Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo X Front Sensors

Jen16

The road speed limit display on the dashboard sometimes doesn't display any speed limit at all, and sometimes the speed limit that is displayed is incorrect. I've been told this may be because the sensor is dirty. Is this correct? Also, can anyone please tell me what each sensor is for, and the position of each on the windscreen? Thank you.

Road speed limit info is depending on the road sign recognition system.

It doesn't make use of the map's known maximum speeds and that's the big flaw in this system.

It's true : it works very badly. Even this bad they shouldn't sell this system cause now they are making a fool of themselves.

The system often doesn't recognize road signs and for speed limits, it doesn't manage to see the end of a speed limit zone at all.

F.e. 30 on a normal road, go on a highway : it still will beep and warm for 30.

Navigation : the muting doesn't work well. As well in the car's system as for apps via Android auto. The main unit doesn't let the voices go through fast enough and always the first word gets cut off. Which makes a big problem if you really need to navigate on this. 

Just an other example of bad Toyota design.. I'm a Toyota fan but we do need to still see reality. They sometimes f* up as hard as any french car maker.

By the way : the sensor used for RSA is the camera on the front windscreen, in the middle, high up, behind the mirror. This camera is also used by other systems.

The reason in this case for RSA not working as could be expected is not dirt... Just a very poor design.

Let's hope for major updates.

• Like 2

Adding one more thing (as it comes to mind) : in my Aygo X with 9 inch JBL multimedia system, also the wireless Android is a hit and miss. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't.
That seems to be a general thing for this car as I saw a car journalist complaining about it.

Android auto used with Waze ...  Had it a few times already that the entire screen returns to the main page (Radio / phone / nav / etc) and doesn't want to go back to Navigation.
The car is trying to help you out a bit then, cause i always get the voice from the navigation app I am using, just not the screen.

The navigation system keeps on asking me to connect to my profile by scanning the QR code. Did that a few times already. Also hit and miss : often it just doesn't want to do anything. It's a bit annoying.

An other minus : the Aygo X, as far as I know, is not equipped with a connection to the small screen in front of the user (near the mileage counter etc) to show the map or icons for navigation.

So ...  All things together, I just listen to the radio as often as I can cause that's the thing in the MM that always seems to work.
I postpone throwing my old TomTom away as it seems to be a 'you never know' issue. Is this part of the car going to work or not at all.

As I said : the DAB and FM radio works fine ! The phone connection, to make and receive calls seems ok too.
Sigh ! Something IS just doing it's job at that JBL thingy.

• Like 2

Hi, Ivan, thank you for taking the time to reply. My Aygo X is an Edge model. I use Android Auto with Google Maps from my mobile phone and it seems to work well.

It's interesting what you say about updates - this is my first 'high tech' car, and I do hope for an update . I was driving along a 70 MPH limit road, and my car told me the speed limit was 10 MPH! Oh, dear!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know it's not always nice to get wrong information.
Today i was driving on a 70 km/h road and the RSA said the limit was 110... While a 110 limit doesn't even exist here, anywhere.

I do hope for updates too but thinking back about my Renault and the time i spent in a garage, driving courtesy car (fun !!), getting a complete new radio and then (3 years later) seeing that it had exactly the same problems as the first one : I wouldn't go there again.

Same happened with the engine by the way and so i got rid of it when it went out of warranty, when it was 5 years old.
Cause the engine IS a very expensive part one needs to rely on.

I hope they can solve this. I think it will be done only partly and not completely..
And whatever the fancy stuff doesn't do well, I will concentrate on enjoying the ride and just using the extra systems for what they are worth.

• Like 2

It's no better in the Yaris or the Corolla, and we have the additional issue in the UK that it randomly thinks the signs are in kph and not mph despite us not using kph! :laugh: 

The system just isn't fit for purpose and shouldn't have gone into the car as it is - I'm slightly narc'd that we're paying for these systems when they're so bad, but I guess it's mandated by homologation rules so they had to put it in.

Just be glad we don't have mandatory speed limiters which new cars are forced to have - Imagine if we did and those were tied to the RSA!! (Fun when it thinks the speed limit is 120mph in a 20 zone, less fun when it thinks it is 20mph on a motorway...)

I do wonder how well similar systems work in other marques cars; Some are supported by GPS and map information speed limits, whereas mine is purely reliant on the camera recognition...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thank you for your feedback - an update. Now my Aygo X gives audible (in addition to visual) warnings of changing road speeds when it's in the right mood. Sometimes it audibly tells me of changing speed limits, sometimes it doesn't! Oh, well.....

• Like 1