Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warranty confirmation

Chrisnufc

Hi everyone I’m buying a 2021 Rav4 registered may 2021 before the 10 year relax was official… I’m hoping to get confirmed does this still get 10 years warrenty/100k miles as long as it’s serviced every year as per schedule? This was reason of going for this Toyota now I’m panicking incase it doesn’t apply to this car? 

it’s got less than 10k miles and had its first service, due next one may 2023 

A 2021 RAV4 will come with the balance of the three year manufacturers warranty - so that will cover you until 2024. After that Relax warranty kicks in for the next 7 years (up to 100,000 miles).

Panic not ... 😉

• Like 1

Any Toyota blow 10yo/100k gets gets 12 month warranty every service done at Toyota approved dealer. Even if a car is 9y11monts old it gets 12 monts warranty with the service. Thst was confirmed to me when I serviced my previous over 9yo RAV4 last year. 

Just to clarify, the whole way the Relax warranty has been marketed is extremely misleading; It's not a 10 year warranty, it's a 1 year warranty extension that you get for servicing the car with Toyota that can be 'renewed' every time the car's serviced until the car's 10 years old/100k miles.

It's not necessarily continuous.

For instance, you could use a back street garage for 6 years then use Toyota for the 7th and you'd get a 1 year extended warranty for servicing it with them. In year 8 you could go back to the cheap garage, and the warranty would expire, but then go back in year 9 and get another 1 year warranty.

So the short answer is yes the Relax warranty will apply - It applies to *any* Toyota that is serviced with a Toyota dealer as long as it's less than 10 years old, and when that service has been carried out the 1 year warranty starts.

An important point to note is the warranty starts *AFTER* the service has been *completed*, so if e.g. you'd been servicing the car at a back street garage and bring the car in with the engine not working properly, they would service it but the warranty won't have started so any problems they found won't be covered. Moreover, they'd note that problem existed before the warranty and would be excluded from it, as the warranty explicitly excludes existing problems.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Chrisnufc said:

Hi everyone I’m buying a 2021 Rav4 registered may 2021 before the 10 year relax was official…

The Relax scheme came into effect from 1st June 2021 - where the new car warranty became 3 years/60,000 miles and a service generated extended warranty became available up to the car's 10th birthday.

A UK car that was first registered in May 2021, will have the remainder of the previous 5 year/100,000 miles new car warranty. 

If it continues to be serviced by Toyota dealers after expiry of the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty it will be eligible for the Relax service generated extended warranty subject to not exceeding the 100,000 miles mileage limit. 

• Like 5

My May '21 PHEV came with a 5 year warranty as Frosty stated above..

• Like 1

Would love to here from anyone who’s successfully used the relax warranty or is it a marketing master stroke 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

Would love to here from anyone who’s successfully used the relax warranty or is it a marketing master stroke 

I figure it is a little bit ‘smoke and mirrors’ but better than nothing and gives the owner a good basis for negotiating a reduced cost even if the ‘warranty’ doesn’t cover the issue.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chrisnufc said:

This was reason of going for this Toyota now I’m panicking incase it doesn’t apply to this car? 

If the Relax warranty is why you're going for the car, then I'd suggest you read through the terms and conditions because it only covers a specific list of equipment and even then, it only covers manufacturing and assembly defects. 

That's fine when the vehicle is new or new-ish, but once it gets older most failures will be wear and tear.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty/toyota-warranty-ts-and-cs-june-2022.pdf

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

My May '21 PHEV came with a 5 year warranty as Frosty stated above..

So, to be clear, a May '21 car (like my October 2020 car) will have come with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty, followed by 2 years of extended warranty and is also covered by the Relax warranty for 1 year following each dealer service for up to 10 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AJones said:

If the Relax warranty is why you're going for the car, then I'd suggest you read through the terms and conditions because it only covers a specific list of equipment and even then, it only covers manufacturing and assembly defects. 

That's fine when the vehicle is new or new-ish, but once it gets older most failures will be wear and tear.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty/toyota-warranty-ts-and-cs-june-2022.pdf

I’m surprised by what it covers and I’m very cynical about the relax system 

• Like 1

The Relax warranty is an extended warranty, and, as with the majority of extended warranties, won't provide the same coverage as a new car warranty, and will have a specific list of what is included. 

Also, as with new car warranties, an extended warranty will cover mainly manufacturing defects rather than wear and tear items. The exceptions to this tend to be where the extended warranty covers MOT failures, and then only for specified items.

Provided you know the limitations, the Relax warranty may offer good value.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, philip42h said:

A 2021 RAV4 will come with the balance of the three year manufacturers warranty - so that will cover you until 2024. After that Relax warranty kicks in for the next 7 years (up to 100,000 miles).

Panic not ... 😉

The warranty in May 2021 was still 5 years (3+2) so he will have balance of that. I think the warranty was dropped to 3 years in June of 2021 at the same time that there was a price increase which pushed some models over the 40k threshold for Road Tax.

My car was registered in May 2021 and I have 5 years (balance of) and road tax was only £155 when I bought it.

ETA: Subject to servicing requirements the warranty is extendable to 10 years and 15 years on the traction Battery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

3 year manufacturer's warranty, followed by 2 years of extended warranty

Which is why I refer to the warranty as a 'new car warranty'. Toyota weren't alone in having a manufacturers warranty coupled with an extended warranty to form the new car warranty.

For example Volkswagen currently provide a 2 year manufacturers warranty and a Volkswagen UK 1 year/60,000 mile warranty, which makes up their 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty:

"That's why when you buy a new passenger car from an authorised Volkswagen retailer in the UK we'll provide a comprehensive warranty to cover you against defects and repairs for the first three years. This is made up of:

A 2-year unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty
    A further 1 year / 60,000 miles (whichever is soonest) warranty
This means you're covered for a total of 3 years or up to 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Exclusions apply throughout"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which is why I refer to the warranty as a 'new car warranty'. Toyota weren't alone in having a manufacturers warranty coupled with an extended warranty to form the new car warranty.

For example Volkswagen currently provide a 2 year manufacturers warranty and a Volkswagen UK 1 year/60,000 mile warranty, which makes up their 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty:

"That's why when you buy a new passenger car from an authorised Volkswagen retailer in the UK we'll provide a comprehensive warranty to cover you against defects and repairs for the first three years. This is made up of:

A 2-year unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty
    A further 1 year / 60,000 miles (whichever is soonest) warranty
This means you're covered for a total of 3 years or up to 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Exclusions apply throughout"

Citroen and others do this too. Do we know why they break it down this way?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sealiedog said:

Citroen and others do this too. Do we know why they break it down this way?

Market forces and to save money.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

It mostly covers stuff that shouldn't go wrong, and excludes a lot of stuff that is likely to eventually fail and especially wearing parts, but I think at least one person here has had something repaired under Relax (Although at first the dealer said it wasn't covered, as they apparently hadn't read the list!)

It's a nice sweetener to encourage people to service the car with dealers, but I wouldn't base any decisions on it. It's probably cheaper than servicing with a third party and buying an equivalent third-party warranty tho'.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AJones said:

My son has a 2014 1600cc Petrol Auris.  His Air Conditioning condensor failed last summer and the main dealer replaced it under the relax warranty.  I can understand if things like trailing arm bushes as an example (if our vehicles have them) are not covered as their wear could be affected by the way the vehicle is driven.  It would be interesting to know if something like a seized brake caliper would be covered as this is a common failure on old vehicles of all makes.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, John Allen said:

It would be interesting to know if something like a seized brake caliper would be covered as this is a common failure on old vehicles of all makes.

If you read the Ts&Cs you will find that Relax covers:

Brakes:
ABS Control Unit; ABS Components; Speed Sensors; Brake Booster; Brake Pipes; Disc Brake Calipers; Brake Discs; Brake Drums; Linkages; Limiter Valves; Brake Master Cylinder; Brake Fluid Reservoir; Wheel Cylinders; Vacuum Pump.

so that's "good news" ... the less good news is that the list of exclusions includes:

b) Damage or defects as a result of any wear and tear, excessive free play, noise and/or vibration;

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links