Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross accessories and improvements

anchorman

Got the dashcams fitted only to find there are two types of cable for the rear camera and I’ve got the wrong one!  However, I have used the same opportunity to address one of my bugbears.  I identified a suitable interior light for the back seat.  I’ve now got full led interior lighting and I managed to connect to the left side bulb holder without the need to splice the loom - fiddly but I did it eventually.  The light is actually a vanity light from VW Group (Picture 1).  The reason I chose it is because it has exactly the right colour surround (picture 3) and it has the proper clip for holding in a roof lining (picture 2).  I found the attached on eBay (new second hand) for £15.95 and you need a suitable plug which I’ve had for ages but you can get them off eBay too.  It comes on either with the door switches or the left hand reading light.  It fades in and fades out like the front and it isn’t that bright but I knew it wouldn’t be but it’s more than bright enough to fasten the seatbelts etc (Picture 4 - not fully dark outside).

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's really nice work :thumbsup: 

Almost looks OE!!! :laugh: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anchorman said:

Got the dashcams fitted only to find there are two types of cable for the rear camera and I’ve got the wrong one!  However, I have used the same opportunity to address one of my bugbears.  I identified a suitable interior light for the back seat.  I’ve now got full led interior lighting and I managed to connect to the left side bulb holder without the need to splice the loom - fiddly but I did it eventually.  The light is actually a vanity light from VW Group (Picture 1).  The reason I chose it is because it has exactly the right colour surround (picture 3) and it has the proper clip for holding in a roof lining (picture 2).  I found the attached on eBay (new second hand) for £15.95 and you need a suitable plug which I’ve had for ages but you can get them off eBay too.  It comes on either with the door switches or the left hand reading light.  It fades in and fades out like the front and it isn’t that bright but I knew it wouldn’t be but it’s more than bright enough to fasten the seatbelts etc (Picture 4 - not fully dark outside).

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

Nice job done. I must done mine too. I don't get it why they don't fit light for the back seats, people putting stuff on back seats all the times and at night, no chance to see anything.

Don't you have more picture? how thick is the celling carpet, or how much space is between roof and that celling. Thanks.

• Like 1

Don,

You have excelled again.Well Done.

On fitting the Nextbase Rear Unit you backed off due to concerns re the roof wiring & Dab interference.I fully understand if you have choice.

I am interested if my Dealer has ever fitted a Rear ! On my last 3 Lexus cars Nextbase F&R were fitted & zero issues.

The Side Moulding is the first offering & my view is maximum protection is needed these days noting it took me a long time to decide.

G3 Ceramic. is a £300 offering for Exterior & Interior. Applied properly, it is better than nothing & costs half that charged by Lexus.

The Boss was Toyota & I was Lexus & we are changing to Cross only so all Toyota costs seem reasonable @ this juncture.

Tel

1 hour ago, RobertR said:

Nice job done. I must done mine too. I don't get it why they don't fit light for the back seats, people putting stuff on back seats all the times and at night, no chance to see anything.

Don't you have more picture? how thick is the celling carpet, or how much space is between roof and that celling. Thanks.

There’s clearance for that light unit Robert.   The Cross is the only car I’ve had with that large access panel to the sharkfin antenna and it easily comes out.  Keep in mind mine has a pan roof and the magazine for the roller shutter is hiding in there so I had to measure carefully and got it about half way.  It’s well clear of any obstructions.  The opening is 57X20mm and I made a little cardboard template to find the centre of the roof and mark it with a pencil.  It’s a case of measure 40 times, cut once!   It cuts easy with a sharp Stanley knife.  The light has a wedge under that plug so when you position it in the hole, the spring clip pulls it tight to the headcloth.  It’s a really nice snug fit.  The headcloth is soft downwards with a thin fibreglass backing, it cuts nice and clean.  I brought twin core wire out sideways with the Dashcam wire.  They go down and across the bottom of the door cappings which is why I had the rear seat out to stay away from the curtain airbag.  Any other questions, fire away.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tel 2 said:

Don,

You have excelled again.Well Done.

On fitting the NextBase Rear Unit you backed off due to concerns re the roof wiring & Dab interference.I fully understand if you have choice.

I am interested if my Dealer has ever fitted a Rear ! On my last 3 Lexus cars NextBase F&R were fitted & zero issues.

The Side Moulding is the first offering & my view is maximum protection is needed these days noting it took me a long time to decide.

G3 Ceramic. is a £300 offering for Exterior & Interior. Applied properly, it is better than nothing & costs half that charged by Lexus.

The Boss was Toyota & I was Lexus & we are changing to Cross only so all Toyota costs seem reasonable @ this juncture.

Tel

In fact I had no choice and had to go through the right hand side Tel because there simply wasn’t enough room in the left.  I’m going to have to do it all again because despite it looking identical, there are two cables and one is bespoke to my VIOFO A129 Duo Plus camera so the !Removed! thing doesn’t work.  Luckily the cables are heavily screened and I’ve ordered a pair of TDK ferrite cores so I’m hoping I’ve got it covered.  I’ll report back.  

B1C2B430-08A1-4639-83A1-7A27086C2B76.jpeg

The wokey snowflake filter has removed the terribly offensive word relating to what happens to your finger if you cut it 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Really enjoy reading these instructions and photographs on how to personalise and improve upon standard fittings.  I used to be fairly competent in DIY projects but always steered well clear of electrical work as I didn’t have the knowledge or confidence to overcome my fear of getting it wrong and causing mayhem.  Look forward to your updates Don and any further projects but I’ll still remain an observer rather than be a participant.  Following the wise words of Dirty Harry “A man’s got to know his limitations”  I’ll just stick to hanging pictures on a wall and adjusting door handles.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jimota said:

Really enjoy reading these instructions and photographs on how to personalise and improve upon standard fittings.  I used to be fairly competent in DIY projects but always steered well clear of electrical work as I didn’t have the knowledge or confidence to overcome my fear of getting it wrong and causing mayhem.  Look forward to your updates Don and any further projects but I’ll still remain an observer rather than be a participant.  Following the wise words of Dirty Harry “A man’s got to know his limitations”  I’ll just stick to hanging pictures on a wall and adjusting door handles.

😂👍

• Like 1

The Nextbase Dashcam is wired along the N/S floor to avoid Air Bags & there is ample cable to do this.

THE dash cam itself is a little lower when centred due to the High Level Brake Light.

Tel

IIRC there should be fitting templates in the back of the official Toyota fitting instructions to print / cut out to help line up both dash cams. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:21 PM, anchorman said:

It fades in and fades out like the front and it isn’t that bright but I knew it wouldn’t be but it’s more than bright enough to fasten the seatbelts etc

Really nice job! With my trim I have the black roof lining so it is a real dark pit in the back. It is mostly used for coats though.

6 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Really nice job! With my trim I have the black roof lining so it is a real dark pit in the back. It is mostly used for coats though.

Yes, I nearly had a Dynamic with black trim.  VW Group do have a black version of that light if you’re feeling adventurous.   I took a photo in complete darkness today….

C98F6322-9E66-4F5F-85EC-5F32E6DED7C6.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

The NextBase Dashcam is wired along the N/S floor to avoid Air Bags & there is ample cable to do this.

THE dash cam itself is a little lower when centred due to the High Level Brake Light.

Tel

Mine is wired along the floor.  I’ll assess the effect of the brake light when the new lead comes 👍

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 10:31 AM, Jimota said:

Twin horns coming soon!

Vanity light for black headliner.  These are often for sale where the owner has added led versions so they must be available or you could add a led festoon bulb to these.  Note they have the same spring clip that snugs the light up tight to the roof liner. 

CF96C777-3099-4D59-A363-7DB0889E4906.jpeg

F205578D-890F-426A-BE05-C715BD6AC3B5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Pan Roof in the Cross is a fixed affair I assume with an electric blind.

When the Blind is drawn light floods the rear ??

Tel

1 hour ago, Tel 2 said:

The Pan Roof in the Cross is a fixed affair I assume with an electric blind.

When the Blind is drawn light floods the rear ??

Tel

It’s a pair of manual blinds that meet in the middle Tel.  Yes, in daylight, that little light of mine is hopeless against daylight.   I’ll add photos later 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, anchorman said:

Twin horns coming soon!

Would that be Colonel Bogey or bull horns that you’re fitting?  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

To answer Jim, today I sorted the horn out.  The standard is a single vibrating disc and I’ve fitted high and low wind tones.  It also gave chance for a bit of exploration.   The first job was to warm the fenders.  Plastic is brittle in the cold.  

D2B2568F-3A92-445C-9787-323680F622B9.thumb.jpeg.dcfc1c35a2fc62207c2f91b8798dfb3f.jpeg

585D66D4-5951-45E0-BF12-710378068E1A.thumb.jpeg.303b55339ba5dc878e843f72081930b4.jpeg

The bumper is held on with clips and bolts.  There are two plugs on top, two on the left and one on the right.  

C976D8F3-6465-4119-ADFF-F05519DD5D50.thumb.jpeg.8c323ed090e7dd21a0da45d99f6f7b5f.jpeg

EFEA1386-82D9-47AF-9D85-BE178632110F.thumb.jpeg.e8aea6c013e2f1a094ce2264fab0f3db.jpeg

once the bumper is off the horn can be seen.  I made a little sub loom and mounted the horns with the terminals at the back and the trumpets as near to down as possible.  

DF75369A-BD62-445A-9509-DE407AB0D603.thumb.jpeg.44fe5930e07ec936e9bdbbc16275f9b1.jpeg

1436C25E-1CC1-406C-90FD-72B6659A3682.thumb.jpeg.53fbecbaa302c61fc5b46d4310d77ebc.jpeg

E3B42CB9-6F5C-4D14-B945-9094D9DC9527.thumb.jpeg.13d1ce2feb89157528c2ac6245af2ccd.jpeg

This is the grip for the bumper and it isn’t adjustable which makes me wonder how we get a report of poor panel fit.

41A2F1AB-36A2-4EAD-BB90-4CBDFA030C7B.thumb.jpeg.ac5c4533f94eca826a1e112d0919785e.jpeg

This little vibrating disc is the sounder for the alarm.  

A41DC1E5-4CAA-45CE-ACEA-C72186182875.thumb.jpeg.618d55370032a0bbfa1d6454febf16d1.jpeg

This is the washer bottle.  Quite small so if you use much screenwash like I do it’ll need checking weekly.  

276C1F6F-5406-45C2-9411-BB826B257941.thumb.jpeg.32eb04091b0e60334268a3c063925229.jpeg

A good coat of wax behind those fenders…..

D6271558-33C6-4281-8DF1-8B45B0128B6E.thumb.jpeg.8550e51c98e1738d759acc054f51da20.jpeg

Can we load a video?  This is before….

After….

7C905610-63CB-4B00-BD52-8953E62DA432.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Don, in all honesty and kidding aside, it really is a revelation to see the extent that you go to in improving things and more importantly sharing your ideas and encouraging others to look at things in a different way.  Toyota should be employing people like you in their research and development department as individuals with practical and pragmatic skills should be working alongside the technical scientific buffs to keep them in check.  Look forward to further updates.  I also think kind regards to Mrs Anchorman who I believe is responsible for all the step by step photographs.  More power to you and your good lady.  Cheers! 👍

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I stumbled across this mod on AliExpress which is quite interesting. It replaces the rear bottom reflectors with LED lights which can operate as DRL, brake, or indicators. It seems a shame we just got reflectors at the rear. Not sure if there are any legal implications of fitting extra lights.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003974381437.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links