Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First service

Bernard Foy

0w-8 is used as it's thinner creating less drag on the ICE rotating. Giving higher fuel economy. That said, I read somewhere there's a 0.8% fuel advantage using 0w-8 over 0w-16. As the manual states if the vehicle is driven in a spirited manner then use 0w-16 due to hotter temps as 0w-8 would thin out even further degrading faster. So, if you're doing a lot of M/way miles at speed I'd use a thicker viscosity oil. Never follow manufacture service schedules. The been counters have asked the engineers how far can we stretch the service intervals to make the vehicle last the average lifespan of a car. Modern ICE can last well in excess of 100k miles going onto >200k if the oil is changed more regularly i.e. change it when it still a nice tan brown colour, not black! In other words change a good oil for a new oil, not a worn oil for a new oil.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, chris01942 said:

Never follow manufacture service schedules.

oh please.  If everybody at least follows the service schedules the world will be less floated with damaged engines. It's not about doing oil changes more frequently but meet the plan, for example every 8k km, no need to do that these days(maybe if high load is applied on the car).

The problem for many peoples is to do that service schedules, they stretch them over and over or maybe skip them totaly. If you do an oil change by book in normal commuting (10-15k km a year) your toyota engine will last for years. No need to make any extensive oil changes,  or oil changes after the first 1000km, because your oil is full of metal shavings, well no it's not, they are stuck in the oil filter and oil pan magnet, and you are just wasting your money and time.

Even german's 30k km interval or one a year is fine. If you do >30k km a year those are probably highway kilometers and that is nothing for modern engines. 30k km on a highway is better than 5k km in the city operation, especially for diesel. But that's customer's fault to buy a big diesel to commute 3km to the work.

I know plenty of people that are unable to go to the service once a year because they " don't have time" or "that's ok, u just pul half a liter of new oil and it will be fine". This is the real cause of engine failures. People are just stupid 😄They think they are smarter than the manufacturer. Because they know better. Like many mechanics do. And yes, sometimes the engine is just crap it self like a 2.2 diesel in mazda cx5. They wore out no matter what service was been done.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chris01942 said:

Never follow manufacture service schedules.

Tosh.

• Thanks 2

I had a Fiesta Diesel.  It had an oil change every 8 weeks.  In a week I did 600 miles, in 8 weeks I did about 5,000 miles which was the recommended service interval.  I sold the car at 185,000 miles.

OK, I followed the recommended service interval though, tempting as extending it each time.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RobertR said:

oh please.  If everybody at least follows the service schedules the world will be less floated with damaged engines. It's not about doing oil changes more frequently but meet the plan, for example every 8k km, no need to do that these days(maybe if high load is applied on the car).

The problem for many peoples is to do that service schedules, they stretch them over and over or maybe skip them totaly. If you do an oil change by book in normal commuting (10-15k km a year) your toyota engine will last for years. No need to make any extensive oil changes,  or oil changes after the first 1000km, because your oil is full of metal shavings, well no it's not, they are stuck in the oil filter and oil pan magnet, and you are just wasting your money and time.

Even german's 30k km interval or one a year is fine. If you do >30k km a year those are probably highway kilometers and that is nothing for modern engines. 30k km on a highway is better than 5k km in the city operation, especially for diesel. But that's customer's fault to buy a big diesel to commute 3km to the work.

I know plenty of people that are unable to go to the service once a year because they " don't have time" or "that's ok, u just pul half a liter of new oil and it will be fine". This is the real cause of engine failures. People are just stupid 😄They think they are smarter than the manufacturer. Because they know better. Like many mechanics do. And yes, sometimes the engine is just crap it self like a 2.2 diesel in mazda cx5. They wore out no matter what service was been done.

Agreed 👍

Skipping service intervals or pro long the time between those. I know people who buy new cars on lease with mileage restrictions, drive them more than me and only service officially once per year because of the mileage restrictions . Sometimes they do in between official services unofficial oil change sometimes they don’t. Then after the year 3 they return the cars clocked obviously with already probably damage done to the vital components. Good luck to the next owner of the used approved car 😂👌

• Like 2

I was looking the bill of last year service ( first service ) on the same dealer ( big dealer that services also a lot of taxies ) where I bougt my Yaris.  The bill says 3.6 L of Genuine Toyota Oil ( without any grade indication )  but part number column says 5W30.   I've to be alarmed ? 

47 minutes ago, RickyC said:

I was looking the bill of last year service ( first service ) on the same dealer ( big dealer that services also a lot of taxies ) where I bougt my Yaris.  The bill says 3.6 L of Genuine Toyota Oil ( without any grade indication )  but part number column says 5W30.   I've to be alarmed ? 

That is not good. It won't do harm to the engine, though it won't perform optimally, slightly less mpg than the 0W8. This thread is good in highlighting this issue. Insist on 0W8 at the next service of go elsewhere. Perhaps phone them to let them know of your displeasure. 

When my MK4 is due for a service I know what to do. Though they can say on the invoice 0W8, I will not know unless paying to have a sample tested. 

On another note, the manufacturer recommended service interval should be followed at the very least, outside of that those that want to change oil more often then it's up to the individual. 

• Like 2

At least to be 0w20 or 0w16. 5w30 Toyota own oil it’s not even fully synthetic , but semi synthetic low grade oil imo. I had it in one of my cars previously and I didn’t like at all and replaced after only 5000 miles. The oil was literally burnt black where other oils like Shell helix, Total, Castrol did much better. 
5w30 on later hybrids it’s simply a shame for the dealer who dine it. 

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

At least to be 0w20 or 0w16. 5w30 Toyota own oil it’s not even fully synthetic , but semi synthetic low grade oil imo. I had it in one of my cars previously and I didn’t like at all and replaced after only 5000 miles. The oil was literally burnt black where other oils like shell helix, Total, Castrol did much better. 
5w30 on later hybrids it’s simply a shame for the dealer who dine it. 

If there using semi that’s not right to me at very least needs to be fully 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

If there using semi that’s not right to me at very least needs to be fully 

Indeed, but when you skip service intervals here what happens next.
This car is only 4 years old,  Toyota dynamic force engine., perhaps never serviced at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, RickyC said:

53 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

This car is only 4 years old,  Toyota dynamic force engine., perhaps never serviced at all. 

Can’t think of a scenario of why someone would treat a expensive car in such a way , 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Clean oil is the cheapest mechanic is an old saying, and true I reckon.

A possible scenario is a combination of wilful ignorance, stupidity, and simply not giving a toss.

The only reason I can think of for this level of neglect though,is that the driver is not going to be responsible for the costs or simply doesn't care.

Maybe a leasing or company car situation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

What a video! Amazed that the engine was still running. A real description of what happens when maintenance schedules are not followed and then abused. Thanks for ferreting it out and posting it. It all helps with me making sure I do my best to get the right oil at the right time when service time comes round.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Russ Taylor said:

What a video! Amazed that the engine was still running. A real description of what happens when maintenance schedules are not followed and then abused. Thanks for ferreting it out and posting it. It all helps with me making sure I do my best to get the right oil at the right time when service time comes round.

Why they change the engine., if it was me I would have cleaned properly with some wd-40, egr cleaner spray and run 3 oil changes plus engine flush. New oil filter and measure compression again. If all ok the engine will be good for another 100-150k miles easily.  The cams, bearings, and oil pick up looked clean and preserved. I had shared before another video of the same car with the same engine from USA , tested for over 200k miles , stripped off the entire engine, measured and there was almost no wear to the parts. Toyota does a good engine’s indeed 👍
Biggest surprise to me was the low mileage 64k km is around 40k miles and 4 years. This mileage I do on average per year with my car but I do change oil every 10k miles and I have no issues to date , except some oil consumption that started after 140k miles but that’s normal imo. I was a bit sceptical about these new dynamic force engines but now I have confidence and wouldn’t hesitate to buy a car with one. 👌

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Why they change the engine., if it was me I would have cleaned properly

I thought the same when i watched it if the bearings, compression and timing chain tensioner and chain are all fine why not give it a go instead of throwing thousands of pounds at a new engine.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 8:55 AM, RobertR said:

RobertR I don't know if you read my whole post, but where you quoted me 'never follow the manufactures service schedule' I was arguing for more regular oil & filter changes, not extending them past the manufactures service schedule! Change a good oil for new oil, not worn oil for new oil. Hope this helps?

Regards, Chris

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, chris01942 said:

RobertR I don't know if you read my whole post, but where you quoted me 'never follow the manufactures service schedule' I was arguing for more regular oil & filter changes, not extending them past the manufactures service schedule! Change a good oil for new oil, not worn oil for new oil. Hope this helps?

Regards, Chris

That’s right , I will agree with that but for every car will be different and will apply the following criteria, here screenshot from the same video. image.thumb.png.d344324f63a51498004a683139bef383.png
For many the 10k miles or 12 months oil change intervals are absolutely fine and will never cause any problems. No need early oil changes, or 1000 miles oil change or anything. Perhaps follow manufacturer recommendations but always use common sense too. 👍

• Like 2