Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2017 Toyota Aygo water inside top brake light sloshing around

welshlad46

As per headline, I have just bought the wife a Toyota Aygo and it is a great little car with only 7k on the clock, but when shutting the boot I have noticed I could hear water. So I took the grommet out this morning and there was a fair amount of water inside (I have drained as much as I can out). It was from a Toyota garage and has full Toyota service history so still has the 10 warranty on it, so I guess just contact the local dealership? I know it was a common fault on the older shape as she had a 2009 Aygo and I had to silicone around the brake light and it solved the problem but id imagine this would be covered under the warranty?

Thanks in advance : - ) 

• Like 2

Regardless of the Relax extended warranty, if you've just bought the car take It back to the dealer as under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, it will be judged to have had the fault when you bought it. See:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

• Like 6

Just to add, although the Mk2 is vast improvement as regards leaks compared to the Mk1, the type of leak you describe 'water sloshing in tailgate' has been mentioned a few times by Mk2 owners on here so is not uncommon, so as frosty says take it back to the dealer for a fix/repair.

• Like 4

What's already been said if you have just brought the car then take it straight back as they must of given at least a year's warrenty on there used car's.  However as a point of interest for future issues you say in your headline "water in the top brake light " this is an item not covered in the relax warranty. "Water ingress by natural phenomenon" that would be rain then and lenses lights and bulbs.🤬

Ah only issue is i has to drive a hour and a half away to where i got the car.. so hopefully the local dealership will be able to help me? As i dont really fancy driving all the way back up there to then have to leave the car there for it to be sorted 😞 hopefully my local dealership can sort it hopefully.. so does it point towards that rear brake light most probably you think?

• Like 1

took to the dealer and they said it requires a new high brake light...£82 ... but they ringing me tomorrow to check if it is under the warranty.. I was a bit blunt and said "I think you will find it will be..."

Hopefully get it booked in and sorted tomorrow 

• Like 4

Water inside the top tailgate pressing is very common. The high level brake light clips into the aperture without a proper seal. Water gets in around the light unit - especially if the car is pressure washed etc.  You can try popping the light out and then sealing the light unit into the tailgate with a bead of clear silicone. The light is difficult to get out though - especially with big hands.  My solution on these is to pop out the rectangular black plastic access hatch and carefully cut two small channels in the foam seal. These should be cut such that when the tailgate is closed the cuts are at the bottom edge of the access hatch.  This allows water to drain out. If you are keen you can drill a 2mm hole just above the plastic hatch so that when the tailgate is opened any remaining water drains out. Give a blast of Dinitrol cavity wax inside the pressing to protect from corrosion.

I have done this on several cars and its worked.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links