Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Tyre Pressure Monitor Corolla 2019

John Carnie

Had to have a TPM changed on one wheel (it had broken off going over a pothole) got me thinking. My display only shows there’s a problem with a tyre, not which wheel. Recent Corollas actually show which wheel. Why cannot Toyota issue a software update?

• Like 2

Hi John,

I assume you have the one light that comes on if any of the tyres have low pressure. I believe the newer models probably have a display that shows a pictorial of the car and if a tyre goes down it will show which one this is. As you do not have this on the dash then it would not show up. As I have the same on my Auris as you I am guessing this is why.

If not I am sure I will be put right on this. 🤔

John, the Yaris Cross, and probably the new Corolla, have the Smart Connect system.  The central display is far more detailed and includes a Vehicle option which has screens for MPG, Tyre Pressure, Power distribution very detailed.  

The Yaris Cross also has a City Pack option that retains the Touch 2 Go screen and its possible that does not have the tyre pressure display either. 

What I would say of the Smart Connect display is its a very inefficient use of a larger screen. It could present much of the information on one screen or 2 at most. 

I had a Skoda Octavia VRS that had a TPM - that relied on the ABS system to monitor radius of wheels, less accurate than the TPM sensors - but at least it told me which wheel. With my Toyota, the jobs only half done - it almost seemed a waste to have the sensor changed and the ecu updated!

• Like 1

Aye my 2019 Focus showed each wheel and the detected pressure.

3 hours ago, John Carnie said:

I had a Skoda Octavia VRS that had a TPM - that relied on the ABS system to monitor radius of wheels, less accurate than the TPM sensors - but at least it told me which wheel. With my Toyota, the jobs only half done - it almost seemed a waste to have the sensor changed and the ecu updated!

I agree. My Hondas all used the ABS system and it seems far more sensible than expensive sensors  that require care when replacing tyres and that end up being thrown away because they have non-replaceable batteries.

Although to be fair the cars did only have a single warning light same as the Corolla.

I never understood why that wasn't a thing with active TPMS sensors, but thankfully they have come to their senses on the newer cars. I must admit, having a live readout of all my tyres' pressures is really nice, especially on those horrible roads where it sounds like you've got a flat tyre! (Anyone who's driven on the M25 section around the A3 knows exactly what I mean!!)

I would think the upcoming version of the Corolla would have it too; It would be weird for the Yaris to have it but no the Corolla!

• Like 2

I have no personal experience of this device, however I think that other members here have fitted it successfully. It does seem to address the issue that is raised here - and something I would like myself. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004477013969.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Your link 404's for me :sad: 

For future reference you don't need to copy-pasta the whole thing, just the bit up to, and not including, the first ?

So e.g.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004477013969.html

works much better!!

Might have to see if there's one suitable for the C-HR 🤔

• Like 2

Yes the Yaris does have this individual tyre pressure reading but the Corolla does not (absolutely daft if you ask me)...

Surely Toyota should come up with a software update if the new 23 Corolla has it... but not holding out for them to do this.  But like mentioned it is great if you feel a tyre is low or flat, or if you hit a gap or pot-hole etc. then you can briefly check whilst driving and if you notice you can be prepared to pull over.

My 17 plate Astra had this... just really feel Toyota not keeping up with the game - but why a Yaris but not Corolla???  This ought to be a standard item across all models.

• Like 3

MY2023 Corolla has the individual tyre pressure display.
Can be seen at 08:12 mark :

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Popama said:

Typical...

Should roll out the update to all previous models that have the capability and space > menu provision > display real estate accordingly!

My22 has the TPMS section but does nothing but a reset, etc.  This could be updated and rolled out to accommodate the simplistic tyre pressure values.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:55 PM, Cyker said:

Your link 404's for me :sad: 

For future reference you don't need to copy-pasta the whole thing, just the bit up to, and not including, the first ?

So e.g.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004477013969.html

works much better!!

Been thinking about this but not too sure myself as:

1) Involves removing trim and locating the module to plug in

2) Only shows pressure in kPA(AFAIK)

Since MY23 Corollas have individual pressure display I will hold on and hopefully this is released to MY22 model via OTA update. 

1) I completely agree, I did it to my Corolla TS in winter temperatures and I hurt my fingers. But I really wanted to know exactly which tire is leaking and not circle the car each time with the air pump to make sure I fix the pressure on the right tire/tires. Furthermore I was driving 4-5 months each year with the tire pressure light on because of the winter wheels. I would have to pay my dealer 200 pounds for a winter TPMS set and installation (and would gladly have done so if they would show each wheel pressure) to make the light go away and I preferred installing that device and use an aftermarket (HUF 4040 ) set of TPMS with cloned IDs of the original set.
2) Unless you have a soft spot for PSI values most air pumps have both PSI and kPA markings on the dials, including the one that came with the car. I would expect that the displayed units be controlled by the car settings not by the device itself. I will try to switch to imperial to see if I get PSI for the pressure sensors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 6:55 PM, Corollanutter said:

I have no personal experience of this device, however I think that other members here have fitted it successfully. It does seem to address the issue that is raised here - and something I would like myself. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004477013969.html

Yes, a couple of guys I know added that box and it works. I have an OBD2 Veepack bluetooth interface and the tyre assistant installed on my Android so if the light goes on I just connect it and read the real pressures.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:53 PM, Popama said:

That display is really cool and quite different from the MY21 Yaris Cross. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

That display is really cool and quite different from the MY21 Yaris Cross. 

I now realize that the tire display was also available on the previous equipment but only on some of the trim levels that offered this view. This particular picture is from a vehicle in Denmark.

May be an image of car and text that says '50 "I 7 0 km/h 油 HOLD 11:35 250 250 113km km 1/1 " 240 Exterior 7℃℃ 240 [kPa] READY D OPr ODO 50000 km HO'

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 7:55 PM, Corollanutter said:

Toyota TPMS system is very sensitive and never work reliably over long period of time with after market or FAKE Chinese TPMS. 

We always ended up bite the bullet getting original Denso/Pacific TPMS with unique engraved serial number. It is expensive but last really long >8 years.  On older model, we can short the TPMS receiver and get rid the TPMS light to pass MOT. I also feel TPMS is a waste of money and stupid. I don't  need it because I regularly check the pressure every month and it is free in gas station around us or get my own gauge.

John you are an exception.  In UK air is often at a price. I think many people only check their tyres when they look flat. Many tyres appear to be flat even when inflated.  

I had a slow puncture and when the  TPMS light lit (one for all) it was hard to spot the punctured wheel.  It was around 25 when it should have been 32.  Visually it would probably look OK at 10 or so. 

A light and readings must be a huge improvement in safety and economy. 

• Like 1

I wasn't a big fan of them as it just seemed like more complex systems to go wrong, but because my Mk4 tells me what all the tyre pressures are I love it now :laugh: 

I'm very lazy and having something that just tells me what all the pressures are so I don't have to walk round unscrewing and plugging in my giant twin-barrel pump 4 times every couple of weeks like I used to do is a big plus in my book :laugh: 

• Like 1

Why doesn't toyota just release a software update to add this feature?

• Like 2

Since they offer the feature in different trim levels I doubt they would cancel these differences retroactively. 

17 hours ago, mjjferreira said:

Why doesn't toyota just release a software update to add this feature?

Actually this could be a money making caper for Toyota. Many owners would love this additional TPMS feature. Toyota already offer Android Auto upgrades for cars without it. Surely its a simple software change to ECU/Display. Unless you know better.😀

As far as I know (and I often am wrong) they did not offer Android Auto on some trims but not on others. They did not have the license and once they got it all existing trims could opt/pay for the upgrade and all new deliveries came with it (regardless of trim level).