Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross accessories and improvements

anchorman

Fitted the mudflaps.  You need the rear wheels off to drill and the fronts can be done by turning the steering.  These are very cheep at about £15 a pair (the Yaris ones are £45 a pair!).  

D37EFF23-F955-48CE-968C-60DB72975AE3.jpeg

AAB75B4A-17E7-46AA-9DB9-714C6FAA40BD.jpeg

5057C070-B5CF-4D4F-921D-3B463935EDBD.jpeg

• Like 8

Ran the wire upstairs to tidy up the iPhone connection.  Not wireless on mine because I’ve got the 360 cameras. To do it, warm the interior and pull each part and keep in mind they are sharp.  

30A13750-9FE0-4473-9111-15FC72F4211C.jpeg

9551C12F-E488-4BE0-B6EF-12546173FDE1.jpeg

D0068C67-3F3A-472C-B192-F4D970CD72DE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

Ran the wire upstairs to tidy up the iPhone connection.  Not wireless on mine because I’ve got the 360 cameras. To do it, warm the interior and pull each part and keep in mind they are sharp.  

30A13750-9FE0-4473-9111-15FC72F4211C.jpeg

9551C12F-E488-4BE0-B6EF-12546173FDE1.jpeg

D0068C67-3F3A-472C-B192-F4D970CD72DE.jpeg

Don, do you have psychic powers?  Went for a nice drive this afternoon via some scenic country roads.  On arriving home I noticed a fair bit of crud to the rear panels and promised myself to get some mud flaps to keep these areas clean.  The front panels were fine but I think it’s best to fit front and rear flaps.  Just gave a cursory glance to the wheel arches and I thought they would have pre drilled holes and it would only be a matter of screwing the pads onto the wheel arches.  I was really surprised when you mentioned taking the rear wheels off and having to drill holes.  As I don’t have a wheel brace or jack (drawback of the puncture repair kit and no spare wheel) this is a bit of a pain.  Might be able to get a loan these from some of my Toyota neighbours.  I just thought it was eerie that after contemplating a mud flap purchase, I log onto the site and there you are with photos on how to do it! 

• Like 4

If you didn’t live in the North Pole I’d do it for you.  I’ll find you the instructions.  For the front you need a good Stanley knife to trim a bit of plastic.  It says 26mm but 15 is more than enough.  There is no drilling for the front.  

Yaris-Cross_Front_mudflaps_PW389_0D003_AIM_005_115_0.pdf Yaris-Cross_Rear_Mudflaps_PW389_0D004_AIM_005_093_0.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

Fitted the mudflaps.  You need the rear wheels off to drill and the fronts can be done by turning the steering.  These are very cheep at about £15 a pair (the Yaris ones are £45 a pair!).  

D37EFF23-F955-48CE-968C-60DB72975AE3.jpeg

AAB75B4A-17E7-46AA-9DB9-714C6FAA40BD.jpeg

5057C070-B5CF-4D4F-921D-3B463935EDBD.jpeg

Nice to see your pictures, everything looks clean and tidy 👍

Brand new cars are always pleasure to work on, no rust, no dirt 👌

Was the grease on the hub there from the factory, or the tyre filter applied to it? 
Thanks 

• Like 1

Of course we’ve covered fitting led interior lights.  Very easy but I ought to show it.  The blurry one was an accident but I rather like the effect.  

342D6D9E-F6BB-4E53-A72D-B0D3DC2610E5.jpeg

7D49F055-0703-4EC9-8552-10CF10DB678C.jpeg

89FD3383-CFAA-46F5-8C7F-7AA8CBE38955.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Nice to see your pictures, everything looks clean and tidy 👍

Brand new cars are always pleasure to work on, no rust, no dirt 👌

Was the grease on the hub there from the factory, or the tyre filter applied to it? 
Thanks 

No I did it when the tyres were fitted. Always use a smear of Ceratec on the hub, it stops them corroding on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Excellent Don.

No Cigar. Lighter fitted then as I use this in my current Aygo X for my Dongle & use the USB point for iPhone charging.?

Tel

• Like 2

I would like to fit a communications radio (amateur radio) set to my Yaris Cross. On my previous car I did a nice job of this, including wiring the audio into the AUX IN jack of the car. Sadly I don’t believe the Yaris Cross has this feature - anyone know if it is possible to add via some kind of aftermarket adapter - the comms radio doesn’t have USB output, and while it has bluetooth HFP it won’t pair properly with the Yaris Cross bluetooth as it’s not a mobile phone/audio player.

Any tips would be great from anyone who has managed to add an aux in, or indeed mounted a comms radio into the Cross!

Mark

East Anglia 

• Like 1

As for psychic, I washed the car Friday including underbody jet wash.  Went out of the  village to town.  Saturday thick mud on the arches, sills and door bottoms. 

Thanks National Trust for your contractors leaving mud on the road. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tel 2 said:

Excellent Don.

No Cigar. Lighter fitted then as I use this in my current Aygo X for my Dongle & use the USB point for iPhone charging.?

Tel

There is, it’s under that switch panel but the phone needs connecting to the USB for Apple CarPlay.  It charges there at the same time.  The accessory socket will get used for powering the dashcams.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Motorola said:

I would like to fit a communications radio (amateur radio) set to my Yaris Cross. On my previous car I did a nice job of this, including wiring the audio into the AUX IN jack of the car. Sadly I don’t believe the Yaris Cross has this feature - anyone know if it is possible to add via some kind of aftermarket adapter - the comms radio doesn’t have USB output, and while it has Bluetooth HFP it won’t pair properly with the Yaris Cross Bluetooth as it’s not a mobile phone/audio player.

Any tips would be great from anyone who has managed to add an aux in, or indeed mounted a comms radio into the Cross!

Mark

East Anglia 

There’s a power socket under the dash Mark.  Works in the accessory position.  

• Like 2

It's amazing how much difference those piddly little 'mudflaps' make; To look at them you wouldn't think they'd make any difference, but it's amazing how much cleaner the sides are with them on!

re. the radio, I wonder if you can pair it to your phone then connect that to the car via the USB socket and pick the output from that?

Bit surprising that it can't be paired to the car tho' - We were testing some BT-compatible walkie talkies for a road convoy trip last summer (Which we ended up not going on sadly :sad: ) and IIRC the ones tested paired just fine with the headunit in my Mk4.

I have used Wireless Donglels for the last 5 years to connect my Phone as previously I would regularly leave my Phone in the car.

I then use the Cig Lighter point for Phone charging when I travel long distances as Apple Car Play does consume Battery.

When I recently drove a Lexus NX 450i, with its new Nav I still found ACP better overall.

Tel

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It's amazing how much difference those piddly little 'mudflaps' make; To look at them you wouldn't think they'd make any difference, but it's amazing how much cleaner the sides are with them on!

re. the radio, I wonder if you can pair it to your phone then connect that to the car via the USB socket and pick the output from that?

Bit surprising that it can't be paired to the car tho' - We were testing some BT-compatible walkie talkies for a road convoy trip last summer (Which we ended up not going on sadly :sad: ) and IIRC the ones tested paired just fine with the headunit in my Mk4.

It is paired to the car.  There’s no wireless CarPlay on my system, you need the newer 9” screen for that.  I don’t mind, it charges the phone while it’s connected.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tel 2 said:

I have used Wireless Donglels for the last 5 years to connect my Phone as previously I would regularly leave my Phone in the car.

I then use the Cig Lighter point for Phone charging when I travel long distances as Apple Car Play does consume battery.

When I recently drove a Lexus NX 450i, with its new Nav I still found ACP better overall.

Tel

As you know, I had a new NX and fo all the fuss it was hopeless in my opinion.  Trying to touch a screen while driving is a bad idea anyway.  The best idea is Mazda’s command knob.   The big mistake Lexus made was letting the Americans design it, they went straight after Tesla.  

• Like 2

Sorry, that bit about the radio was meant for the guy trying to connect his ham/cb radio to the car's bluetooth!

He said it wouldn't pair with the car, so I was wondering if he could pair it to his phone and then connect that to the USB!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Motorola said:

I would like to fit a communications radio (amateur radio) set to my Yaris Cross. On my previous car I did a nice job of this, including wiring the audio into the AUX IN jack of the car. Sadly I don’t believe the Yaris Cross has this feature - anyone know if it is possible to add via some kind of aftermarket adapter - the comms radio doesn’t have USB output, and while it has Bluetooth HFP it won’t pair properly with the Yaris Cross Bluetooth as it’s not a mobile phone/audio player.

Mark

East Anglia 

Took a photo for you……

E489D27C-4949-4369-B2FD-11C7732A8E29.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, anchorman said:

As you know, I had a new NX and fo all the fuss it was hopeless in my opinion.  Trying to touch a screen while driving is a bad idea anyway.  The best idea is Mazda’s command knob.   The big mistake Lexus made was letting the Americans design it, they went straight after Tesla.  

Yeah, that and the similar iDrive system is the one thing I like about BMWs - The jog wheel and push to select is much easier to use by feel to select things accurately with only glances at the infotainment screen.

I just can't use the touchscreen to do anything like pick a specific song unless e.g. I'm on the motorway using the auto-steer, and even then I can feel it's demanding an unsafe amount of my focus. At least I can fumble my way to the audio section and then use the left jog dial to scroll through the folders to get the right song, although with my stubby arms I have to lean forwards a bit to reach it :laugh: 

On 1/28/2023 at 6:34 PM, anchorman said:

Ran the wire upstairs to tidy up the iPhone connection

Could you connect it up behind the panel and then just fit a blank?

Just now, IT Troll said:

Could you connect it up behind the panel and then just fit a blank?

You can but that USB socket is slightly larger than standard so there’s no benefit.  I agree with Keith that the flippin (that’s the very strongest word the wokey snowflake filter will allow) auto headlight switch is in a stoopid position so now that USB socket is fixed in the front panel, I’ll swap the “Hill Descent Once In 4500 Years”switch and at least get it a bit nearer.  Will coat hanger wire do?

• Haha 1

Got the front Dashcam in and the wire through to the rear footwell for the next stage.  4C8D8C72-F08F-49B0-BC15-D9ADF31C80B1.thumb.jpeg.4de0c425cd397c9438725d56fce6e48e.jpegWhen running these cables it’s important to stay above the airbag (pointed out) 7DED2734-B7F5-4E7D-A7B8-7B6A46D2CB21.thumb.jpeg.4df4ea8a7da42254c28e2a18253700a5.jpegand not cross it.  D62A13EB-E1BC-4A81-9B32-C257884FB375.thumb.jpeg.2047fb27a68b094421534b1ae7dc378b.jpegFor the back I can feel that the drivers side umbilical only has the washer pipe in it. I’ve bought a really good quality screened cable but you must stay away from the DAB aerial wire to avoid interference.  Might be weekend before that gets done.  I noticed that the Yaris Cross logo is illuminated by the mood lights.  Posh!!!BB7D4C4A-9558-4AEB-A62E-6D88698EF7BB.thumb.jpeg.14ec21a459fcfe9d5229c853552e4acc.jpeg

• Like 3

Are you running it to a rear Dashcam?

Be interested to see how it is running it through the lower door trims, if that's the route you're taking. I used my boss' cable pole to poke it through the headlining but it was a PITA because it kept snagging on stuff. Was wishing I'd bought a cheap endoscope to stick to it so I could see what the heck I kept getting stuck on :laugh: 

On 1/28/2023 at 9:24 PM, anchorman said:

Of course we’ve covered fitting led interior lights.  Very easy but I ought to show it.

Did you remember to do the vanity lights too?

4 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

Did you remember to do the vanity lights too?

It’s a UK spec Cross not a Maybach.  Mine is deprived of such opulence.  If you cross the channel to euroland there’s no end to embellishments.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2