Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help needed. Daughters car driving me nuts

Noomy

Hi everyone

My daughter has a 2015 Yaris which has a small problem, The car drives and idles well except for the fact that it has ocasionally a small power drop (1 second or so) then goes back to normal. Feels like you have taken your foot of the pedal and put it back on again quickly. I took it for a long drive on cruise control and had no problems so I was won dering if it was the accelerator control sensor. Have any of you had a similar problems and could you shed anymore light on the problem. The car has done 210,000 km.

Thanks

Noomy

• Like 1

First you should check the cylinder compressions before guessing at what it maybe. That way you can see if the piston rings and valves are working as they should  

Hi Gary,

Could be defective fuel pump or filter. The fuel pump is responsible for supplying your vehicle with fuel, it can cause a loss of power when it begins to wear out or when the in-tank filter becomes clogged and prevents the free flow of fuel. Any lights on dash flashed on even temporary.

• Like 1

Moved to the Yaris forum.

I'd be surprised if it's either of those things as they aren't the sort of thing that tends to go wrong in Toyotas.

When it cuts out is it kindof like a brief hiccup or does it just feel underpowered for a long moment?

How is the car generally used; Regularly/occasionally? Short journeys? What country are you in and what's the fuel like?

My initial thought is it might be worth running some redex/fuel system cleaner/shell v-power through the car a few times as is it could be a build up of deposits in the fuel system that are breaking off and momentarily clogging the injectors or something, esp. if it happens while the accelerator is being held at a set position and isn't being moved.

If it does it while you are moving the pedal instead, it may be the accelerator position sensors (usually just normal potentiometers) need cleaning, but usually that'd flag up an engine code.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What country are you in

Presumably Australia.

• Thanks 1

Intermittent issues are hard to trace - likely cause is a misfire, i would have a look at misfire counts in scan data, if it's never had a set of plugs at 130k miles it's overdue, remove and inspect

ps. only use Denso plugs

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Intermittent issues are hard to trace - likely cause is a misfire, i would have a look at misfire counts in scan data, if it's never had a set of plugs at 130k miles it's overdue, remove and inspect

Am I missing a post re the mileage. At 130K miles, I would remove and replace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

(The OP says at the bottom the car's done 210k kilometres which is about 130k miles! :wink1:)

• Like 3

210,000 / 1.60934 = 130488 miles so i rounded it down to 130k miles

Mr Moo beat me to it

• Haha 3

What type of engine has the car? Plugs and fuel delivery components are good bet to start , air filter too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

210,000 / 1.60934 = 130488 miles so i rounded it down to 130k miles

Mr Moo beat me to it

Fastest finger first 

• Haha 2

Usually it’s not the car that drives fathers nuts 🤭🤔

• Haha 2

If it's a non hybrid it will be the 1.5 2NZ-FKE, saying that it could be the 1.5 1NZ-FE if it's a AUDM or NZ car (NCP131)

• Like 2