Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suggestion which Avensis is the most reliable

AisinW

I am not familiar with Avensis and plan to buy one with Automatic transmission. I believe it has 4 speed, 5, and CVT in later model. 

Avensis pre-2007 :

I prefer gasoline: 1.8L , 2.0L. I am worry about the D4 system on 2.4L, is it direct injection only?

I have no clue with the Diesel engines. I think as long as there is no DPF filter, i  less concern.

Post 2007

How notorious is the Valvematic system in 1.8, 2.0, and 2.4 L gasoline engine. I skip the diesel post 2007 because all have DPF filter.  

Is there anything I should check carefully on those? 

So I am considering pre 2007 diesel and all gasoline Avensis. 

from 2015 1.8 engine are less fuel needed and more nicer interior and so.

i have 2010 and 2018

if they are in good condition:

2010 take 8L\100km

2018 take 5.5L\100km even in relax mode in super condition you can earn 5L\100km but this is only for crazy ones = like me.

both are high high +++ reliable.

have a nice day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. 2018 is too new for me for a spare car. My budget is less than €6000 and look for the least problematic one. I know that many valvematic have problems after certain period/km. I also avoid any direct injection only engines (2, and 2.4L). 

The  other downside is of 1.8L is engine oil consumption if it is used in city too often and do 10k miles/16k km oil change interval.

I just found out that the pre 2007 1.8L uses 1.8L 1ZZ engine that is notorious for oil consumption.  

It is a kind of a mix now, the 2008 or newer has better 2ZR-FE engine but use valvematic.  The other gasoline engines are direct injection only. I think the 1.8L eith valvematic has the least potential problems.

11 hours ago, AisinW said:

As far as I know, T25 diesels have head gasket problems, especially the 2.2 models.

I used to have a T25 petrol 1.6 vvti and I drove about 360k km on it without any problems. It was reliable, I would say. Don´t know about 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 engines.

T25 models have certain issues with rusting in lower control arms.

And you are on right track about valvematic, it is common issue in 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 engines. I think 2.4 valvematic doesn´t exist, does it?

• Like 2

The 2.4L is a good engine as long as it is never ever get overheated.  The head gasket is pretty weak in 2.4L and the head bolt treads are often strip off once it gets overheat. The problem is the direct injection only.  Apart from it, I believe the post 2006 1.6L has revised piston rings and have a good reliability records. But I am not sure if it is available with Automatic 4 speed.

• Like 1

I have a T25 2007 2.2 D4D 150HP and I drove for 205K Km on it without any problems but I don't fail, oil and filters changes on time. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, AisinW said:

I am not familiar with Avensis and plan to buy one with Automatic transmission. I believe it has 4 speed, 5, and CVT in later model. 

Avensis pre-2007 :

I prefer gasoline: 1.8L , 2.0L. I am worry about the D4 system on 2.4L, is it direct injection only?

I have no clue with the Diesel engines. I think as long as there is no DPF filter, i  less concern.

Post 2007

How notorious is the Valvematic system in 1.8, 2.0, and 2.4 L gasoline engine. I skip the diesel post 2007 because all have DPF filter.  

Why do you want an Avensis particularly? 
Can it be something else? 
I have a relative abroad who owns 2006 top trim level with 2.0 direct injection engine and 17” wheels. He owns the car since 2008 I believe and has almost no trouble at all. What he ever changed were wheel bearings, brakes, and clutch at 250000km. He also fill with any petrol available including E10, he said no problems at all.  

• Like 6

Thanks for the input guys.  I also found that the post 2005, the 1ZZ engine is no longer prone to oil consumption. http://mywikimotors.com/toyota-1zz/

I chose Avensis because it is larger size and more substantial interior and suspension than Corolla atht that year range. I think I am searching for the 2005-2008 1.8L, followed by 2.0L. 

I also considering Honda Accord 2.0L 2008-newer.  It has classic i-VTEC that is less problematic than Valvematic although I still need to do valve lifter adjustment periodically. A classic Honda way, instead of Toyota flat tappet or hydraulic lifter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

what about the 2014 2.0 d4d  1ADFTV engine t27 toyota avensis cars are they dependably. mine got a dpf im just waiting for that to give bother sometime later on but what can i do as im sure will happen as for all the miles i do is not  that much tbh plus im not one of those guys that revs the ******* out of the car 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just saw this post and glad AisinW (John) did some research as well as ask the questions. I own a 2009 T27 1.8 Valvematic Tourer and apart from the odd idle problem, the engine has had no issues. The other problem is the EPB (electronic parking brake). My car has had some issues with the EPB, all caused by human error. All were fixed! The other issue with early T27, models is the paint cracking around the front door strap area. I use larger washers to spread the load around the bolt area. 
I have looked at the T25 in detail and the later versions are great cars. I remember comparing my T27 with a  friends T25 Tourer - 

I was fortunate to find my T27 at a similar price to T25 at the time. My choice was down to having the newer model and what my car came with - cruise control and 6th gear for more relaxed cruising, bluetooth handsfree as standard. In general both 1.8 engines (and other capacity petrol engines) are safe bets, especially with lots of UK cities and towns introducing ULEZ that mainly effect the diesels versions! Getting a good second-hand car will be down to how previous owners treated it and overall condition. Hopefully John will have a few years trouble free motoring.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have had a  2010 1.8 TR Valvematic petrol estate for just over a year now, excellent so far. A few minor niggles which I have sorted. My opinion is (by reading this forum) that the BMW engine diesels can be (by Toyota standards) troublesome. All other variants seem to be typically reliable. Years ago I had a  Toyota Yaris D4D (2005 model) which was bomb proof, superb, still going to this day, so, get a good Toyota and you are likely to have relatively trouble free motoring. Good luck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure where you get your information that the V-matic badged petrol engines are problematic?

I am sure there are odd cases but in most these are very, very reliable units either as the 1.6  in the Auris or the Avensis 1.8/2.0.

As an owner of a 2010 estate 1.8, the car was very reliable so far over the 50k I owned it (she is approaching 150k now and is getting a new clutch).

It needs consumables like tyres, brakes , clutch on the manual versions etc' but nothing out of the usual.

On top of what already mentioned, the only other typical fault with age is wind noise coming from the front door windows corners where the rubber get dry and brittle, easy and cheap to fix.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shavestick said:

I am not sure where you get your information that the V-matic badged petrol engines are problematic

Maybe they are not particularly problematic, but it is not a big secret that Toyota have (had) issues with valvematic. I think when the mileage increases, it will break down sooner than the rest of the engine.

The electronics of the actuator are in harsh conditions in the cylinder head (heat, etc).  And I know that they have also had faults in the actuator mechanism.

Toyota has improved their (valvematic) durability in newer models. This must have happened because their part number has also changed a few times...

• Like 4

I think there are disadvantages and advantages with each model, best to search for a bargain. Then research that model. Though it also depends on driving style, and service history. 

Though my Yaris had no service history. I just did the normal service routine, and it was healed. Though have not changed the oil in 3 years, but will do so when it warms up. Though still quiet when idle. 

My Avensis 2007 still good with no oil level problems. Biggest problem was a revving problem that was solved 3 years ago by cleaning an engine valve. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, m456an said:

I think there are disadvantages and advantages with each model, best to search for a bargain. Then research that model. Though it also depends on driving style, and service history. 

Though my Yaris had no service history. I just did the normal service routine, and it was healed. Though have not changed the oil in 3 years, but will do so when it warms up. Though still quiet when idle. 

My Avensis 2007 still good with no oil level problems. Biggest problem was a revving problem that was solved 3 years ago by cleaning an engine valve. 

Why haven’t changed the oil for 3 years? This is where and when the things starts to go bad for your engine. Even only 1000 or less miles per year been done the engine oil on any car should be changed every 12 months. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:47 AM, TonyHSD said:

Why haven’t changed the oil for 3 years? This is where and when the things starts to go bad for your engine. Even only 1000 or less miles per year been done the engine oil on any car should be changed every 12 months. 

I use fully synthetic oil, it is semi synthetic that needs changing every year. I also change the filter. Both Avensis and Yaris do not do that many miles. Yaris still has low noise at idle. I believe 3 years is good enough, I also believe that it is a lie to change oil every year spread by oil companies. Maybe it is a conspiracy theory and it does go against what most people believe but it is my intuitive opinion.

I think there is a video on yt by Scotty. He was once told to fix a Toyota which was at 100 000 miles which had never had the oil changed. He does praise Toyota cars. 

But I will do an oil change this year. Also the Battery has not been changed though the Battery was not new when we bought the Yaris 3 years ago. I did do 2 load tests on the Battery and I got 9.64 and 9.66. That was a pass, though I would have to do another test in 6 months. 

• Sad 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:03 PM, AisinW said:

Thanks for the input guys.  I also found that the post 2005, the 1ZZ engine is no longer prone to oil consumption. http://mywikimotors.com/toyota-1zz/

I chose Avensis because it is larger size and more substantial interior and suspension than Corolla atht that year range. I think I am searching for the 2005-2008 1.8L, followed by 2.0L. 

I also considering Honda Accord 2.0L 2008-newer.  It has classic i-VTEC that is less problematic than Valvematic although I still need to do valve lifter adjustment periodically. A classic Honda way, instead of Toyota flat tappet or hydraulic lifter. 

Would you consider a Mazda 6 petrol? Not diesel - well at least not the 2.0l, 2.2l are meant to be better. Drove a petrol 2002 one for 9 years without touching the engine, great car. The only issue I had was sticking calipers which they are known for. Rust on the back door sill killed it at NCT eventually. My current 2011 D4D 1AD FTV @ 140k km has required more tlc than I'd have hoped for. Injector issues on horizon now which will be expensive.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, m456an said:

I use fully synthetic oil, it is semi synthetic that needs changing every year. I also change the filter. Both Avensis and Yaris do not do that many miles. Yaris still has low noise at idle. I believe 3 years is good enough, I also believe that it is a lie to change oil every year spread by oil companies. Maybe it is a conspiracy theory and it does go against what most people believe but it is my intuitive opinion.

I think there is a video on yt by Scotty. He was once told to fix a Toyota which was at 100 000 miles which had never had the oil changed. He does praise Toyota cars. 

But I will do an oil change this year. Also the battery has not been changed though the battery was not new when we bought the Yaris 3 years ago. I did do 2 load tests on the battery and I got 9.64 and 9.66. That was a pass, though I would have to do another test in 6 months. 

This is really a wrong thinking and it’s the beginning of the end of any engine.
Any car except classic that barely sees any use should have oil change at every 12 months no matter how much use they gets, 1000 miles or below, or up to the maximum recommended mileage which is 10k miles on most Toyota cars.
Engine Oil has a shelf life of 5-6 years, could be even more but not recommended to use an old oil, I have tried that too and it’s no go. However once the oil is filled into the engine and the engine is run for few times then really you should replace it within the 12 months period, even if you drive daily on short trips and keep car at idle for long you may also consider 6 months or 5k miles change.  In very rare cases that you barely use the car, like let say holiday car that been only used in the summer for 2-3 weeks each year you may skip a year service but that’s it , no more than that.  The third year is critical and it’s when the oil start to form harmful deposits and with all consequences. I have my own opinion and personal experience and although I agree that there are many car myths about changing this or that the engine oil yearly change it’s not a myth but real deal and highly recommended to everyone to do it. That’s my experience, if you happy your own way that’s also fine 👍

• Like 7

I guess people need to do their own thing that they are happy with. I have relations who think that that yearly oil changes are some sort of con. All I can say is that I have two 30 year old Toyotas which are still running beautifully and the one thing I have done religiously is ensure the oil is changed at minimum every 12 months. I realise that I didn't have a control sample (ie. another one where I didn't change the oil 🤣) - so who knows - but it's hard to see how dirty oil is an advantage. I also use the best oil I can.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NeilMH said:

I guess people need to do their own thing that they are happy with. I have relations who think that that yearly oil changes are some sort of con. All I can say is that I have two 30 year old Toyotas which are still running beautifully and the one thing I have done religiously is ensure the oil is changed at minimum every 12 months. I realise that I didn't have a control sample (ie. another one where I didn't change the oil 🤣) - so who knows - but it's hard to see how dirty oil is an advantage. I also use the best oil I can.

Here on recent 2019 rav4 that has never had an oil change for its lifetime and has traveled 65k km around 40k miles, that’s not much , I do that every year and of course 4 oil changes. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

This is really a wrong thinking and it’s the beginning of the end of any engine.
Any car except classic that barely sees any use should have oil change at every 12 months no matter how much use they gets, 1000 miles or below, or up to the maximum recommended mileage which is 10k miles on most Toyota cars.
Engine Oil has a shelf life of 5-6 years, could be even more but not recommended to use an old oil, I have tried that too and it’s no go. However once the oil is filled into the engine and the engine is run for few times then really you should replace it within the 12 months period, even if you drive daily on short trips and keep car at idle for long you may also consider 6 months or 5k miles change.  In very rare cases that you barely use the car, like let say holiday car that been only used in the summer for 2-3 weeks each year you may skip a year service but that’s it , no more than that.  The third year is critical and it’s when the oil start to form harmful deposits and with all consequences. I have my own opinion and personal experience and although I agree that there are many car myths about changing this or that the engine oil yearly change it’s not a myth but real deal and highly recommended to everyone to do it. That’s my experience, if you happy your own way that’s also fine 👍

Plus one on that. I have always home serviced my cars (and family), changed the oil religiously every 12 months and (touch wood) have never had any engine issues whatsoever on any of my cars (and that's a lot of cars trust me!). I have seen instances however where people do not service their cars and they, literally, have died beyond economic repair. All for the sake of a £30 can of oil and a £10 filter. My opinion I guess, but I will not be swayed.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, NeilMH said:

What kinda Toyota avensis u own way it a 2.0 d4d 1adftv engine plus when comes to best oil you can get are u talking about Toyota genuine oil or others as I see that Castrol magnetic oil out and we'll tbh that's the last thing I would want is oil sticking 2 my engine. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

What kinda Toyota avensis u own way it a 2.0 d4d 1adftv engine plus when comes to best oil you can get are u talking about Toyota genuine oil or others as I see that Castrol magnetic oil out and we'll tbh that's the last thing I would want is oil sticking 2 my engine. 

I own two 1993 petrol Corollas. I used to own a 1997 petrol 1.8 Avensis. I use/used Castrol Edge 5/30 fully synthetic on all of them.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links