Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tests of 2022 Yaris Cross Dynamic AWD on Very Slippery Incline

BobHos

4 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Hi Robert.  No it’s just a very capable 2wd with summer tyres but hasn’t met with any difficult road conditions so far.  Unusually, the higher parts of South Lanarkshire missed out on the recent heavy snow, unlike the white out conditions suffered in your area.

Hi again Jim. The slippery slope tests I carried out were on an awd Cross and not on a fwd Cross so I cannot vouch for the fwd Cross. You were probably aware of that but I just wanted to make sure that you understood  and were not lulled into a sense of false security.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Hi Robert.  No it’s just a very capable 2wd with summer tyres but hasn’t met with any difficult road conditions so far.  Unusually, the higher parts of South Lanarkshire missed out on the recent heavy snow, unlike the white out conditions suffered in your area.

Edited by BobHos
double entry

Just to add something for all new to the hybrids that haven’t experienced many snow and ice driving conditions.
These cars has very sophisticated traction control that works precisely and helps a ton when one wheel loose grip. However if both driving wheels loose grip equally the system cuts off any power going to them and you can get literally stuck without been able to move at all. The only way to deal with this situation is to turn off traction control and get yourselves out of there with wheels spinning, no need to be pedal to the floor though. 
This apply to fwd Toyota hybrids, and I have tested myself many times 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/23/2023 at 6:18 PM, TonyHSD said:

What tyres have you got fitted, if stock summer ones are they Goodyear efficient grip or Falkens? 
I found recently my new summer Goodyear’s did so well on snow and ice that it made feel I am on all season tyres instead of a summer ones.
Good to hear the awd works well 👍

I remember my awd Juke on brand new summer tyres in one of the recent sticky winters, it was excellent. I guess the treads are deep & sharp. Very few good all terrain tyres in the size.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hooray ! just managed to complete my winter driving capability tests of the Cross. I previously reported a very satisfactory set of tests on a steep "skating rink" and last night we had heavy snow fall (about 8 inches moist snow with underlying soft ice). The Cross behaved perfectly, even starting off on 1 in 12 incline, driving forward and reverse. Dive conditions were very bad and I observed several non - awd cars struggling.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BobHos said:

Hooray ! just managed to complete my winter driving capability tests of the Cross. I previously reported a very satisfactory set of tests on a steep "skating rink" and last night we had heavy snow fall (about 8 inches moist snow with underlying soft ice). The Cross behaved perfectly, even starting off on 1 in 12 incline, driving forward and reverse. Dive conditions were very bad and I observed several non - awd cars struggling.

I might get the chance to test mine this week Robert!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I might get the chance to test mine this week Robert!

Looks like a few members may get the chance to test theirs from Thursday on - 

• Like 4

I am sure that the wintery weather conditions have been fairly extensive down south today. Has no-one else got any trial results to report?

Someone phoned 5 Live a few minutes ago saying they got stuck in their range rover I guess it goes to show if the weather gets too bad the only thing that is going to move is a snow plough and people need to use a bit of common sense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Someone phoned 5 Live a few minutes ago saying they got stuck in their range rover I guess it goes to show if the weather gets too bad the only thing that is going to move is a snow plough and people need to use a bit of common sense. 

There’s footage somewhere of a RR stuck but they will do with these low rolling resistance summer tyres.  

• Like 2

An article on someone who go stranded last night. Screenshot_2023-03-10-08-38-33-176_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d3929ad66b20244a3f00f26e9172ebc5.jpg

• Like 3

A capable awd vehicle is only one component of safe and satisfactory winter driving. You also need a driver who understands the vehicles capabilities and performance along with skillfull winter driving knowledge and techniques. They also require an understanding of when and where not to venture.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BobHos said:

A capable awd vehicle is only one component of safe and satisfactory winter driving. You also need a driver who understands the vehicles capabilities and performance along with skillfull winter driving knowledge and techniques. They also require an understanding of when and where not to venture.

Yes dad. 🙂

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

Yes dad. 🙂

Hi son. Many years since I was in Durham. Good to hear from you at long last.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

There are different types of snow, some is dry and fluffy as it was last time here down in the south east of England before new year and I was getting away with new summer tyres so confident that I was feeling I am driving on all season or winter tyres. And here it comes the heavy weight, very wet and sticky snow like we have currently up north which usually melts and creates slushy conditions, this thing acts like a parking brake on the non driving axle and many vehicles will struggle with it even well equipped with more suitable tyres. The worst affected will be heavier vehicles like lorry and buses, then those with wider low profile summer tyres, then eco tyres and all others. 
Driver’s experience and winter ready cars are win win here. One tip though, reduce tyre pressure on the drive axle in your awd cars perhaps both axles if you get stuck in wet snow, sand or mud and chances to get out and continue your journey doubles immediately. Drive safe and stay warm. ️🏎🏁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

An article on someone who go stranded last night. Screenshot_2023-03-10-08-38-33-176_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d3929ad66b20244a3f00f26e9172ebc5.jpg

That was the woman that was on 5 live earlier today.

• Like 1

Mine has been a little star today.  The rear motor was contributing and it never flinched at any time.  I should have some Dashcam footage to follow.....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Mine has been a little star today.  The rear motor was contributing and it never flinched at any time.  I should have some dashcam footage to follow.....

Hi Don, you have had a long wait to put it through its paces. Glad to hear you were pleased with its performance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobHos said:

Hi Don, you have had a long wait to put it through its paces. Glad to hear you were pleased with its performance.

Real test for the all season tyres too.  
How is your one doing now with the summer ones in the snow?  
Thanks 

• Like 1

Absolutely no problem Don - no hesitation or spin on the steep incline covered with almost 8 inches moist snow with underlying soft ice. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobHos said:

Absolutely no problem Don - no hesitation or spin on the steep incline covered with almost 8 inches moist snow with underlying soft ice. 

Sorry Tony I thought it was Don asking about the tyres as he said earlier he replaced his summer Goodyear tyres with all season Continentals as soon as he got his car.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BobHos said:

Sorry Tony I thought it was Don asking about the tyres as he said earlier he replaced his summer Goodyear tyres with all season Continentals as soon as he got his car.

Thanks.
Good to hear they perform well in the snow too. When the tread  get lower like around 4mm or below then they will not be as good as now in slippery conditions, perhaps an all season one like Don has will be a better choice then. 👍

• Like 2

The problem with Derbyshire is, when the sun goes behind a cloud they shut all the roads in case some luvvie perishes.  I couldn’t find any steep enough roads still open to do a real tough test but it let me see what I wanted to see.  So far, I’ve never seen a flicker of the rear axle contributing on the on screen graphic but even crawling up the drive with a 4-6 inches of snow it was showing a balanced contribution.  I tried to encourage it to spin and it wouldn’t.  There was no snow in Manchester but when I got back I took it up to the station car park where I could do some little launches and again, it was boring - nothing happened.  Listening to your account Robert, maybe I wasted my money on these tyres but I’ll hang on to the Good Years and maybe fit them if I wear the Contis out.  I wasn’t sure what to expect with the AWD but I know the algorithms they use are different for dynamic than static (from years of development with ABS/VSC) and what I saw today justified every penny extra for the AWD over the FWD.  Might not for others but it does for me.  

• Like 6

Like you Don I really didn't know what to expect but, despite all the negative remarks, theories and "simulation tests" I intuitively felt that it would do the business and my tests have proved my intuition correct.

• Like 5

If you look at 4x4 off-road performance, the usual suspects are actually pretty poor when traction becomes marginal. They're simply too darn heavy.

I only got to drive my Mk.3 in "proper" snow/ice once, and it kept moving when others didn't. I was worried TC would be over-zealous, but it did OK.

I wanted to get a Suzuki Jimny, but because of the stupid EU rule regarding "fleet average CO2", they can't sell them in the UK now! Madness!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links