Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross accessories and improvements

anchorman

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

I stumbled across this mod on AliExpress which is quite interesting. It replaces the rear bottom reflectors with LED lights which can operate as DRL, brake, or indicators. It seems a shame we just got reflectors at the rear. Not sure if there are any legal implications of fitting extra lights.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003974381437.html

UK/EU law requires reflectors and looking at the ones linked they don't work as such so would be illegal and MOT fail. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jimota said:

Don, in all honesty and kidding aside, it really is a revelation to see the extent that you go to in improving things and more importantly sharing your ideas and encouraging others to look at things in a different way.  Toyota should be employing people like you in their research and development department as individuals with practical and pragmatic skills should be working alongside the technical scientific buffs to keep them in check.  Look forward to further updates.  I also think kind regards to Mrs Anchorman who I believe is responsible for all the step by step photographs.  More power to you and your good lady.  Cheers! 👍

Thanks Jim.   These are my idea of “doable” things that in my opinion improve some of the unfortunate weaknesses of the spec.  I’m not interested in big bore exhausts or tuning etc, these just make it easier to live with the car.  They are things that don’t cost much either.  These E marked horns were £20 for the high and low pair and that answers the question about why Toyota have left out the rear interior light and fitted a single vibrating disc horn, it’s down to price.  I checked that the circuit has a relay otherwise it could impose an excessive load on the horn push contacts and clock spring (wires that rotate with the steering wheel). I don’t want any mods that risk the components of the car or the warranty.  It doesn’t have a proper carpet, it has what looks like recycled chip cartons which I find disappointing but I like the complete package with the hybrid powertrain and AWD.  We also have to remember that getting materials and products is not easy at the moment so I’m cutting some slack in that respect.  The omission of LED interior light bulbs in the existing fittings is just mean and there’s no excuse for that.  Oh and regarding Anchorwoman, she’s been helping with various tasks since I was doing the tutorials for RAV4s in 2006 - there’s a number of them in the mods section.  I’ve done these abridged versions just to keep them here in the Cross section so they’re together.  She always helps with a bumper lift not because they are heavy but to avoid damaging the paint, the bumper cover is very unwieldy.  I took the photos on this occasion but as you know, she has filmed things for me in the past.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IT Troll said:

I stumbled across this mod on AliExpress which is quite interesting. It replaces the rear bottom reflectors with LED lights which can operate as DRL, brake, or indicators. It seems a shame we just got reflectors at the rear. Not sure if there are any legal implications of fitting extra lights.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003974381437.html

I’m fussy that any mods look factory and apart from illegally replacing reflectors, those look like Chinese tat to me.  I’m always interested in seeing what is out there so don’t let me sound ungrateful for showing it because I’d rather have the choice.  Ali Express did do OBD drive away door locking modules which I’ve used successfully in the past but I’ve not been able to identify one for these later models.  Let me know if you come across one while browsing 👍

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@anchorman I'm in shock at how big is the polycarbonate front glass of the headlights...It's twice the size that we can see from the outside. LOL. That will be expensive to replace.

Maybe the question for you. I have noticed the rock and mud flying from the wheels during the ride is very noisy and unisolated from the cabin, there are only plastic wheel arches, maybe, to dampen this, do you think it will be worth putting on that plastic wheel arches some Sound Absorption Sheet on the upper side of the plastic? Putting down that plastic wheel arch should be an easy job.

• Like 3

Don,

Thanks for the Pano Post & ,as James says, your technical skills are excellent. ( I only live 45minutes drive from you so a HUD & Pano are now a real possibilities for me )

Mine should be here this week.

Assuming the Parts I desire are readily available & I now have an Alternative Detailer who can fit & apply all the items to make my Cross mine .

Tel

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

UK/EU law requires reflectors and looking at the ones linked they don't work as such so would be illegal and MOT fail. 

I have a set of these ...ready to fit...when my car arrives...the leds are fitted behind the reflective layer....so they are indeed reflectors.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimota said:

Don, in all honesty and kidding aside, it really is a revelation to see the extent that you go to in improving things and more importantly sharing your ideas and encouraging others to look at things in a different way.  Toyota should be employing people like you in their research and development department as individuals with practical and pragmatic skills should be working alongside the technical scientific buffs to keep them in check.  Look forward to further updates.  I also think kind regards to Mrs Anchorman who I believe is responsible for all the step by step photographs.  More power to you and your good lady.  Cheers! 👍

A tad sycophantic....he shouldn't be encouraged....stripping his car down....for an extra beep.

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

I’m fussy that any mods look factory and apart from illegally replacing reflectors, those look like Chinese tat to me.  I’m always interested in seeing what is out there so don’t let me sound ungrateful for showing it because I’d rather have the choice.  Ali Express did do OBD drive away door locking modules which I’ve used successfully in the past but I’ve not been able to identify one for these later models.  Let me know if you come across one while browsing 👍

Hey Mr. Beep Beep....these extra leds and reflectors are really good tat and will install them asap.

5 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

Hey Mr. Beep Beep....these extra leds and reflectors are really good tat and will install them asap.

You can put a Christmas tree on your roof.  It’s up to you. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, RobertR said:

@anchorman I'm in shock at how big is the polycarbonate front glass of the headlights...It's twice the size that we can see from the outside. LOL. That will be expensive to replace.

Maybe the question for you. I have noticed the rock and mud flying from the wheels during the ride is very noisy and unisolated from the cabin, there are only plastic wheel arches, maybe, to dampen this, do you think it will be worth putting on that plastic wheel arches some Sound Absorption Sheet on the upper side of the plastic? Putting down that plastic wheel arch should be an easy job.

Anything will help Robert.  There’s a huge expanse of bare floor under the deck on the AWD which I’m contemplating getting the styrene insert just to dampen some noise along with maybe some dynamat.   I know exactly what you mean.  

• Like 2

Whilst the horn mod is an interesting project, I've only used my horn once since collecting the car, and that was just to check it worked. It sounded a bit weedy but I'm not a habitual honker so I am sure it is up to the job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wish I could say the same!

Sometimes I honestly wonder if something about the Mk4 makes it invisible to SUVs (And it's almost always SUVs!) - Since I've had it I think I've had to horn people more than I have in the combined time I've owned previous Yarisusesiseses due to them trying to change lane in to me, pull out in front of me etc.!

Maybe I should ask anchs to design a big light-up sign I can put on my roof that just says "HEY I'M RIGHT HERE AND ALSO COMPOSED OF SOLID MATTER!" and fires party poppers and confetti when I press the horn :laugh: 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Wish I could say the same!

Sometimes I honestly wonder if something about the Mk4 makes it invisible to SUVs (And it's almost always SUVs!) - Since I've had it I think I've had to horn people more than I have in the combined time I've owned previous Yarisusesiseses due to them trying to change lane in to me, pull out in front of me etc.!

Maybe I should ask anchs to design a big light-up sign I can put on my roof that just says "HEY I'M RIGHT HERE AND ALSO COMPOSED OF SOLID MATTER!" and fires party poppers and confetti when I press the horn :laugh: 

Same driving into Manchester.  Some strange person suggested a horn was only ever used to assert one’s right of way 🙄.  In fact, it’s self preservation driving into Manchester - they come at you from all angles.

• Like 4

I've heard France is generally quite a pleasant place to drive... *except* for in Paris where it's like hell but with cars! :laugh: I've been told it's a rite of passage for a proper driver to survive the Arc de Triomphe. Having looked at it, I have decided to remain an improper driver :fear: :laugh: 

Although someone on these very forums did document their journey through France, and went through it and survived to tell the tale a few months back IIRC!

• Like 3

Yes, the Parisians don’t seem do bother coming into contact with other vehicles judging by the amount of bump, scrapes and scratches on their own cars.  They are also masters of the nudge parking technique.

• Haha 4

Makes you wonder if the Parisians finance their cars through PCP.  If they do, they must get hammered with penalty charges at the end of their contract for additional damage that is beyond acceptable wear and tear.

• Like 1

Driven in Paris, Milan & Los Angles & provided you have a " he who dares win " mantra  it is simply exciting.

Holland is the most challenging Country to drive in as everyone seems to want to race you regardless of speed limits & many proper urban roundabouts require 3 point tun to negotiate.

On the ? of Refinement ,a Lexus UXE is the most refined car I have ever driven & it has Run flat tyres. Its Wheel Arches on top & underneath are Sound-proofed.The Rear Seat rubber Protection on a Cross will help & the Application of Waxoyl is easy to apply & cheap.

Tel

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

Fill the Tyres with Nitrogen too.

Tel

Isn't normal..... run of the mill air 78% Nitrogen !

• Like 2

21 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Whilst the horn mod is an interesting project, I've only used my horn once since collecting the car, and that was just to check it worked. It sounded a bit weedy but I'm not a habitual honker so I am sure it is up to the job.

The Japanese get factory PIAA horn upgrades for many models, I have always fitted louder or extra horns on my cars. FIAMM are one of the best but they take twice the current of the disc horns. 
I was driving home one year very cold night well past midnight on the M4 when I noticed the steering go very light. I slowed right down, but shortly after a car flew past. I tooted several times, to no avail. In the distance he started to move back into the near side, at which point he started spinning, first to the central barrier then back to the hard shoulder, then back again. A fairground ride had nothing on his ride! Fortunately he hit nether barrier but was well shaken up. 
I used to have two sets of air horns (one each side) and two electric  on one of my bikes that I commuted into London with, they woke up most drivers on their phones!.

Horn.JPG

• Like 2