Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Message After Pressing Power Button Off

chris01942

Hi all, not sure if this is a fault/error as I've never owned a Toyota before. I have a Yaris Cross & after finishing every journey & powering off the car there is a message on the instrument cluster that reads "Attention: check rear passenger seats." Is this normal. There are no passengers or any items on the rear seats.

Thanks, Chris.

Hi Chris,

From a previous post by Peachysheff on this This is the rear seat reminder function it is set to "on" as default setting, it can be turned off in the multi function display. You can read about it in the emanual on page 137, hope this helps.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is normal. 
It happens whenever either of the rear doors are opened before you drive away. It doesn’t happen if they haven’t been opened before you set off. 
Its the cheapest way to warn of something or someone still in the back without putting sensors in the seats themselves.
As previously said I think it can be turned off in the settings. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On the many ford fiestas I’ve been given as a hire car, it always told me to check rear seats, I’m assuming it’s so you don’t leave the kids or granny sat there whilst you are indoors having your tea🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

21 hours ago, Ralph H said:

This is normal. 
It happens whenever either of the rear doors are opened before you drive away. It doesn’t happen if they haven’t been opened before you set off. 
Its the cheapest way to warn of something or someone still in the back without putting sensors in the seats themselves.
As previously said I think it can be turned off in the settings. 

Ah, now I get it.  Occasionally, I was getting the same messages as Chris.

• Like 4

On 2/4/2023 at 4:48 PM, Primus1 said:

On the many ford fiestas I’ve been given as a hire car, it always told me to check rear seats, I’m assuming it’s so you don’t leave the kids or granny sat there whilst you are indoors having your tea🤭

Jokes apart, probably if you have a passenger or a pet on back seat it's difficult to forget them there.  But is more easy to forget a bag left on rear footwell.

• Like 3

That’s what caused our issue.  Rather than opening the boot to accommodate a small bag, the item was usually placed in the rear footwell out of sight from prying eyes.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jimota said:

That’s what caused our issue.  Rather than opening the boot to accommodate a small bag, the item was usually placed in the rear footwell out of sight from prying eyes.

And the amount of times I’ve forgotten my butties…..

• Haha 4

I discovered this feature when I made my first test drive.  I put my purse on back seat, I made the test drive, parked the car and when I stopped I was surprised that the car rememberd me that I was forgetting my purse on back seat.  😁

I thought that there a weight sensor and it surprised me for the sensibility.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RickyC said:

I discovered this feature when I made my first test drive.  I put my purse on back seat, I made the test drive, parked the car and when I stopped I was surprised that the car rememberd me that I was forgetting my purse on back seat.  😁

I thought that there a weight sensor and it surprised me for the sensibility.  😉

It’s operated by opening a rear door. You don’t need anything on the seat.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, anchorman said:

It’s operated by opening a rear door. You don’t need anything on the seat.  

I know ( now ).  But when I saw the message for the first time I didn't know that it was simply triggered by the opening of a rear door insted of a weight sensor on back seat.

Probably in the rush of testing the car I could have forgotten my purse without the warning 😉

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links