Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New doggy

Yugguy1970

Basil the cavapoo.

Tiny, bouncy, very cute.

Brought him home Saturday.

IMG-20230130-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.2842d794370f71ab8d1b024396e95d3a.jpeg

• Like 8

He's so tiny, he can squeeze through the pen bars so I've had to chicken wire it 🤣

20230130_104242.thumb.jpg.f39d0ce67a56e2bda24e7c20a7fd2b68.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just wish I knew what the best route with sleep and crate training was.

• Like 2

Beautiful wee dog, but this is a Toyota car owners forum 🤔.

• Haha 4

Well some of the threads have gone to the dogs so no harm in having a thread about dogs :laugh: 

Hmm, how about a cute doggo picture competition thread? :clap:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

He's so tiny, he can squeeze through the pen bars so I've had to chicken wire it 🤣

20230130_104242.thumb.jpg.f39d0ce67a56e2bda24e7c20a7fd2b68.jpg

Remember we had the same problem with our West Highland terrier pup, I threaded card board through the gate to stop her 😃

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Never been a fan of crates, but I understand it can be needed in various circumstances 👍

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well some of the threads have gone to the dogs so no harm in having a thread about dogs :laugh: 

Hmm, how about a cute doggo picture competition thread? :clap:

I almost kicked my dog out, but we renegotiated the terms of his leash.😂🐕

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Our dogs love crates.  Scotties like to get in small confined spaces with top cover.  With two Scotties and two boxes the smaller one was favourite.

Our present Scottie had a nylon canvas travel kennel.  She always travels in it and frequently sleeps in it in the house by choice.

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Oh that's easy.  It helps if your dog is house trained when you got it.  Ours, at 3 months, was already trained.

Seriously, try and preempt.  Put it out before a meal, then immediately after the meal.  Then when you think just put it out and tell it to do its business.  You will soon get the frequency right followed by the timing.

• Like 3

To add: it is mandatory that a dog must be restrained in a car.  Our travel kennel does that and provides a secure and familiar environment for her.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

What a handsome little chap!!

Did you get a toy, blanket or similar from his mum? This is key to train them to feel comfortable and at home in the crate. He needs to know the crate means comfort and sleep. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Basil the cavapoo.

Tiny, bouncy, very cute.

That's a very cute little dog.🙂

And I get the poo bit being part poodle, but what is the cava bit please?

Re sleep training, I dunno about that breed, but when a doberman/German Shepard adopted me, he was about 3 months old , and was happy to sleep in his basket as long as he had one of my slippers with him.

He continued this habit into adulthood, and when I worked away he stayed happy with a slipper at home.

When he got a bit older I could take him to work with me measuring road construction works, but sadly he never got the hang of holding a measuring wheel with his front paws, and recording the chainages in the field book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

And I get the poo bit being part poodle, but what is the cava bit please?

Cavalier King Charles 

• Like 3

Looks a cutey, we had a cavalier king Charles spaniel until 7 years ago, lovely dogs but worst dog we had for fur shedding, so can see the appeal of these dogs. Funnily enough our first dog was a black poodle, he was a right so n so, deffo my Mum's dog. Got a Tibetan terrier and a Yorkie at the moment, again lovely dogs. Love the play pen, we used one for last few puppies they come in handy, but as you say they do like to try and escape. Good luck with your new doggie, hope all goes well.

• Like 5

Oh Lordy this old forum has gone to the doghouse 🤣

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Basil the cavapoo.

Tiny, bouncy, very cute.

Cute dog 👍 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Puglet said:

Looks a cutey, we had a cavalier king Charles spaniel until 7 years ago, lovely dogs but worst dog we had for fur shedding,

The cross with poodle 🐩 means they don’t shed at all - nothing, zero, zilch, nichts, nada! 🐶🙃

• Like 4

We had a Beagle before this, she was bouncy but intelligent and it didn't take long, she kind of trained herself.

We're getting there with basil, I've got a handle now on how to sleep train, it's just persevering through it.

He's such a cute little doggy as well.

He shouldn't shed too much we reckon, as he's a little more on the poodle side with curly hair.

• Like 5

A neighbour got a cavapoo last year and it a nice friendly dog and not too big either, the cockapoos seem to be a bit too big imo, but we always had smaller dogs. If it has the temperament and loving nature of the cavalier you are on to a winner.

3 hours ago, APS said:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, APS said:

What a handsome little chap!!

Did you get a toy, blanket or similar from his mum? This is key to train them to feel comfortable and at home in the crate. He needs to know the crate means comfort and sleep. 

We had a Westie who we fed in the cage.  At supper time she would run in and wait. 

The cage must be safe and fun and not locked in and punishment. 

• Like 5