Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

0-60 Times

Riddles

Hey everybody,

I have just become the proud owner of a Corolla Gti-16 on an F-plate thanks to one of those friend of a friend type routes. However, it has a knackered clutch (to be dealt with by RSR for £100) and needs a new radiator so isn't running at the moment. The body work is scruffy but not terminal and the interior is mint., so for £350 I wasn't going to say no! However, I can't seem to get an agreed 0-60 time for it. Its the 4AG-E DOHC engine and the times I've seen vary from 8.2 all the way up to 8.9. My goal is to have it ready for the Redline Rumble day at Santa Pod on the 1st of June (small resprays, Powerflow decat etc) and would like to know what kind of 1/4 mile time I should be achieving. Its done just under 100,000k but the engine runs fine and has been kept fully serviced, the bloke I bought it for is the furthest away from a lunatic as you'll ever see, the car was given to him by his uncle, so it has been treated nicely!

Any help for a new member of the Toyota movement will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Riddles

o-60 depends on so many factors, including weather conditions, driver, day of the week etc. but 8.2 sounds about right, if you're used to the drag strip and you have your gear changes sorted in a stock Rolla, expect no quicker than an 18sec ET, but add a decent exhaust and filter and you'll be down to 16sec ET :) not bad really 2sec for bolt on breathing.

Add cams for a 14-15sec ET then you'll be looking at re-mapped ecu etc.

All this assumes that your suspension allows for decent traction and launches.

For me the best launch rpm has proved to be about 3000rpm - but then thats my car. :)

welcome.

edited to add.... the above is only true for non-tvis 4age's not sure if yours is or isnt ?

Thanks, I've already got RSR to order me in a powerflow full system (not inclusive of manifold or downpipe) and a nice shiny Blitz induction kit is on its way from Japan via eBay as we speak. I have 35mm springs and a new set of 15's to fit and a mate of mine is sourcing me a strut brace :) , so hopefully traction and breathing won't be a problem. Its pre-92, so I think its the t-vis engine, the mk1 MR2 engine?

On the topic of chips and cams, I'm looking at a BBR chip for £120. They claim a 10% increase for power and torque, but I guess you believe what you want to believe! For cams, I've heard that they are a bit hit and miss. Some say that they are just amazing for mid-top range, both for pick up and top speed, but others say that they demolish your low range revs and make your car sound like a tractor! I guess it just depends on what level cams you buy?

Riddles

the level of CAM you choose is limited by your engine management system for a non tvis 4age with stock ECU you cant exceed 270' for both ports.

Kent Cams do a kit for fast road 4-age engines at about 262' i think, but i'm yet to have enough spare cash to give them a run :(

perhaps we could blag a couple of free sets for review purposes ??? LOL.

The cams depend on how you drive.

You can get mild cams which work well at lov revs right up to race and the rally, which are almost unusable lowerdown.

Ive got rally cams on mine (304's) and their so much fun. At anything below 4500rpm she will pull like a pig, but after that its amazing after my rebuild i'lll hopefully be able to take her all they way up to 8000rpm. With cams like mine u really have to work the engine and not let up at all to get the best. And if u want to pull away at lights u have to drop the clutch at least at 5000rpm :lol:

Also the longer the cam duration the less fuel economy u get, low down the petrol alomst goes straight out the otherway because their is such a large overlap.

It all comes down to how u like to drive.....

And seeing (hearing) this monster in action you would be smiling unbelievably, 1973 car that would put most of us to shame...

try going for a mongoose system i had one and was well chuffed with it decent power incrwase and a great sound too. superchips do an upgrade as well so with air filter exhaust and superchip your looking at maybe 135-140 bhp on the t-vis lump

Superchip..... Try Unichip, if installed correctly suppeod to be far superior, I am after a mongoose for my 2, think I know where I can get one for free :D

Rhaines if your after an exhaust for your 2 i've got the best one money can buy. It was on my car for 6 months b4 i had an interesting meeting with a wet corner and subsequently a field. I've also got a bomex front bumper, unpainted for sale. Mail me on tomaddo@yahoo.com for info on prices etc. And unichips are excellent. I know of someone who was running a mk2 2 with induction kit,decat, full system and unichip and he was making 197 bhp!!! They are expensive thou.

Tom

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links