Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Life (17" Falken)

Bozz

Interested to know what sort of mileage those with 17" Falkens are getting from their tyres.

My Corolla is at 15K miles now and rotated the tyres front to rear at 10K.

Might be able to squeeze 20K out of them before changing all four :unsure:

• Like 3

That’s just about right.
Some other members has reported similar figures 14-20k miles previously.
If you are a regular motorway driver tyres won’t last very long these days, perhaps around 3-4 years and they will start cracking on the side walls because of the salt thrown during winter time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Changed all four of my 17" Falkens today for Michelin CC2's, they had done 16000 miles / 2 years. The dealer said the front were down below 3mm on my last service.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, camellia30 said:

Changed all four of my 17" Falkens today for Michelin CC2's, they had done 16000 miles / 2 years. The dealer said the front were down below 3mm on my last service.

What’s your first impression since the new Michelin all season tyres? 
Thanks 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

What’s your first impression since the new Michelin all season tyres? 
Thanks 

Well maybe it's not the best day to compare (dry, coldish) but I  could tell no difference.

After my test drive, I found Kwikfit had inflated all 4 to 40psi, I changed them to what it says on the door 33 front 30 rear,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had mine serviced last week and at 13500 miles I have 4.5mm on the front and 5.5mm on the rear. I don't rotate. The tyres are still very quiet and a nice ride. Pressures are 35 psi all round. I have been happy with the Falkens so far. May reach 17000 miles at 3mm on the fronts if lucky. Probably more like 16000 miles though.

• Like 4

I rotated my 17in falkens every 6k as per the manual at 6k and 12k. I didn’t rotate at 18k as they are all wearing evenly but dipping down below 3mm now I’m at 19,800 miles. Looking forward to a set of Goodyears on in February. 

Anyone else finding tyres wearing more in the centre (suggesting overinflation)?? Mine are perfectly pressurised as per the door sticker. 

• Like 3

My car wears the tyres very evenly even without rotating them however  I still do at every 10-15k miles. Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 with rotating lasted 3 summer seasons and I changed them at around 65000 miles done on them with around 4.5-5mm tread depth left. Some tiny cracks started to appear and I wanted to try all season tyres. Those were the reasons to change otherwise easily another 20k motorway miles. 

• Like 2

How do you guys rotate the tyres ? This is the correct direction for front wheel drive ?

870C523A-BFB7-4209-9A74-2DE9A60A22A5.jpeg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DC_Ms said:

How do you guys rotate the tyres ? This is the correct direction for front wheel drive ?

Yes. That’s what handbook shows 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DC_Ms said:

It will depend of what type of tyres you have fitted. If you have Michelin cross climate ( directional tyres ) or similar you can’t cross them, only front to rear. If your tyres are A symmetrical with writing “outside “ on the tyre wall then you can cross swap diagonally. 👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

One Continental Plant Manager, a few years ago, told me to never invert the rolling direction of a tyre as the several internal bands/belts get deformed by braking and all other forces involved; if you invert the direction they could break easily, deteriorating the tyre performance. Selling as I bought it. I'm doing just same side front/rear swap since then, just in case.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, JoaoM said:

One Continental Plant Manager, a few years ago, told me to never invert the rolling direction of a tyre as the several internal bands/belts get deformed by braking and all other forces involved; if you invert the direction they could break easily, deteriorating the tyre performance. Selling as I bought it. I'm doing just same side front/rear swap since then, just in case.

What are actually the benefits to rotate them diagonally and not just front —> back ?

4 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

What are actually the benefits to rotate them diagonally and not just front —> back ?

That’s easy, to allow even outer edge wear.
Usually in 🇬🇧 left tyres gets bigger punishment because of the road conditions ( worse near side close to kerb) secondly the roundabouts and road camber. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Just under 10k and on 4mm at front and 5mm at back

You can rotate front to rear and get perhaps another 10k miles and replace all 4 with something else. Falken tyres fitted to Corolla as oem aren’t the best tyres and not the most suitable for this car imo. 👍

• Like 4

At my last service at 3 year and 16k the fronts were at 3.5mm so there switched front to back.

I’ve never done this in over 50 years of driving because you finish up having to buy four tyre at once. But, now, relatively speaking the cost of tyres is low. In the early 90s I was paying over £100 each for Michelins for a Citroen CX and the fronts were only lasting about 8,000!

• Like 2

down the years i`v both rotated and just changed the worn fronts, i think probably it could come down to how deep your pockets are.

I've still got both rears from new still on and the cars done 53k. Fronts a different story. Changed several times. I do mainly town driving though.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 8:46 AM, TonyHSD said:

You can rotate front to rear and get perhaps another 10k miles and replace all 4 with something else. Falken tyres fitted to Corolla as oem aren’t the best tyres and not the most suitable for this car imo. 👍

I've changed the Falken by the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 and what a difference in grip, whatever the type of road and weather. The newer Asymmetric 6 are even better for our Corollas as they are designed to handle better the high 0rpm torque and low rolling resistance needed by electrified vehicles.

One should install new tyres on the rear and move the older to the front, as we have the steering on front to help.

• Like 3

Falkens are not the best brand when it comes to tyres. I am looking to swap mine after a year or so. Currently done about 9,000 miles.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2023 at 8:58 AM, Dylanfan said:

At my last service at 3 year and 16k the fronts were at 3.5mm so there switched front to back.

I’ve never done this in over 50 years of driving because you finish up having to buy four tyre at once. But, now, relatively speaking the cost of tyres is low. In the early 90s I was paying over £100 each for Michelins for a Citroen CX and the fronts were only lasting about 8,000!

You do this if you want to change to 4 new ones from another brand. Or once in my case, on a lease car due to be handed back, so I didn't have to pay 2 new/used front ones. Continental lasted 30k and still above legal limit when handed back. 

I know a number of people on this forum don’t like the Falken tyres but I’m happy with them. I don’t throw the car around (I’ve got a V6 Xantia for that😜) so grip is okay and have always liked tyres with kerbing rings.

I don’t know what mileage they’ll do but it looks like 25-30k.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links