Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross AWD Oil Filter Removal Tool

chris01942

Years ago you use to hammer a screwdriver through the oil filter just to slacken it off then unscrew it by hand.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Chris01942 just checked its 64.mm 14F-6S oil filter stock number 29130

Its only works on the paper element type oil filter NOT the can type oil filters.

I'm sorry Derek but it definitely does because I’ve done it several times where space permits.  That 64mm filter fits loads of different Toyotas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And other Japanese cars like Mitsubishi, Mazda, Daihatsu etc, they all comes with 64mm 👍

I used the same tool on Mitsubishi Lancer and colt with petrol engines and on the Auris / Prius hybrids.
Here two examples that fit the filter when it’s not been installed onto the engine but can not fit when filter has been installed. The reason is the larger lip on outer diameter of the tool cap. That’s why I noted not to buy this darker or any other tool that has this large lip outside. 

B3493ABF-C737-4B85-BAE9-23948124ED7A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hear a tool that will give a problems on sidways fitting oil filters if space is tight.

Then I use a strap or chain type tool.IMG_0437.thumb.JPG.289dd4a78babb93528cf0eb15b889c3b.JPG

1 minute ago, Baytree said:

We're talking DIY on a Cross, already? Where are you guys, the Falklands?

Yeah, as I'm keeping this vehicle I'm changing the oil after running in 600-1k miles & then every 5k. Pains me to pay dealership servicing, but the 10k/12 months servicing  miles will be serviced at Toyota to maintain the warranties on the car & Battery. Paid £75 for oil & filter from Toyota parts department.

• Like 5

S

14 minutes ago, chris01942 said:

Yeah, as I'm keeping this vehicle I'm changing the oil after running in 600-1k miles & then every 5k. Pains me to pay dealership servicing, but the 10k/12 months servicing  miles will be serviced at Toyota to maintain the warranties on the car & battery. Paid £75 for oil & filter from Toyota parts department.

What will be your mileage per year? If within the 10k miles you will be perfectly fine just with one dealer visit each 12 months period. 👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

S

What will be your mileage per year? If within the 10k miles you will be perfectly fine just with one dealer visit each 12 months period. 👍

Hi Tony, probably be doing about 15-18k a year in this one until the Mrs gets bored of it then it'll be a hand me down for me. I know I'm over egging it a bit on the oil changes, but as I'll be doing the extra ones myself It's not to expensive. Coincidently, & I know It's a Ford, but a work colleague of the Mrs has a MK4 Focus diesel (cam chain) which he serviced as per the manufacture schedule (I think every 10k/12 months) & it's just cost him £2.5k as the chain snapped at approx. 100k miles. Needed a new head & a few other bits. Luckily it happened on trying to start the engine & didn't bend any valves or damage the pistons. I Also own a MK 3 Focus diesel (2012 with cam belt) which I've owned since new & done the oil changes every 5K miles. It's on approx. 150k miles & still sounds like new, but not for long as my son is learning to drive 😂   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, chris01942 said:

Hi Tony, probably be doing about 15-18k a year in this one until the Mrs gets bored of it then it'll be a hand me down for me. I know I'm over egging it a bit on the oil changes, but as I'll be doing the extra ones myself It's not to expensive. Coincidently, & I know It's a Ford, but a work colleague of the Mrs has a MK4 Focus diesel (cam chain) which he serviced as per the manufacture schedule (I think every 10k/12 months) & it's just cost him £2.5k as the chain snapped at approx. 100k miles. Needed a new head & a few other bits. Luckily it happened on trying to start the engine & didn't bend any valves or damage the pistons. I Also own a MK 3 Focus diesel (2012 with cam belt) which I've owned since new & done the oil changes every 5K miles. It's on approx. 150k miles & still sounds like new, but not for long as my son is learning to drive 😂   

Take no notice of the critics Chris, if you feel better with regular oil changes, you do it.  There’s nothing better for prolonged engine life and it reduces the likelihood of carbon deposits in nooks and crannies.   

• Like 6

On 2/3/2023 at 5:32 PM, Gerryof said:

I have used this oil filter tool twice on my Yaris cross and it works great. I use a large socket of the nut part rather then inserting the socket into the small square. Screenshot_20230203_172507_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.thumb.jpg.c72f4f42763ec4ce156a55099ed76115.jpg

So I've just done the oil & filter on the Yaris Cross using this filter removal tool, perfect fit. I didn't have the correct size socket drive to directly fit into the filter removal tool & adding a adapter left no room use the tool directly with a ratchet, so ended up using a spanner. Easy job! 

Screenshot_20230203_172507_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg.cea533d8a52bce263b02684aafe4160e.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, chris01942 said:

Well, that’s could be just a bad luck to have problems at 100k miles.
Cars usually need two important things to last long, sensible driving and proper maintenance on time. I have an Auris hybrid from 2010 that I try to do both things above and it’s only me ever worked on the car since was 5 years old. Currently at 236000 miles the car still covers in excess of 200 miles per day work travel and still on its original batteries, suspension, exhaust, almost everything really except wheel bearings, one set on the front and two sets on the rear, that’s all. Services as per the recommendation from the book,and in addition to that  ac regas and brake fluid change every 3-4 years, transmission fluid drain and refill at every 60k miles together with spark plugs , egr cleaning at 100k and brakes at that time because of rust issues more than real wear.
Another important thing perhaps N3 is not to bother with garages and uneducated mechanics and not to try to fix things that aren’t broken. Keep driving normally, service normally and if anything goes wrong, diagnose and replace with new oem or high quality aftermarket. That’s what I do. All original car and I love it, no need a new one. Mpg 54 currently and it will go 60-62 in the summer, efficiency remains unchanged. 👌

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Well, that’s could be just a bad luck to have problems at 100k miles.
Cars usually need two important things to last long, sensible driving and proper maintenance on time. I have an Auris hybrid from 2010 that I try to do both things above and it’s only me ever worked on the car since was 5 years old. Currently at 236000 miles the car still covers in excess of 200 miles per day work travel and still on its original batteries, suspension, exhaust, almost everything really except wheel bearings, one set on the front and two sets on the rear, that’s all. Services as per the recommendation from the book,and in addition to that  ac regas and brake fluid change every 3-4 years, transmission fluid drain and refill at every 60k miles together with spark plugs , egr cleaning at 100k and brakes at that time because of rust issues more than real wear.
Another important thing perhaps N3 is not to bother with garages and uneducated mechanics and not to try to fix things that aren’t broken. Keep driving normally, service normally and if anything goes wrong, diagnose and replace with new oem or high quality aftermarket. That’s what I do. All original car and I love it, no need a new one. Mpg 54 currently and it will go 60-62 in the summer, efficiency remains unchanged. 👌

Yeah, could have been unlucky with the timing chain. The garage did warn the guy that he needed to do more regular oil changes than the manufacture schedule. I remember back in 2000's the current iteration of the Corsa it had a service schedule of 20k miles a unique selling point, but had issues with the timing chains breaking, so Vauxhall revised the service schedule down to 10k miles. There's a N reg Corrola near where I live god knows how many miles are on that, but it seems to be still going strong. I do like seeing old, but not vintage cars, still going strong as daily drivers. Just goes to show the 13 year average life span of modern cars is down to what you say poor driving style & in proper maintenance .  

• Like 5

Just be glad it wasn't an early french chain cam - They actually had replacement schedules for those every 60k miles or something :laugh: Like, what's the point of having a chain if it needs replacing that often; May as well have used a normal belt!! :laugh: 

And don't get me started on wet belts...!

Things like that always make me thankful that Toyota uses their brains and designs things properly...!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links