Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross AWD Oil Filter Removal Tool

chris01942

Hi, does anyone know what type of oil filter removal tool needed for the Yaris Cross AWD?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.92055f09da32f69217e155d32e7e3c3b.png

A regular one. No need for a special tool to remove the oil filter from the (M15A‑FXE) engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just avoid buying Draper like this on my pictures. This tool has outer diameter too large and only fit some particular older models Toyota. Many sellers still selling it as fit for hybrids which actually it’s not. 
image.thumb.jpeg.09bbe3df6cec2a870b1d748eef54c3f1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c11194fe2588a2b3b31e543d40746298.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.82c2e21b25064a80c9302f4a28775db5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobertR said:

image.thumb.png.92055f09da32f69217e155d32e7e3c3b.png

A regular one. No need for a special tool to remove the oil filter from the (M15A‑FXE) engine. Good  once my free services are done by the dealership I will change the oil and filter myself, provided access is easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Filter sockets are the best but they only work if the filter has got a hex on it.  There’s loads of room in the oil service hatch so you can get one of these band wrenches on.  They’re dead easy to use on a Yaris/Cross.  

603CCC44-2C90-49AD-B3EF-CBC3AEBAD5A0.jpeg

13359545-B90F-4431-9816-601B5393348B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

Filter sockets are the best but they only work if the filter has got a hex on it.  There’s loads of room in the oil service hatch so you can get one of these band wrenches on.  They’re dead easy to use on a Yaris/Cross.  

603CCC44-2C90-49AD-B3EF-CBC3AEBAD5A0.jpeg

13359545-B90F-4431-9816-601B5393348B.jpeg

Thanks Don, I have the one as in your picture, I also have the one made of chain links which is a much stronger tool.

• Like 4

Here another idea for oil filter removal tool. It’s a strap . 
This may look like a joke but had saved me tons of trouble removing over tighten oil filters., and even not any damage caused. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264828847522?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4mJOxorzS-6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Here another idea for oil filter removal tool. It’s a strap . 
This may look like a joke but had saved me tons of trouble removing over tighten oil filters., and even not any damage caused. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264828847522?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=4mJOxorzS-6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

One of mine is exactly the same socket driven chain strap and will shift anything that you can get it around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unlike dedicated filter removal tools, these will remove any filter and can be used for lots of other things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TonyHSD your oil filter tool  is the wrong one its to large the item you shoud have is

a 45mm 14F-6S oil filter socket

Draper stock number 29130

Advantage over strap model you can use a torque wrench when refitting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TonyHSD oil filter removal tool is for paper element type with a big nut with locating lugs.

Anchormans tool is for can type oil filters.

7 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

TonyHSD oil filter removal tool is for paper element type with a big nut with locating lugs.

The one I linked to will remove all kinds. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Actually, the internal socket on that big alloy wrench is the right size.  It’s the casting that prevents it being used on the Yaris 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Thanks Don, I have the one as in your picture, I also have the one made of chain links which is a much stronger tool.

This is an actual photo from yaris cross hybrid? Because this looks like a dream for an oil change, great access, a horizontally mounted oil filter (easy to drain) big opening, and a rim around the filter. I have owned a 2006 honda civic and under the oil filter, there was a plastic cover that can be removed (well, It can be, but it was the whole underbody part, the oil nut has little windows in that underbody cover that was good but not under the oil filter and that was a pain in the a... Messy as hell.  I even put together something like a very shallow pan to prevent dropping that oil from the oil filter in that plastic cover.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Derek.w said:

TonyHSD your oil filter tool  is the wrong one its to large the item you shoud have is

Hi Derek, I've been on the Draper website & searched for the oil filter removal 29130, but the size stated is larger than 45mm. Any ideas why?

Thanks, Chris

oil filter socket.JPG

Edited by chris01942
Found the stock number

9 hours ago, Derek.w said:

That’s what I meant to. Although correct size it is indeed wrong tool and only fit some older Toyota models, 2.2 diesels for example where there is enough clearance around the filter when fitted to the engine.
But sellers still sell this as suitable for hybrids in which does not fit on either plastic housing with cartridge or metal can filters. The reason is that outer lip it’s too large and touching the engine block. Other than that firs on both cans style and cartridge but can’t fit when filter it’s on the car. Best to avoid draper. 

I have used this for years with screw/spin on filters. Infinitely variable for various diameters. Works for both removal and if that tiny extra is needed for tightening, e.g. slippy/weak hands.

It looks as though even these have been reduced to typical Chinese tat quality.

I'm surprised at the use of a screw/spin on filter. I thought the renewable paper cartridge type were more prevalent now to save the planet?:rolleyes:

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

filter3.jpg

filter4.jpg

6 hours ago, RobertR said:

This is an actual photo from yaris cross hybrid? Because this looks like a dream for an oil change, great access, a horizontally mounted oil filter (easy to drain) big opening, and a rim around the filter. I have owned a 2006 honda civic and under the oil filter, there was a plastic cover that can be removed (well, It can be, but it was the whole underbody part, the oil nut has little windows in that underbody cover that was good but not under the oil filter and that was a pain in the a... Messy as hell.  I even put together something like a very shallow pan to prevent dropping that oil from the oil filter in that plastic cover.)

That is actually my Mk4 Yaris but this photo is from the Cross and it’s the same large opening.  It is very easy to work through 👍

1BE3A7D7-CED0-45EC-BDB2-3975E91B36AA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nowt wrong with an ammer and screwdrivver

think your self lucky it's not a Subaru

ybnt40tycrj51.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The two posts above are the reason why I like Toyota and why I never bothered with Subaru, although I also like it.
If not easy it’s not for me 😂👌

• Like 2

I have used this oil filter tool twice on my Yaris cross and it works great. I use a large socket of the nut part rather then inserting the socket into the small square. Screenshot_20230203_172507_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.thumb.jpg.c72f4f42763ec4ce156a55099ed76115.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Nowt wrong with an ammer and screwdrivver

think your self lucky it's not a Subaru

ybnt40tycrj51.jpg

Yes flash I’ve had to use those a time or two in the past 🤭

• Like 3

Chris01942 just checked its 64.mm 14F-6S oil filter stock number 29130

Its only works on the paper element type oil filter NOT the can type oil filters.

• Thanks 1

The oil filter removal tool is also used on Yaris with a  1.33liter engine.

• Thanks 1