Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost any remaining trust in main dealer

Saxmaniac

Update on the tyres:  
-she is getting another 2 new cross climates on the rear at different branch of the same chain and then after the one in question will receive a review they deserve so more people being informed about the quality of service they provide., completely opposite to what I had experienced in my local branch. 

• Like 3

Update from today: 

She has another two cross climates 2 on the rear at different branch.
And again not as smooth as it should be.  
The tyre guy asked why she wants another two tyres as the one she has seemed  good to him, and  she said to them that one of the tyres has a puncture and they offer to replace only that one with new of the same summer Michelin, which won’t be even the same because these aren’t  offered by Michelin at all, only been oem supply to that exact model car. 🫢 
Again what a stupidity., the guy can clearly see where is the problem:   - front brand new all season and rear old summer tyres, that alone it’s reason enough for her to want another two new cross climates.
Anyway after some chat to them they agreed to fit two new same cc tyres. 
The question is why it can’t be smooth and the right way first time but customer needs to understand cars and to fight for their rights ? 
Both garages are getting appropriate reviews soon. 🙂👍

image.thumb.jpeg.1f214b5bfb2514f8e59a8027764da741.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.08e75c450b184d329b8d0d754613924a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cadc00d4fa2114eac9ea8558440a069c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ce2c43251de93aee6f497f084937906c.jpeg

• Like 5

Tony, I have spoken to many self described "engineers" in my time, and most of them would not be described as such by others who have seen their work or listened to what they really know.

The real ones seem not to shout about it.

Not restricted to motor engineering , but I have personally have seen an " engineer" who did not know how to drill and plug a hole in brickwork.

Another who came to install a dishwasher for me (after I became incapable of heaving one into my van, and fitting it myself) it was actually quite funny,he disconnected the old one without draining it, and spilled water everywhere, then dragged it over a granite step on a sack barrow, gouging a deep furrow somehow.

Installed the new one out of level minus the non return valve,despite the instructions stating how important it was to install the machine level,no spirit level in sight, apart from mine, 3 ft from his hand.

All the while spouting about how he was an "engineer".

So a common sense approach, and a logic tree, seems to be beyond these "engineers" both in domestic work and motor mechanics.

It is so annoying that although not all that mechanically minded myself, I know that I could do a thorough job on most of the simple things on a car, like oil and filter change, most servicing etc, if I had the physical capability.

On the bright side, I now have acquired a tame orangutan who is showing a lot of promise on the mechanical side of things, and I have bought him a full set of snap on sockets and  wrench in appreciation of his progress so far.

He is a bit of pain in some ways, stopping every 15 mins for a banana break, and swinging around the rafters, but at least he remembers to replace the sump plug washer, and refill the engine with oil before firing it up, unlike some mechanics.

• Like 3

I think the problem is that kids don't have hobbies now, they don't make anything or experiment with practical things. I was building electronic projects at 10 years old and first motorbike was a complete nail which was all 20 quid would buy! So I had to learn, no possibly of chucking keys at a garage. So these kids grow up missing all that background 

• Like 3

When you find 'a man who knows' hang on like grim death.  We had several plumbers who turned up when they could, or had gone to Sweden when they couldn't. 

Then we found one local, a mile away, turns up same day, assesses job, orders the bits, sends a quote, and does the fix on day 3.

Apart from anything, he orders the spares even if we have not confirmed we want him as he only gets them if we do. 

My previous car was serviced by an engineer.  He and his dad originally worked out of a wooden shed in Dad's back garden.  Usually he would collect and return.  One day we had to make an urgent visit as a fix had gone wrong - massive new garage, hydraulic lifts, everything.  He reconnected the tail gate lift.  I am not sure what his day job was, either lecturing at Lincoln University, car repair, or racing at Cadwell.  The Dad? He used to work on Avro Yorks.  Not sure how he will manage when Dad hangs up his overalls. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

I think the problem is that kids don't have hobbies now, they don't make anything or experiment with practical things. I was building electronic projects at 10 years old and first motorbike was a complete nail which was all 20 quid would buy! So I had to learn, no possibly of chucking keys at a garage. So these kids grow up missing all that background 

I reckon you are right, electronic projects, can you remember the Phillips kits? They had a pre drilled circuit board through which you attached a kind of spring loaded terminal.

Then could attach all the resistors, transistors, capacitors and so on to make a variety of things such as a radio or amplifier.

Also Meccano with its green and red steel parts to make an infinite number of things.

And of course building a push bike from scrap yard parts, I understand now that some people even take push bikes into hellfrauds for service.

• Like 4

I believe the problem maybe is laying deeper and more on the moral side than on lack of information or ability to work. Those men involved in the trade are simply thick and even without any benefit to them financially or otherwise they simply does not want to do the things right or the right things. Always opposite. It’s kind of you know that you should not cross the road on red but some just keep on doing it. 
The less you deal with car mechanics, garages, sales persons the happier you will be. And for those who love cars, make sure you never work in the trade unless you can work for yourself and be proud of your job, otherwise you will hate yourself and the cars 👍🫢

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I reckon you are right, electronic projects, can you remember the Phillips kits? They had a pre drilled circuit board through which you attached a kind of spring loaded terminal.

Then could attach all the resistors, transistors, capacitors and so on to make a variety of things such as a radio or amplifier.

Also Meccano with its green and red steel parts to make an infinite number of things.

And of course building a push bike from scrap yard parts, I understand now that some people even take push bikes into hellfrauds for service.

Yes, I had one of those kits. And nowadays hate seeing stuff thrown away for want of repair so always restoring some old reel to reel tape recorder or radio! Even back in the day people bought these things then chucked them up the loft when the next shiny wonder came out, and there's loads of life left in them if you fettle them back regular use 

• Like 4

Different car/m.dealer,found my new spare replaced by tatty old one,manager said prove it. Finding half your petrol gone was the norm.  recently had 12v Battery checked [as posted] now found,99% sure the Battery has been swapped,it was the original with a date car was made. Cant find anything on the swap,looks like we should take a photo of anything to be looked at. Service?its like a visit to the dentist.

• Sad 2

My mate worked at a main dealer many years back and got to deliver customers cars back. We'd go out at night in those cars and explore the performance shall we say! We tried out some pretty tasty cars and I don't know how the owners never noticed the extra miles put on by our antics.. very naughty and we were young. I remember racing him in a Celica and me in my own Xjs, crazy stuff 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links