Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Life (17" Falken)

Bozz

I actually need 4 new tyres soon. I've already have 2 front Michelins. Was recommended from the forum. Would you guys still recommend that same tyre? Or good year? I also have rim protectors on.

27 minutes ago, TazUddin said:

I actually need 4 new tyres soon. I've already have 2 front Michelins. Was recommended from the forum. Would you guys still recommend that same tyre? Or good year? I also have rim protectors on.

I’m about to order 4 Michelins to replace my falkens. I Think the Efficient Grip Performance 2’s have a rim protector - expect @TonyHSD will be along soon to confirm 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gray86 said:

I’m about to order 4 Michelins to replace my falkens. I Think the Efficient Grip Performance 2’s have a rim protector - expect @TonyHSD will be along soon to confirm 👍🏻

I have the 2 front Michelins already. And yes they have rim protectors but not as good as the standard falkens. But that's not what I was saying. I have actual rim protectors on as I'm a driving instructor. Students like kissing the kerb sometimes lol. I really don't like the look of the Michelins. Love how the falcons look on the actualy car. Michelins bulge out on the tire wall side. But as mentioned by others on here before the Michelins are far superior than the Falkens. 

12 hours ago, TazUddin said:

Hi, if you are happy with Michelin just get another two same tyres same spec make and model. It is wrong and not the best practice to mix and match tyres on any vehicle, even on electric scooter 🛴👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Hi,

the smaller size 205/55 16 Goodyear efficient grip performance doesn’t have rim protector but larger ones 225/45 17 and above does have one. 👍

• Like 1

The rim protector will add very little protection when you  touch the kerb, because we are talking about rubber against sharp concrete, no chance really.
Also the rim protector can easily get damaged and have cut a peace off and will be an mot failure.
For Corolla hybrid the best tyres are touring type tyres like Goodyear efficient grip performance or Michelin premacy 4., Continental contipremium contact etc. Other tyres types are classed as high performance or ultra high performance like the oem Falkens. These tyres similar to sport brake pads need specific conditions to work properly. They aren’t as comfortable, lack grip in cold , produce more road noise and has shorter lifespan.
That’s why many doesn’t like Falkens on Corolla, they aren’t suitable for Toyota hybrids at all. Sadly they does not offer touring tyres in that particular sizes. The lower the profile, the smaller is the choice of touring tyres.  
Eco tyres are the one to avoid too. They offer lowest rolling resistance 1-3mpg more at the price of poor grip in wet and cold weather. 👍🛞

image.thumb.jpeg.4430b91aa3334d5c97e5527ba1e1de35.jpeg

• Like 4

Sold my Corolla at just less than 20,000.  I had been watching the wear and actively considering new tyre before I agreed a trade in at 2 years and did so at 2.5 years.

Too soon to judge the wear on the Goodyears on the Yaris Cross.

Are Toyota still using Falken on Corolla and perhaps working through older stock?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Sold my Corolla at just less than 20,000.  I had been watching the wear and actively considering new tyre before I agreed a trade in at 2 years and did so at 2.5 years.

Too soon to judge the wear on the Goodyears on the Yaris Cross.

Are Toyota still using Falken on Corolla and perhaps working through older stock?

It seems like they do use different tyres.
Dunlop in Australia, Fakekens in Europe, also Bridgestone on the smaller sizes. You can skip to 1:34 for the tyre . 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dylanfan said:

I know a number of people on this forum don’t like the Falken tyres but I’m happy with them. I don’t throw the car around (I’ve got a V6 Xantia for that😜) so grip is okay and have always liked tyres with kerbing rings.

I don’t know what mileage they’ll do but it looks like 25-30k.

Yeah they've been fine for me as well. Whilst I'm no maniac I do take corners quickly (I consider braking for a bend to be the sign of a bad driver) and the Falkens have handled my style just fine.

My fronts are currently down to 3mm so it's time to change and since the rears are 6mm it's going to be another pair of Falkens. Hopefully my dealer will offer me a good deal like last time.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Yeah they've been fine for me as well. Whilst I'm no maniac I do take corners quickly (I consider braking for a bend to be the sign of a bad driver) and the Falkens have handled my style just fine.

My fronts are currently down to 3mm so it's time to change and since the rears are 6mm it's going to be another pair of Falkens. Hopefully my dealer will offer me a good deal like last time.

And they will put the new tyres on the rear axle swapping old ones on the front. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, TonyHSD said:

It seems like they do use different tyres.
Dunlop in Australia,

Sumitomo own the Dunlop brand in Japan and the Falken brand globally - so the Dunlop tyres on Japanese produced Corollas may be very similar to Falken tyres sold on European market cars.

Rather like the similarity of Dunlop tyres produced in Europe (where Goodyear own the Dunlop brand) to Goodyear tyres.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

And they will put the new tyres on the rear axle swapping old ones on the front. 

Yup. That's fine though at 6mm.

• Like 3

Tire wear depends mainly on how many times you do turning and how fast you drive. Not only the mileage.  If you drive up to the Alps, it may last only 1/2 than if you drive it on  flat Ukraine.  For summer tires, they always have the treadwear grade and it is based on each tire makers. https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/truth-about-tire-treadwear-how-cr-tests-tread-life-a6218520265/

So, if you get Goodyear with 380 treadwear it last much longer than goodyear 200 treadwear.  However, Falken 200 treadwear may not be the same as Goodyear 200 treadwear.  Generally, Goodyear, Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone treadwear are very close in grading. 

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 10:38 AM, TonyHSD said:

The rim protector will add very little protection when you  touch the kerb, because we are talking about rubber against sharp concrete, no chance really.
Also the rim protector can easily get damaged and have cut a peace off and will be an mot failure.
For Corolla hybrid the best tyres are touring type tyres like Goodyear efficient grip performance or Michelin premacy 4., Continental contipremium contact etc. Other tyres types are classed as high performance or ultra high performance like the oem Falkens. These tyres similar to sport brake pads need specific conditions to work properly. They aren’t as comfortable, lack grip in cold , produce more road noise and has shorter lifespan.
That’s why many doesn’t like Falkens on Corolla, they aren’t suitable for Toyota hybrids at all. Sadly they does not offer touring tyres in that particular sizes. The lower the profile, the smaller is the choice of touring tyres.  
Eco tyres are the one to avoid too. They offer lowest rolling resistance 1-3mpg more at the price of poor grip in wet and cold weather. 👍🛞

image.thumb.jpeg.4430b91aa3334d5c97e5527ba1e1de35.jpeg

Just two notes:

Continental Premium Contact 6 are great tyres but not exactly touring, they're placed on UHP category and usually tested against them (Michelin Pilot Sport, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, Falken Azenis, etc). The Falken Ziex are supposed to be in the touring class.

This UHP tyres are getting good mileage this days, although they have softer and stickier rubber with more silica. For us guys in the south, where roads never freeze and winters are mild enough, they provide the best wet and dry grip. Higher noise is an inconvenience but on the newer models (PS5, EF1-6) the manufacturers worked on that too.

For me the Falken's didn't cut because they lacked wet grip and couldn't cope with the torque of the 2.0 in many situations (ESP on). 

• Like 3

Long ago I used to buy Michelin defender that has treadwear warranty 80k miles. It was really good and enough for mild weather with occasional snow. 

Don't buy any Low rolling resistance tires that most of them simple cut the treadwear to only 6mm depth. The grip is also really bad in wet weather. 

I found goodyear EfficientGrip2 is the best for price/performance for hybrid cars. It is relatively comfortable, good grip,  and last long Treadwear 380. 

All seasons vector4 seasons 3 has 500 treadwear and legally can be used in winter with thick snow too. But still not as responsive as any summer tire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

Don't buy any Low rolling resistance tires that most of them simple cut the treadwear to only 6mm depth. The grip is also really bad in wet weather. 

I found goodyear EfficientGrip2 is the best for price/performance for hybrid cars. It is relatively comfortable, good grip,  and last long Treadwear 380. 

We have those EfficientGrip Performance on Mrs MK2 Yaris 1.0 and we like it a lot. I'd be more than happy to fit them on any small/compact car. They have soft sidewalls though, therefore not recommended for more spirited drivers and more powerful cars.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, AndrueC said:

Yup. That's fine though at 6mm.

You will need to inspect them for any cracks possible. I noticed in the recent years car tyres can’t last very long in UK for some reason.
I believe it might be because of the unnecessary huge amount of salt on the roads during winter or because of the modern tyre compounds that include even organic materials, or combination of both. The reason why I decided not to bother with two sets of tyres, winter and summer. Just one set all season and more frequent change on all 4 tyres to ensure they are all recent and fresh. 

• Like 4

I think we never need winter tires in western europe unless we live up north.  All seasons tires have better grip in wet and dry than winter tires and have much long life tread wear.  For summer tires, EfficientGrip Performance  relatively have soft sidewall but handle well. If you want stiffer sidewall, you can buy the extra load XL version. It will be less comfortable but handle even better. However, the heavier sidewall also impact the MPG.   Compared to Dunlop OEM tire, the EfficientGrip 2 is  a little bit noisier but much more comfortable over bump and rough road. Especially, the small bumps on state roads in Black forest area and hard solid concrete instead of Aspalt in most of the Autobahn.  

I noticed, American roads last much longer because they always make a little angle about 3-5 degrees to make sure water drain very quickly to the side of the road.  I did not find the phenomena here in Europe, that's why often we have some potholes on the middle sections of the road.  

I have 2012 Continental summer tires contisport5.  It is old but there is no crack developed on the sidewall nor tread.  I know it is almost 11 years old but MOT/TÜV cannot fail it just because it is old.  Tire condition depends on sun exposures, heat, etc.  If we parked in the garage all the time, the tires last much longer.  Fortunately, we do not have any law to prohibit 6y old tires on passanger cars. Only for trailer and heavy duty public buses. My Winter tires is 2014 or almost 9 years old and no crack either.  I think summer tires generally crack faster because they are mostly rubber instead of silica compounds but also exposed to heat and sun much harder. 

• Like 1

I checked my tyres over the weekend, and two are now at 1.6mm (in the centre at least). Rest are just under 3mm. 

I’ve now just ordered 4 Good Year Efficient Grip Performance 2 from Camskill. A local guy I know does very careful fitting & balancing at ‘mates rates’. Hopefully get more than 20,000 miles out of the GYs 

• Like 1

So far my I still have Falken Tyres on my front but that came from my rear tyres as I have  rotated it when I changed my front Falken tyre which only lasted around 12k miles and placed the new Good year performance efficient grip 2 on the rear. But soon those Falken needs changing.  So far done 27k miles

• Like 1

On the subject of tyres ....

Expecting at some point later this year to get CrossClimates etc onto my car, currently on the oe 17" Falkens.

Tyres of course have a size and also a speed rating (in our case "W" for 225-45x17 91W).  What is the significance or effect of a different load rating ie the "91" - as opposed to some tyres (in this size) that are "94"? 

4 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

Expecting at some point later this year to get CrossClimates etc onto my car, currently on the oe 17" Falkens.

Tyres of course have a size and also a speed rating (in our case "W" for 225-45x17 91W).  What is the significance or effect of a different load rating ie the "91" - as opposed to some tyres (in this size) that are "94"? 

This is a load index that indicates how much load the tyre can carry at maximum rotating speed and this differs between standard load and extra load. 91 for example will be standard load where 94 is indicated for extra load. Extra load tyre unless fitted by the car manufacturers oem  are best avoided, they reduce efficiency and comfort and add extra unsprung weight. You can upgrade to xl tyres on any car if you drive exclusively on rough roads, mountains, deserts for example where tyres rigidity is more important than comfort and efficiency. 🛞👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

Cross climate 2 is probably the best all seasons tires and the most expensive too. The sidewall is relatively stiff, stiffer than Goodyear efficientgrip 2 but the compund and lateral pattern in all seasons make it much less responsive than summer tires. 

If you drive less than 10k mile a year, it will last 5 years with regular rotations and no need for additional tires set. Just all seasons for the whole year long, rotate them once a year.  I don't replace tires before 1.6-1.8 mm limit for safety and green reason. The suggestions of tires company to replace at 3mm tread is ridiculous and stupid. We disposed the usable 30% of the lifespan and any increase of wet braking distance is so gradual and we adapt with it over years, not out of sudden like in their Ad.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to know what the average cross-tyre wear is.

My last hybrid i had correct PSI and they wear on outer edges on all four tyres.  So on new set of tyres i upped the PSI to 3 or 4 PSI more - and had even wear throught.

On the Corolla I have noticed on correct PSI the outer edges wearing more again - so after my 10k service the technicians lowered the PSI to correct - and I put more back in to ensure even tyre wear.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links