Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First service

Bernard Foy

Was on the phone to my dealership for to book a first service, and asked the lady what weight of oil that they are going to use on my 2022 Yaris Hybrid, her reply was OW-20 is used in all their hybrids. When I pointed out that OW-8 is recommended by Toyota she passed me on to the dealership owner. He confirmed what she said and I disagreed with him, and he then said he would look into it and get back to me, so I await his response.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Afaik the MK4 Yaris is 0W8. 

Why can't they use the recommended oil for each car? Cost saving I know. Even more reason not to like servicing at dealers when one can buy the recommended oil and get a mechanic or DIY. No choice to keep the warranty unless paying your own oil on top of a service. 

IMG_20230130_154541.thumb.jpg.81f8e5fe6595a413f1b3d8c52da841ab.jpg

Got this to put a litre in the boot for my future MK4. 

• Like 6

For 1.5 L M15A-FXE (hybrid with cvt) engine is recommended 0W-8 AFE [GLV-1] oil. Doesn't matter if it's yaris or yaris cross.

• Like 7

The typical dealer practice to go with cheaper option. Using 0w20 in 0w8 application it’s not a big deal and won’t cause any issues., perhaps 2-3mpg less. However 10 years ago when Toyota dealers were using 5w30 semi synthetic oil in Prius and Auris hybrid that were required 0w20 likely to be a reason for early oil consumption on some examples. At the end of the day dealer service it’s not cheap and they should use the same oil as the car came out of the factory. You better ask them what oil filter will use too, Toyota or cheap Filtron?  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

0W-8 is the recommended oil for the Yaris Cross.

Your Yaris should have 0W-16.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/find-the-right-oil-for-your-toyota/

OW-8 is also recommended by Toyota for the Yaris Hybrid, and is the weight of oil which is put into the car by Toyota when manufacturing.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Afaik the MK4 Yaris is 0W8. 

Why can't they use the recommended oil for each car? Cost saving I understand. Even more reason not to like servicing at dealers when one can buy the recommended oil and get a mechanic or DIY. No choice to keep the warranty unless paying your own oil on top of a service. 

New Toyota cars in Ireland come with 3yrs free service, every 10000 miles which ever comes first.

• Like 7

0w20 is probably what they buy in bulk. Toyota garages are not the only ones who do this. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

The typical dealer practice to go with cheaper option. Using 0w20 in 0w8 application it’s not a big deal and won’t cause any issues., perhaps 2-3mpg less. However 10 years ago when Toyota dealers were using 5w30 semi synthetic oil in Prius and Auris hybrid that were required 0w20 likely to be a reason for early oil consumption on some examples. At the end of the day dealer service it’s not cheap and they should use the same oil as the car came out of the factory. You better ask them what oil filter will use too, Toyota or cheap Filtron?  

Every 20 gallons, lose say 50 miles, that will add up for someone doing big miles like yourself. Good thing is you can DIY or I know to buy and get an indy to do it. For most folks they wouldn't know. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

New Toyota cars in Ireland come with 3yrs free service, every 10000 miles which ever comes first.

Free service or warranty. Because usually, you paid for the service anyway, it's not covered in the initial car price. Only repairs under warranty are covered. 

My dealer has on their webpage a complete service plan with prices for every service stop. (15k or one year).

I know that even authorized services are **** but that sound like a total nonsense and stupidity to use 0W20 instead of 0W8. Maybe I try to push my dealer to let me watch what the mechanics doing.

• Like 6

They could just put a sticker 0W8 on the oil drum, you would be none the wiser. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well Mojo, that’s very true that they could do that, and of course due to insurance issues that they will never allow a customer or member of the public into the service or workshop areas. At the end of the day we rely on trusting their word. He is a very reputable dealership and  has an excellent record of good customer relationships, especially with me over the years.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, RobertR said:

Free service or warranty. Because usually, you paid for the service anyway, it's not covered in the initial car price. Only repairs under warranty are covered. 

My dealer has on their webpage a complete service plan with prices for every service stop. (15k or one year).

I know that even authorized services are **** but that sound like a total nonsense and stupidity to use 0W20 instead of 0W8. Maybe I try to push my dealer to let me watch what the mechanics doing.

Both Robert 3 years warranty + 3 years free service every year or 10,000km whichever comes first and includes a free hybrid Battery health check.

• Like 5

Would it be feasible to buy your own oil and ask them to deduct it from the service price , other than that all I can see happening is the wrong oil being used . 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

Would it be feasible to buy your own oil and ask them to deduct it from the service price , other than that all I can see happening is the wrong oil being used . 

Eddie I’m not paying for the service!!. See my latest post on this matter.

• Like 4

Hi All, I’ve had a phone call from my dealership, and he’s agreed to use OW-8 oil. But he’s asked me to wait until Wednesday 8th February to allow him to source the required recommended oil, and will provide a courtesy car as he has always done. Thanks for all your welcome comments.

• Like 11

Oh well done! It's been less of an issue over here (At least it *says* 0w8 on my service docket... :fear: ), but I've read quite a few posts about the Irish Toyota dealers trying to shy away from using 0w8 for some reason (Presumably cost). Clearly your devilish charm and charismatic tongue has convinced them otherwise! :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Is it possible to verify what oil they have put in ?

• Like 1

You can take a sample and sent it to a lab, but I think that's a bit more than most people would want to do!!

Not sure if there's some sort of kit where you can put a drop of oil on a test strip and and it tells you if it's 0w20, 0w8, API-CF, Covid, pregnant etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

45 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Oh well done! It's been less of an issue over here (At least it *says* 0w8 on my service docket... :fear: ), but I've read quite a few posts about the Irish Toyota dealers trying to shy away from using 0w8 for some reason (Presumably cost). Clearly your devilish charm and charismatic tongue has convinced them otherwise! :laugh: 

My devilish charm & charismatic tongue clearly worked in the case of my young bride of almost fifty six years but it may just be wearing a bit thin now 🤣. My dealership owner is personally well known to me and I knew his dad  RIP in the dealership before him. So he returned the call I had made to him within two hours. I suspect that he may have consulted Toyota Ireland re the issue. Months ago on this forum I had noticed a post re the same issue, I contacted Toyota Ireland re their policy on the issue, they emailed me the reply which I published on this forum. They basically said that if I wanted the OW8 oil to inform the dealership before making the appointment for the service they would cooperate and use the recommended oil.

• Like 5

Same for the Cross.  The note on 0W/16 applies to both….

D08FBF4D-8D03-4D65-AA6C-06957F2203D3.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Straight from the Yaris manual….

25A4ECD2-224F-4D15-946F-FB13C5BCF81F.png

Yes Don, that’s exactly what in my users guide book, and I quoted that passage to the dealership as well, so if Cyker is reading this post, it might not be just down to my undoubted charm and charismatic tongue 🤣😂.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I suspect you will be lucky to find a dealership that does use 0W8 (or even 0w16 for that matter!) I had the same ‘discussion’ with my dealership over use of 0w20 on my Corolla. That said, two services on 0w20 and no noticeable fuel consumption changes since the original factory oil. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gray86 said:

I suspect you will be lucky to find a dealership that does use 0W8 (or even 0w16 for that matter!) I had the same ‘discussion’ with my dealership over use of 0w20 on my Corolla. That said, two services on 0w20 and no noticeable fuel consumption changes since the original factory oil. 

I think that the recommended oil for the Corolla is OW-16 which might not be a huge difference from OW- 20

• Like 3