Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV... New ticking noise?

Nick72

New one, never heard this sound before but it sounds like a ticking sound with a frequency of about 3 to 6 times a second. Like a piece of tape catching a desktop fan set on low speed. Pretty clear from the outside but can't hear it in the car. Coming from the front of the engine near radiator. Initially assumed a twig or leaf catching on something rotating like a cooling fan but couldn't see anything obvious. 

Never heard this before and Ive listened a few times to the engine when I've been out the car or under the bonnet.

Sure it is probably normal but it's not a normal sound I've heard before 😂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Hopefully no local arch enemies Nick ? 😱

🤣 Could be. 

10 hours ago, Nick72 said:

New one, never heard this sound before but it sounds like a ticking sound with a frequency of about 3 to 6 times a second. Like a piece of tape catching a desktop fan set on low speed. Pretty clear from the outside but can't hear it in the car. Coming from the front of the engine near radiator. Initially assumed a twig or leaf catching on something rotating like a cooling fan but couldn't see anything obvious. 

Never heard this before and Ive listened a few times to the engine when I've been out the car or under the bonnet.

Possibly a Mole trying to frantically dig it's way out of the dirt on the car? 🤣

On a serious note, not had that on mine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Presumably in Ready mode with ICE off? ... so nothing much should actually be turning?

Sounds like the sort of ticking noise one might get from a [fuel] pump or motorised valve etc. ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ernieb said:

Possibly a Mole trying to frantically dig it's way out of the dirt on the car? 🤣

On a serious note, not had that on mine.

I suppose it it is prime organic growth material so a new life form could have evolved. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, philip42h said:

Presumably in Ready mode with ICE off? ... so nothing much should actually be turning?

Sounds like the sort of ticking noise one might get from a [fuel] pump or motorised valve etc. ?

Good point. I've heard it with ICE off as well as on. Just tried. Still ticking.

Mine makes so many weird noises, and just when I think I've heard them all another one appears! I've just started ignoring them... :unsure: :laugh: 

Given how whiny the car is beepbeepbeep!* beepbeep!** BEEP!*** ding!**** beep!***** I'm just assuming it'll tell me if something is actually wrong...

*Oh you're about to crash!

**Oh you're crossing a line!

***Oh it's cold outside!

****Oh the door that you opened is open!

*****I can't be bothered to drive any more, you drive human!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Bing bong beep beep twang, I don't even like the very polite and gentle beeps that tell me that the key is in the barrel when I open the door.

I want the radio on when I open the door to get some wind in when I stop in hot weather (remember that?).

But mercifully that is the only bing bong that I have noticed on my ancient Yaris.

Dunno how I will cope if I have to replace it with a newer car full of "improvements".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Mine makes so many weird noises, and just when I think I've heard them all another one appears! I've just started ignoring them... :unsure: :laugh: 

Given how whiny the car is beepbeepbeep!* beepbeep!** BEEP!*** ding!**** beep!***** I'm just assuming it'll tell me if something is actually wrong...

***Oh it's cold outside!

You know why it makes all those sounds right? At the heart of all the electronic systems is a Ninetendo Gameboy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I didn't understand the low spec requirement market for PHEVs, can't see why it would exist.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 9:33 PM, Cyker said:

***Oh it's cold outside!

What about “check the rear seat”🤭🤪

• Haha 1

Years ago on my my 2011 Toyota Corolla d4d it develop a noise like I had a dozen day old chicks beside me in the car, but it only happened at speed and in a particular way the wind was blowing, what a racket😡. I never could replicate it for the dealership. It was only on the odd occasion it happened thankfully it disappeared on its own accord 😆. It was the weirdest thing.

• Like 2

New ticking noise has stopped as of Saturday. Been out a few times and can no longer hear it. Must be a normal intermittent thing.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Nick72 said:

New ticking noise has stopped as of Saturday. Been out a few times and can no longer hear it. Must be a normal intermittent thing.

I’ve often heard engines ticking cooling down after switching off, but yours is different.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Weather any different to before?

• Like 2

Nick, I think this might be from the heat pump system as your car has one that heats the cabin but also take care of the traction Battery temperature management. Very likely to be from the colder weather. My gf car has heat pump too and I believe I had heard similar strange ticking. 👍

• Like 3

10 hours ago, APS said:

Weather any different to before

Below zero today. A little above at the weekend. So similar temperatures.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Nick, I think this might be from the heat pump system as your car has one that heats the cabin but also take care of the traction battery temperature management. Very likely to be from the colder weather. My gf car has heat pump too and I believe I had heard similar strange ticking. 👍

I think you're probably right. Hadn't heard it before nor since now. 

• Like 2