Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris MK4 reversing camera

JakesYarisHybrid

Hi all,

Is it normal for the reversing camera to lag (not smooth) when reversing? There was no lag on my first mk4 but I wonder if its the new multimedia software with the new software having to handle more memory?

Mine will take a second or two before the screen comes to life and I would have moved backwards a yard, but if I wait a second then the picture comes up.

• Like 4

Not seen a camera lag, there is a standard delay when selecting reverse, book it in with the dealer

• Like 5

Mine once froze completely was half way up the street while the “not so” smart connect screen was still reversing out of my drive! Had to restart the system to clear it. It’s not done it again since. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Almost instantaneous this morning, so there you have it.

• Like 3

Something not right if there is a lag with the picture. Only the initial switch but then after should be clear and no lag. 

• Like 4

May have to take it to a dealer. Not that it's a big issue. Thanks for the comments!

• Like 3

If you can do it safely, make for us a video of what you consider as laggy reversing camera.

I don't have issues with my camera too, picture quality is from stone age but it work, even at night.

• Like 4

Mine's definitely in real-time (Probably why they still use the analogue TV-quality camera :laugh: ), but you have the newer Smart connect headunit, so it may be a bit different.

I have had the head unit crash and reboot while I was half-way through a reversing manoeuvre; So far it's happened twice in the 1-and-a-bit years I've had the car but I can't find a reason or reproduce it (I suspect it might be a badly-encoded MP3 or something on my USB stick but that'd be a proper needle in a haystack to find...!)

• Like 3

As I mentioned it could be with the new head unit as theres more info (memory) to run on the system than the old one as it has a lot more features so perhaps that's why it's lagging because it cannot handle it, if that makes sense. Like a slow computer, it probably needs some higher components to make it run better.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JakesYarisHybrid said:

As I mentioned it could be with the new head unit as theres more info (memory) to run on the system than the old one as it has a lot more features so perhaps that's why it's lagging because it cannot handle it, if that makes sense. Like a slow computer, it probably needs some higher components to make it run better.

Or permits a glitch and may require hard reset disconnecting the negativity terminal of the 12v Battery for 20 min or software update. Best to speak with your dealer about it. Tell them it’s a safety issue you want to be look at for free plus it’s a brand new car. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 3

Just thought I’d clarify that my camera only froze the once, normally it works fine with no lag. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

Just thought I’d clarify that my camera only froze the once, normally it works fine with no lag. 

So you don’t have any problems then, only once it’s not counting. 👍

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

So you don’t have any problems then, only once it’s not counting. 👍

I haven’t got a problem but it looks like Jake the op has

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

I haven’t got a problem but it looks like Jake the op has

Oops, my bad. Pardon me 👌👍

• Like 1