Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross accessories and improvements

anchorman

Not so long ago, an owner took 18” wheels off his car and put 16” wheels on.  He seemed very concerned about what others might think.  My sentiment to that is that you do what you want to your own car - if that’s your thing, don’t worry about it and crack on.  I’ve shown some things I’ve done to mine.  I don’t expect anyone to do the same unless they want to.  I’ve experienced a number of snipes regarding changing the horn and the mirror.  Nobody is at gunpoint, you’re not obliged to do it if you don’t want.  

I’ve got mixed feelings about this Cross.  It’s good mechanically but it’s disappointing in others.  It’s definitely built down to a price and that shouts at you if you look around.  There was a great gaping expanse of bare metal in the boot so I’ve bought the plastic insert.  I also applied sound proofing to the resonating panels.  It makes an amazing difference but whether it makes the car quieter?   The jury is out.  I also did one back door but if come down with yet another dose of flu so job is stopped.  The speaker is the cheapest I’ve ever seen since my Shira Touring days.  It is absolutely weightless. Anybody know any reasonably priced upgrades?

DC8E784D-DCEC-4578-9E94-E5C77D6F9348.jpeg

F958135C-91EC-40C0-AB7C-FB01EB09A22C.jpeg

6E2EE04C-1C65-4BFB-9905-8F329E65C24C.jpeg

A98B51B1-7476-41F5-9EF6-3D07FA606D67.jpeg

AD303474-4D20-4318-B0FC-6534C40026ED.jpeg

• Like 6

Well done again.

I am going to Sound -Proof my Boot Area.

Assume you have the Rear Seat Protectors Fitted so "we" are only left with the Parcel shelf.

A carbon fibre replica is needed

Tel

• Like 1

That sounds like a 'best' idea properly better than lining the metal. 

We do not use ours as we have a dog and her kennel is higher. 

• Like 1

That sounds like a 'best' idea properly better than lining the metal. 

We do not use ours as we have a dog and her kennel is higher. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, anchorman said:

I also did one back door but if come down with yet another dose of flu so job is stopped.  The speaker is the cheapest I’ve ever seen since my Shira Touring days.  It is absolutely weightless. Anybody know any reasonably priced upgrades?

A98B51B1-7476-41F5-9EF6-3D07FA606D67.jpeg

What is that white cable wrapped with insulating tape?  The speaker one?

16 hours ago, RickyC said:

What is that white cable wrapped with insulating tape?  The speaker one?

Good question.  I was beginning to come down with another dose of flu and wasn’t in the mood to investigate but they do look like speaker wires.  Maybe it’s partially set up for the JBL option?  If I think on I’ll have a closer look when I’ve stopped feeling sorry for myself and do the other doors.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

Good question.  I was beginning to come down with another dose of flu and wasn’t in the mood to investigate but they do look like speaker wires.  Maybe it’s partially set up for the JBL option?  If I think on I’ll have a closer look when I’ve stopped feeling sorry for myself and do the other doors.  

Uhm.  Interesting.  So they are there from factory. I thought they that were temporarily wrapped by you during your sound proofing activity.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, RickyC said:

Uhm.  Interesting.  So they are there from factory. I thought they that were temporarily wrapped by you during your sound proofing activity.

Today I did the rest of the doors and those wires are there too.  The fronts are more complicated to pull apart but there’s a huge expanse of bare metal inside.  It’s changed the weight of the doors and th y go with a satisfying thud when you shut them. The biggest surprise is the kick in bass.  It sounds different again.  The wires are hanging down in this shot   

0A7EC484-3095-4E0A-97AC-4C8CCF6ED7E6.jpeg

• Like 3

So there are some spare connectors in each door?   Did you have an idea of their function ?

Is there no moisture barrier on the back doors? Back doors are incredibly light and stiff to shut down...almost everyone close the door 2-3 times because they don't want to smack them because it's a new car but they don't close the door properly.

14 minutes ago, RobertR said:

Is there no moisture barrier on the back doors? Back doors are incredibly light and stiff to shut down...almost everyone close the door 2-3 times because they don't want to smack them because it's a new car but they don't close the door properly.

You mean the clear plastic cover to seal the door that seats between door and the interior card ? I can see the drain plug it’s not removed too. Perhaps it should be open there to allow any water out. 

10 hours ago, RickyC said:

So there are some spare connectors in each door?   Did you have an idea of their function ?

The connections are there but they’re taped up.  No real idea what they’re there for.  Could be JBL because they’re a lot heavier than the bog standard Speakers.   

10 hours ago, RickyC said:

So there are some spare connectors in each door?   Did you have an idea of their function.

1 hour ago, RobertR said:

Yes, there’s a vapour barrier on both front and rear doors.  That photo above is the front and that has a hard plastic closure but the one on the back is a polythene sheet.  I think passengers struggle with the back because there’s no weight to it and the seal resists it.  The sound deadening is remarkably heavy and it now shuts with more of a thud than it did before.  

• Like 4

I will do it in summer, boot, doors(back doors with priority). Don't have heated garage to do this kind of job. It's easy do work with those asphalt material at higher temperatures. If helped with the sound, I will be happy, but don't have any expectations, very basic audio system (and I hear the extra JBL system is also nothing special).

Hope I will don't mess any clips or plastic holder, door paneling should be easy to do(I do it on olds cars but not on new one) and hopelly light for back seets( I will put some boot light there, black one). Maybe better to buy some spare plastic clips. Any ideas with one? There are general one for toyota cars? Thanks.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RobertR said:

I will do it in summer, boot, doors(back doors with priority). Don't have heated garage to do this kind of job. It's easy do work with those asphalt material at higher temperatures. If helped with the sound, I will be happy, but don't have any expectations, very basic audio system (and I hear the extra JBL system is also nothing special).

Hope I will don't mess any clips or plastic holder, door paneling should be easy to do(I do it on olds cars but not on new one) and hopelly light for back seets( I will put some boot light there, black one). Maybe better to buy some spare plastic clips. Any ideas with one? There are general one for toyota cars? Thanks.

As you say, this job is much easier in warm weather.  I did mine yesterday at work and it was single figures cold so I had to be very careful.  I didn’t break any clips but if one seemed tight I helped it with a trim tool.   I’ve got a big tub of plastic trim studs but never used them.  I used Dodo mat but there are others.  

• Like 3

Anyone tempted to fit a S.S. Tail pipe on their Cross ?

Tel

Anyone Waxoyl'd their Cross as underbody access appears excellent i.e.no need to remove wheels.?

Tel

3 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

Anyone Waxoyl'd their Cross as underbody access appears excellent i.e.no need to remove wheels.?

Tel

I normally do but not at this time of year.  That’s a May onwards job. 

5 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

Anyone tempted to fit a S.S. Tail pipe on their Cross ?

Tel

Somebody with a GR Yaris was supposed to be photographing their tailpipe if you’ll pardon the expression.   

• Haha 2

Agree weather is better in May .

Just thinking the car underbody is the cleanest ever on Day 1.

Tel

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 2:59 PM, Tel 2 said:

Tel

From what I saw of the body warranty, applying any kind of protection invalidates it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

From what I saw of the body warranty, applying any kind of protection invalidates it.

That’s all my previous cars invalidated then.  Dealer’s never mentioned it.  

• Sad 1

I personally do not like any underbody protection applications for that warranty reasons plus I believe these only adds to the problem. 
With the recent roads conditions I am starting to think that Yaris cross or  rav4 are the only suitable Toyota hybrids for the UK.
The other day I scraped the car while reversing into a quiet residential street, a huge pothole in the middle of the T junction at night impossible to see.
Two nights ago run over broken kerb peace in the middle of the country lane, it was a huge bam underneath, luckily no damage., the car slide over but that think hit the cat plate., Now I am  thinking next car Yaris cross and fitting metal plates under the engine and if awd under the rear diff .
Full scale off road , here is what we need to normally drive in London and perhaps for the rest of the country. 🫢

69515B0F-257F-4829-8160-967782220CD8.jpeg

• Haha 1

Yeah I nearly wet myself every time I hear a loud *CRACK!* of a stone hitting somewhere on the car... really don't want to go through that whole windscreen palava again!! :fear: 

The roads are just shocking at the moment - In some places it's like driving on gravel because there is so much spoil on the roads from all the potholes!! :eek: 

The fast rack in the Mk4 is really earning its keep to help me dodge them all!!! :laugh: 

• Like 3