Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost any remaining trust in main dealer

Saxmaniac

Was surprised to see about a cupful of oil under car 2000 miles after dealer service. The sump plug was barely more than finger tight and had obviously been seeping for some time. There wasn't enough oil lost to cause a problem but if Toyota main dealer can't get a simple oil change right, I'm even more inclined to forget the warranty and not let it be touched by anyone else but me. I've not had good experience with this dealer from day one but not inclined to risk taking it to another in case they're worse!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 12

I'm sorry to hear that, this is the reason why I'm trying to solve mostly of problems that appear at my cars, including maintenance job...

• Like 8

That's one of the most important job with an oil change. Independent has never let me down on an oil change, do it every 12-18 months with all my cars. 

When a new Yaris eventually arrive later this year then will have to do it for about 3 years at dealers.

• Like 8

It sounds like you have not had a good experience with this dealer and it's not the first problem. I would change to another as not all dealers are equal or bad. Give another a chance .🙂

• Like 7

I'd provide written feedback to the dealer's senior management (and copy Toyota GB in) as, if they're not aware of issues, they should be made aware. This may help future customers. This doesn't prevent you trying another dealer who may be quite different.

• Like 9

That’s the first reason why I prefer to work on my car by myself and then the love of cars in general. Not all dealers are the same. There is also a luck involved, because even at the best rated place it might be someone who had a bad day working on your car or simply someone who doesn’t care about anything but just to kill the time until is ready to go home. I wish more mechanics and garages take pride of their work and do the things like the car care nut. 

• Like 9

Not a Toyota main dealer I know, but when I had my old Talbot autosleeper, I took it to a fast fit/accessory shop round the corner for an oil and filter change.

The first thing the young lad did was get in the cab with no seat covers on, and black greasy overalls and boots.

The second thing was he found the one and only deep pothole on the forecourt, knocked the tracking out.

He then went on to miraculously get it on the ramp without scraping the bodywork, the only good bit.🙄

Then under supervision, managed the high tech job of spannering off the sump plug to drain the oil, some of which went into a bucket.

Then the fully skilled mechanic took over,this was a much improved performance,he managed to unscrew the oil filter without mishap, and replace it.

He then went on to replace the sump plug,minus the washer ,and cross thread the plug, which only became apparent after I drove home and found my new oil pouring onto the drive.

Upon returning to the troupe of monkeys masquerading as mechanics to voice my opinion of their skills, and outline the damage, the even more highly skilled manager came out with a wrench to fix things.

He clambered under the engine and tried to tighten the cross threaded,unwashered plug, until I stopped him and explained that he could tighten it from now until the apocalypse, and it would still leak unless done properly.

Que mechanic number 4,who thankfully seemed to know what he was doing, replaced the sump plug properly, refilled with oil, cleaned the black grease from the seats and carpets, and then apologised for his colleagues.

Gave me a large bucket of oil absorbing granules for my drive too, and promised to tattoo oil change instructions onto the forehead of the apprentice backwards, and instruct him to look in the mirror before doing the next one, sensible chap I thought.

Aside from my tale of woe,it does not bode well for main dealers if they cannot do a simple job like this properly.

*And fixed the knocked out tracking.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Probably put an unsupervised apprentice on the job I worked briefly in a Ford garage donkeys years ago and an apprentice forgot to fill it back up with oil fortunately it was spotted by the foreman so no harm done.

• Like 6

I have a deep mistrust of main stealers and the ability of some parts fitters (as that's what most are) you rarely get a "Technician"

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Not a Toyota main dealer I know, but when I had my old Talbot autosleeper, I took it to a fast fit/accessory shop round the corner for an oil and filter change.

The first thing the young lad did was get in the cab with no seat covers on, and black greasy overalls and boots.

The second thing was he found the one and only deep pothole on the forecourt, knocked the tracking out.

He then went on to miraculously get it on the ramp without scraping the bodywork, the only good bit.🙄

Then under supervision, managed the high tech job of spannering off the sump plug to drain the oil, some of which went into a bucket.

Then the fully skilled mechanic took over,this was a much improved performance,he managed to unscrew the oil filter without mishap, and replace it.

He then went on to replace the sump plug,minus the washer ,and cross thread the plug, which only became apparent after I drove home and found my new oil pouring onto the drive.

Upon returning to the troupe of monkeys masquerading as mechanics to voice my opinion of their skills, and outline the damage, the even more highly skilled manager came out with a wrench to fix things.

He clambered under the engine and tried to tighten the cross threaded,unwashered plug, until I stopped him and explained that he could tighten it from now until the apocalypse, and it would still leak unless done properly.

Que mechanic number 4,who thankfully seemed to know what he was doing, replaced the sump plug properly, refilled with oil, cleaned the black grease from the seats and carpets, and then apologised for his colleagues.

Gave me a large bucket of oil absorbing granules for my drive too, and promised to tattoo oil change instructions onto the forehead of the apprentice backwards, and instruct him to look in the mirror before doing the next one, sensible chap I thought.

Aside from my tale of woe,it does not bode well for main dealers if they cannot do a simple job like this properly.

*And fixed the knocked out tracking.

Apparently Paul those mechanics went on to become senior advisors to the government for the last 12 years on how to run a efficient health service, low cost energy, low food prices, and an efficient and low cost transport system.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

Hello I live in Greece and I never thought that what happens here, with the official-responsible workshops, I would also read in your country. I believed and I firmly believe that companies do not invest in human and technical staff for net more profits. I read about local dealers who don't care about a small detail, more serious problems especially with diesel engines I'm not even talking about. I would totally agree with TonyHSD as if you really love your car it's a good idea for everyone to do a little bit on their own, as changing oils especially on Toutos is a simple matter. I emphasize that there are also top technicians in Tuota workshops.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Bper said:

Apparently Paul those mechanics went on to become senior advisors to the government for the last 12 years on how to run a efficient health service, low cost energy, low food prices, and an efficient and low cost transport system.😂

No Bob, funnily enough the apprentice went on to get a position with the council, sweeping the streets on nightshift, although he had to be told which way the brush went round, and that the holes either side of the shaft were for the candles.

The second mechanic went on to run a kebab shop that poisoned 423 people with the salmonella bug , and got off with a warning not to do it anymore.

The manager got a position as an instructor at the local tech college, but was sacked in disgrace when a student pointed out that crossed threads are not acceptable on a third year NVQ mechanical engineering course, then got elected as a councillor

As for the competent mechanic who put it right,he is now homeless and relying on foodbanks and warm spaces to survive.

Which I suppose is an endorsement of knowing nothing is the best policy if one wishes to get on in life.

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

No Bob, funnily enough the apprentice went on to get a position with the council, sweeping the streets on nightshift, although he had to be told which way the brush went round, and that the holes either side of the shaft were for the candles.

The second mechanic went on to run a kebab shop that poisoned 423 people with the salmonella bug , and got off with a warning not to do it anymore.

The manager got a position as an instructor at the local tech college, but was sacked in disgrace when a student pointed out that crossed threads are not acceptable on a third year NVQ mechanical engineering course, then got elected as a councillor

As for the competent mechanic who put it right,he is now homeless and relying on foodbanks and warm spaces to survive.

Which I suppose is an endorsement of knowing nothing is the best policy if one wishes to get on in life.

Amazing Paul how all of life's experiences are so positive.😂

• Haha 4

While dealing with Jemca is generally a massive pain in the proverbial, I have to say they've never screwed up the basic servicing; Oil has always been the correct type, nice and clean and bang on the dipstick line (I always check!), no leaks, all fluids topped up, air filter done etc.

Everything outside servicing has been very hit and miss, but at least they've been competent at the basics!

I was very pleasantly surprised they actually changed the cabin filter last time without prompting!

• Like 4

Jemca must be one of those southern things.

Here,we have Listers who are masters of all things Toyota and Lexus.

I sometimes wish that I was still near Reading, despite the guy who appeared on Saturdays next to the Sainsbury's on broad street in a drop top roller, selling things.

Nothing like a low profile.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

While dealing with Jemca is generally a massive pain in the proverbial, I have to say they've never screwed up the basic servicing; Oil has always been the correct type, nice and clean and bang on the dipstick line (I always check!), no leaks, all fluids topped up, air filter done etc.

Everything outside servicing has been very hit and miss, but at least they've been competent at the basics!

I was very pleasantly surprised they actually changed the cabin filter last time without prompting!

Always makes me laugh Jemca, drop the j and backwards ACME.many of us might remember the name from cartoons looney tunes etc. Apt for many perhaps?.

• Like 5

After a service I always check oil level ect, then again a week later just incase oil filter is leaking.

• Like 5

Thing about this is that like regular correspondent Tony here, I am a little OCD about the maintenance and hate anyone else messing with it. I was waiting for the day when 5 year warranty was up and I would be free of dealers. Then along comes Relax warranty which might tip the balance the other way. I'd verbally agreed to an extra 3 years fixed price servicing as car is coming up to 5 years but this has made me decide to keep it away from dealers. I have already told them over the phone but it's water off a duck's back, probably doesn't get any further than the teenage girl answering the phone. I'll follow it up in writing and hope it reaches the service "mangler" I don't want to play Russian roulette with other dealers and the risk of needing Relax warranty before 100k miles is pretty small, plus I'll save a whole lot in time and money doing it myself 

• Like 8

Btw I might as well name and shame, Steven Eagell at Wolverhampton, avoid for sales and service 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I would also advise the op to change dealers, I did this with my puma, I used a garage near to me, a small, family run business, the service manager would eagerly thumb through his copy of apathy monthly and the big book of ford excuses, I changed to the garage I initially bought my car from, ( original garage, lookers Harrogate closed) this was a bit further ( Leeds) , they were exemplary, fixing the many, many faults with my car, and always provided a hire car at no cost to me, I used to have a Yaris mk2, bought from vantage Toyota in York, I did have some issues with them, but I hope they’ve seen the error of their ways, cos I’ve ordered a new Yaris cross from them, 

• Like 7

You are lucky you cought it on time.  I also found similar problem on my neighbor's from quick lube shop.  Rarely they undertight it but often overtight the drain bolt. 

The worst one is loose oil filter because the oil leaks in seconds and goodbye engine. I cought it within 3s when my buddy tried do his first oil change and I help him by watching. 

Oil change is a simple thing but extremely important. From the 250k miles Camry 2.5L piston ring below, the oil consumption is caused by oxidise base oil, not lack of additives. 

Using high quality oil/true synthetic is really important. Group IV (Amsoil, Ravenol, Aral, Mobil1, Newest Toyota Oil) or GTL (gas to liquid: Shell, Pennzoil) oil are considered to be the most stable.  The easiest things is to check the pouring temperature <-50C. You can get the data from https://oil-club.de/index.php?board/5-motoröl/

Screenshot_20230124_144318_Chrome.jpg

• Like 6

As I have been doing extra oil change between the dealer changes I enquired whether they sucked the oil out via dipstick or used drain plug, but they said they use drain plug so they were the last to touch it. I was so loose it could have dropped out at high speed at any time so probably goodbye engine. If anyone knows if there's such a thing as a good dealer in the West Midlands let me know! The other one near me has pretty awful reviews as well 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Probably only one of the reasons Arnold Clark lost their Toyota franchise ?

• Like 2

Mechanic friend of mine was assistant manager in a main dealers fast fit side of the business.

I popped in to there parts department to pick up a part so I popped in to see him at same time to have a chat & arrange a beer for getting me discount, we stood in the corner of workshop & he being in charge that day was watching a colleague do an oil change as it was getting near closing time, he said to me I wonder what he will mess up today?

Sure enough his colleague starts the vehicle up & oil all over the floor, he had forgotten to fit the new oil filter.

Apparently this was not the first time this person had made a mess trying to rush a job to finish early. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

If only we had people like Car Care Nut in UK! Does anyone know what all those taxi drivers do with their hybrids? Not main dealer surely?

• Like 6