Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota "Smart" Connect problems.

Chadders47

I've not owned a Toyota for over 30 years, so when I test drove and picked up my new Yaris Cross Excel two weeks ago I was highly delighted and impressed. Except of one thing; MyT app seems to not play nicely with the multimedia display. Basically I seem to have two problems driving me barmy! Having Apple Car Play setup and successfully working it appears to know have disconnected itself and despite trying everything I can only seem to connect via a usb cable (which I don't really want to do). 

Secondly, my driver profile seems to have 'disappeared'. I've had no luck getting back, and when I try to create a profile I keep getting referred back to MyT app. I should add that MyT app is up running and I have my account/profile set in it. I was under the impression that the multimedia/connected services recognised that automatically and loaded.

I'm pretty clued up tech wise (he says modestly, but honestly I find that between the handbook, the app and what I'm seeing in the vehicle there seems to be a yawning gap of joined-up information.

I don't want to keep going back to the dealer, so any useful info on how to get this stuff working would be most grateful received.

I can’t remember the details because it’s a while since I did one but it wouldn’t work successfully u til we connected both bluetooth and Wi-Fi.  

• Like 1

MyT has been having problems for a few days
it might be related to that

My pairing with the car (android auto) and registering the myt app was flawless. MyT app can be a little unreliable sometimes, perhaps not super responsive Myt<->cloud<->car communication. But overall I have no problems with it.

Hard to help you with it, but try to reset everything or start again. Android car in my case work almost instantly, I did nothing to the phone or car, they talk to each other immediately. And about the MyT app...I just follow the installation instructions. Register an account and insert my car VIN number and that was it....it took an hour to complete but everything work.

Try to do this in the evening when demand on servers is lower.

1 hour ago, RobertR said:

My pairing with the car (android auto) and registering the myt app was flawless. MyT app can be a little unreliable sometimes, perhaps not super responsive Myt<->cloud<->car communication. But overall I have no problems with it.

Hard to help you with it, but try to reset everything or start again. Android car in my case work almost instantly, I did nothing to the phone or car, they talk to each other immediately. And about the MyT app...I just follow the installation instructions. Register an account and insert my car VIN number and that was it....it took an hour to complete but everything work.

Try to do this in the evening when demand on servers is lower.

The thing is my iPhone is paired with the car insofar that it plays media and I can use the phone, but whereas Apple Car Play was available now it isn't and I can only get it using a USB cable. As for MyT and profiles, I have got it, and I do have an account set up. Unfortunately "the car" doesn't seem to recognise it.

Mine has done the same. If it loses your profile you have to go through the whole registration process again when you scan the onscreen QR code with your phone it will take you to the MyT app which will say something like your car is already registered and then it should log you in. 

As for wireless car play when it works it’s very good but connecting with the car is quite flaky sometimes it connects but will be frozen, sometimes it refuses to connect at all, very hit and miss. When it doesn’t work restarting the system by pressing and holding the home button until it restarts usually works, but once i had to do a full system factory reset to make it work again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A recent Apple IOS update may be contributing to the problem.

There are reports of other systems (not car related) having connection issues with bluetooth.  The Smart Connect system uses bluetooth to initiate certain phone related functions including wireless Carplay. 

You could try a hard reboot of the iPhone to force a reset of the bluetooth stack. Usually you hold down the power button for 10 seconds to get the shutdown menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I can put it down to is the way it uses bluetooth to initialize the Wi-Fi connection, Apple's implementation of BT has never been great it has been working then screwed the next update

Ralph is correct, if you have been signed out of Smart Connect you need to rescan the QR code to relink your account and sign in. MyT is working fine for me just now. Reliability does seem to be highly dependent on local network reception.

I generally find wireless CarPlay to be pretty reliable, I am running the latest iOS. Have you by any chance connected your car to a Wi-Fi hotspot? You cannot connect the car to Wi-Fi and use CarPlay at the same time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links