probably more to do with Stellantis (formerly PSA) wanting production standardised for RHD/LHD versions.

I once left my SAAB at the Lancia garage (they had the SAAB contract) but absentmindedly locked it.  When I returned the garage had managed to complete the service except for running and road testing the car.

The gear lever lock that SAAB used was far superior to the steering wheel locks of those days.