Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPMS settings on Aygo X

aygowhereugo

So we made our first trip to the gas station to check the tyre pressure...

After feeding the machine a whole £2!!! found that all 4 tyres were at 32psi when the sticker says 37 for front and 35 for back.

The question therefore is, when does the TPMS actually alert you? I was somewhat relying on it to tell me that I needed to top up the tyre air.

Thanks!

Edited by aygowhereugo
missed out car model

It depends on what the TPMS range is set too, the Previous Aygo had a passive (indirect) TPMS what uses the ABS to detect a pressure change it's not as sophisticated as an active system, other models use a tpms sensor in each wheel (Active/Direct system) I'm not sure what the New cross uses

Surely it's got to be legally set for the country that the car is sold in.  To be honest, I have always wondered about this !! 

I buy a car with built in tpms, there should be NOTHING for me to check EVER, until of course it bleeps and warns me.

I'm old school and do check weekly on my other cars that don't have this function.

What is the bloody point of this technology if you still have to do old school maintenance ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any TPMS system that does not show actual pressures and is initialised at an incorrect pressure will only show a drop from that level.

If you or the dealer set the starting point correctly then you will get alerts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you'll also get alerted even if you do top them up to the correct pressure (personal experience)

If you set the tire pressures and drive the car for a few miles, it will usually self adjust eg. 32 psi all round,  direct tpms with have a range of +/- 2-5 psi, an indirect system will have a much wider range as it uses the wheel speed to detect if the wheel has a different circumference what could be as much as 10 psi difference

• Like 1

I've tried to reset the TPMS after the topup. Maybe the dealer set something incorrectly. I have ordered a pressure gauge and a portable compressor to see if I can trigger an alert by slowly letting the air out and then checking the pressure when the TPMS warning comes on.

• Like 2

Yep, my Aygo X tyres were all under inflated, so had to top them up, luckily I can do this at home with a foot pump.
I have to add, this “check” was after 3 months of ownership, so I’ve been driving around for quite a while with under inflated tyres, no warning. Actually the ride feels quite firm now which is disappointing for my aging skeleton!

The Yaris is the opposite, really sensitive to just a small drop in pressure, twice now when the temperature has dropped below zero I’ve had bongs, bings and flashing lights because of a 0.1 bar pressure difference.

• Like 3