Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First service

Bernard Foy

3 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi All, I’ve had a phone call from my dealership, and he’s agreed to use OW-8 oil. But he’s asked me to wait until Wednesday 8th February to allow him to source the required recommended oil, and will provide a courtesy car as he has always done. Thanks for all your welcome comments.

Nice to see dealerships getting credit when it’s due.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I think that the recommended oil for the Corolla is OW-16 which might not be a huge difference from OW- 20

That is true, although the two engines are very similar. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has had a first service on their Yaris, and have noticed any difference 

• Like 3

Graeme, I don't think many would notice any difference. Now try 20w/50 and that might make a difference. 

I seem to remember SAAB recommended a lower W grade for very cold climates but then they were selling few cars in a large market. 

• Like 6

One of my dad's old cars used that grade. Well I assume so, as there's 3 5L jugs of the stuff in the depths of his shed that are probably 2 or 3 decades out of date :laugh: 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

One of my dad's old cars used that grade. Well I assume so, as there's 3 5L jugs of the stuff in the depths of his shed that are probably 2 or 3 decades out of date :laugh: 

Send them over here to me Cyker, I’ll use them in my 1948 American McCormick Farmall Cub 🤣😂

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

I've read quite a few posts about the Irish Toyota dealers trying to shy away from using 0w8 for some reason.

Apparently it was taking too long to service the cars over in ireland with that grade.

The mechanics were asked confirm they were using the right oil before filling the engine but whenever Paddy asked what oil they were using, Mick would reply "Oh wait"

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, RonYarisX said:

Apparently it was taking too long to service the cars over in ireland with that grade.

The mechanics were asked confirm they were using the right oil before filling the engine but whenever Paddy asked what oil they were using, Mick would reply "Oh wait"

For that…. I will get your coat.   😀

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Drop it off at your local Toyota dealer. Apparently they'll put it to good use.

Really not looking forward to arguing about oil when service time comes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

OW-8 is also recommended for the Yaris Cross, it’s the same engine. You may not have to argue, just ask them before you confirm booking the service. If they aren’t using it then you might have to argue. I think that in the actual oil there’s not a lot of difference, it’s recommended by Toyota and that’s what should be used. Something to do with climate temperatures and ease of starting and better mpg. Toyota have spent millions of dollars on R&D and I’m sure that lubrications was an important part of that.

• Like 5

Oils and tyres are two of my favourite subject  for discussion here.
I have been experimenting a lot with both and particularly with engine oils I had been using many different types of oils and additives in the same car even sometimes a mixture of all oils I had in the garage plus some additives one after the other put inside the engine and see hat happens. (not my current car though, this only ever had 0w20 Toyota, Mobil 1 and Petronas). 
Any new oil is better than no oil at all or very old oil.
Some car owners back in the days tend to change oil viscosity and types with the car age and mileage in believe that this will help reduce oil consumption but honestly it doesn’t and it’s simply another car myth.
From all mine experiments and gained experience I can confirm that the best for your engine is using the exact spec oil as the car came out of the factory, same applies to all other lubricants and fluids, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid etc. what you can change without any worries  is the windscreen washer fluid 👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Really good point Tony, stick to the manufacturers recommendations and if something goes wrong you do have a leg to stand on.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, IT Troll said:

I had a Prius, originally it was 0w20, then 0w16. All I did when I got to service reception i said “I would like you to use 0w16, if it’s good enough for Mr T it’s good enough for me”. Didn’t have a problem. Oil grade used was stated on the invoice.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

Oil grade used was stated on the invoice.

Cal me an old cynic but I bet the service manager told the mechanic to use the usual oil and put 0w16 in the book. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

As long as the oil is recommended by Toyota and covers the temperatures we get here does it matter if its 0w8 or 0w16?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Cal me an old cynic but I bet the service manager told the mechanic to use the usual oil and put 0w16 in the book. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking and why I won’t go back very easy to type correct grade and put in cheapest 

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

“Your an old cynic”.

I understand where you coming from, after all there are rogue traders in every walk of life.  However, the Toyota dealer I used has a very high regard from me, some others on this forum, and no doubt from many non members of this forum. Good ones do exist.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

As long as the oil is recommended by Toyota and covers the temperatures we get here does it matter if its 0w8 or 0w16?

It won’t matter in one oil change for your car but may matter in 5 oil changes. 0w16, 0w20 are interchangeable with 0w8 engine oil indeed and I believe not far off as specs. However we are talking about main dealer service, not corner shop to use interchangeable specs or aftermarket.
The car has came of the factory with 0w8 oil and original Toyota filters so when you go to the dealer for services which aren’t cheap either you will expect all parts and lubricants to be exact spec, not an equivalent replacement within the specs. The later can be done via third party garage, mobile mechanic or as diy at much cheaper price. People goes to the dealer with greater believe and trust that the car will receive the best possible care with the exact parts and lubricants , fluids etc as it was out of the factory. How would you feel if you find out that they not only used 0w20 oil but also your filters aren’t oem Toyota but Bosch for example? Meantime Toyota official website promotes and recommends to use only original Toyota parts as the best for your car. 
When I purchase parts from the dealer I expect only original Toyota parts, not aftermarket. I had experience buying parts from the dealer and they delivered aftermarket, which were high quality but non oem, obviously I had returned these as I was able to buy from another supplier at cheaper price. I go to the dealer for one reason, oem parts in Toyota package and exact specs. 

• Like 10

Exactly, paying dealer prices should be exact spec at least when it comes to oil, not an inferior grade of oil and it's cheaper. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Exactly, paying dealer prices should be exact spec at least when it comes to oil, not an inferior grade of oil and it's cheaper. 

You are right you should "expect" no less but they don't get the name stealerships for nothing!

(not aimed at Toyota they all get the label) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Or they just look at the low mileage and don't bother changing at all...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

At least they usually wipe the oil filter with a rag to make it look new, even if they don't change it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

At least they usually wipe the oil filter with a rag to make it look new, even if they don't change it.

Perhaps a couple  of wipes add extra torque to the filter and then that’s why we are getting trouble undoing it 😂👌

• Haha 4

Joking aside you have to trust the dealer servicing or a non franchise to use the right stuff I will go for the dealer stamp, when mine is ready for it's MOT I will get that done locally then take it for it's service that way I will not be replacing anything they failed but will take advantage of the 12 months warranty they give with a full service. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

Actually would that be too bad? 

I do the drain valve, allow any water, sediment and iron filings to drain and replace the plug.  Top up, job done? 

My high mileage Merc once went 19,000 between oil changes.  It was burning about a litre per 1,000 miles, so I had done a running change anyway 😁

The car was coming up to 15 and the rust bug was active so I wasn't bothered about the engine.  A tank of fuel and an oil change was more expensive thab than the car. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

DOH - I have just realised i put 0w-16 when i meant 0w-8  

• Like 1