Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

In Drive or Neutral.................

Lawnmowerman

With my previous RAV4 (Hybrid) I knew to leave the transmission in Drive whilst the engine was running in order to charge the Battery when at junctions, traffic lights etc.

However, I never do this with the PHEV as when stationary it is usually in EV mode. I just knock it into neutral rather than have components straining (very little I accept) against the foot brake. 

Any comments, reasons for leaving it in drive and holding it on the foot brake?

5 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

With my previous RAV4 (Hybrid) I knew to leave the transmission in Drive whilst the engine was running in order to charge the battery when at junctions, traffic lights etc.

However, I never do this with the PHEV as when stationary it is usually in EV mode. I just knock it into neutral rather than have components straining (very little I accept) against the foot brake. 

Any comments, reasons for leaving it in drive and holding it on the foot brake?

I don’t think holding the car with the foot brake will do the transmission any harm. Although other members will chime in and probably give a more expert opinion.

• Like 6

Assuming the RAV4 PHEV's hybrid system operates like my Mk4's, you should be okay - When the car is stationary on the foot brake it should cut power to the drive motors even in D. Check the power flow diagram to see if it does.

I know in D mode, if I use the EPB/handbrake, the car *does* strain against the brake (A stupid thing which I have raised with Toyota, but they say this is by design...), but it doesn't with the foot brake.

• Like 5

D and with foot brake on to make sure you have nicely illuminated brake lights to tell the fast and furious behind that you are stationary. N not necessarily and yes similar to hev when your Battery gets low the engine will need to start and recharge it but if that’s the case you will get message on the dashboard to remind you to shift to P or D. Either way it’s ok . I do D or P if I am about to wait longer 👍

• Like 7

If I'm stopped for a short while I leave the car in Drive with my foot on the brake. If I'm stopped for long enough to bother doing anything else I put it in Park. I can't see the point of Neutral  (as the driver).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In an ideal world, everyone would got to Neutral and put the handbrake on when stopped in traffic.

However, judging by the endless sea of brake lights, I was the only person in London who did this :laugh: 

I don't do it in the Mk4, as the car really does not lend itself to being in Neutral+EPB, as the EPB is very awkward to use, is slow and unresponsive, and if you keep a hybrid in Neutral too long it starts to complain and tells you to shift to D or P.

Now I'm usually using D+Brake Hold, or P if I'm stopped for a long time (Which has been an increasingly frequent occurrence lately, due to an explosion of road works and accidents!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

As Tony said D or P for me when stopped at railway crossing or waiting for a boat at a canal bridge usually go into park, that was the habit I got into when I had cars with a torque converter which tended to get a tad warm if left in D.

I can’t remember ever using N when I had autos with a torque converter.

• Like 5

Having had both torque converter and DSG boxes, I was in the habit of skipping into N when stopped, but have gotten out of that habit.

The Hold functionality is great, if you come to a complete stop it'll hold the brake on to stop you creeping or rolling back. Also seems to stop the engine. If it was running.

In this video the functionality is described and tested.

https://youtu.be/PTZlRpJi9Rg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

In an ideal world, everyone would got to Neutral and put the handbrake on when stopped in traffic.

However, judging by the endless sea of brake lights, I was the only person in London who did this :laugh: 

I don't do it in the Mk4, as the car really does not lend itself to being in Neutral+EPB, as the EPB is very awkward to use, is slow and unresponsive, and if you keep a hybrid in Neutral too long it starts to complain and tells you to shift to D or P.

Now I'm usually using D+Brake Hold, or P if I'm stopped for a long time (Which has been an increasingly frequent occurrence lately, due to an explosion of road works and accidents!)

Londoners would think you might be a time traveler or a learner driver in rare manual Yaris 😂

• Haha 4

I also use the brake hold function switching it on whenever I start the car. Just leave the car in Drive and use the foot brake to stop and hold and accelerator to release and go.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

If I'm stopped for a short while I leave the car in Drive with my foot on the brake. If I'm stopped for long enough to bother doing anything else I put it in Park. I can't see the point of Neutral  (as the driver).

Call me lazy but no detent shifting required to move from D to N and back again 😀. Only on level roads and when someone is now behind me (remove foot from brake).

• Like 3

Interesting to hear I could be in a minority of one 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

I always leave in D with foot lightly on brake just enough to hold her.

I like to be able to creep 😃 and also if you need to move quickly for some reason your ready, and as Tony said your brake lights remind the hard of thinking coming up behind you that you've stopped 😃

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ernieb said:

I also use the brake hold function switching it on whenever I start the car. Just leave the car in Drive and use the foot brake to stop and hold and accelerator to release and go.

Brake hold most of the time when at traffic lights as well and helps the MK4 Yaris pocket rocket get away faster not that it needs much extra help 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am sure Toyota recommend leaving it in drive? I do and use brake hold so I don’t dazzle the car behind. However with a conventional ICE automatic car it is very important to select neutral to reduce transmission wear. 

• Like 2

The "Driving tips" in the OM don't offer that much help:

Shift lever operation

Shift the shift lever to D when stopped at a traffic light, or driving in heavy traffic etc.

Shift the shift lever to P when parking.

When using the N position, there is no positive effect on fuel consumption. In the N position, the gasoline engine operates but electricity cannot be generated. Also, when using the air conditioning system, etc., the hybrid battery (traction battery) power is consumed.

Which tends to suggest leaving the car in Drive until you consider yourself to be Parked ... 😉

The caveat against using Neutral in a hybrid (HEV or PHEV) is that it allows to traction Battery to be drained but prevents the engine from recharging it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

I do and use brake hold so I don’t dazzle the car behind.

IIRC brake hold does operate the brake lights just the same as having your foot on the brake pedal

• Like 7

Dont leave it in neutral, it wont charge the Battery.  Use auto hold or park.

Never used N in any type of auto I've ever had.

It's really for when your car needs to be towed or otherwise moved while not under its own power.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It's really for when your car needs to be towed or otherwise moved while not under its own power.

Ie pushed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just leave it(HEV) in Radar cruise control, works fine for me. Always turn on Hold as well when starting. Last car was a Merc and it had the option in settings to have hold function on always.

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Dont leave it in neutral, it wont charge the battery.  Use auto hold or park.

... or, if you don't want to show brake lights, use the parking brake.

Brake Hold shows brake lights, as the name would suggest. Park (transmission) is for parking and locks the transmission with a pawl.

The parking brake will require you to press the brake pedal in order to release it so you will not be able to just drive off as you would with Brake Hold, but it's a small price to pay if you don't want to show brake lights for a long period.

Personally I just stop on the footbrake. If I am going to be stopped for a short period then that is sufficient, and anyway I like to be able to creep ultra-slowly. If stopped for longer, e.g. traffic lights, then I pop the Brake Hold on and remove again once moving. Only when stopped for much longer, e.g. level crossing, will I use the parking brake.

As mentioned, Neutral is only used when the car needs to be ON/READY but able to move other than under its own power, and PARK is only ever used when "Parked".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Dont leave it in neutral, it wont charge the battery.  Use auto hold or park.

Never used N in any type of auto I've ever had.

Not using N in a conventional auto (including DSG) when stationary will lead to premature wear of the gearbox. That is a fact and shows a lack of mechanical sympathy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Not using N in a conventional auto (including DSG) when stationary will lead to premature wear of the gearbox. That is a fact and shows a lack of mechanical sympathy. 

Hmm, perhaps if you're sat in D, holding it on the brake for 5 hours straight at the lights.

30 seconds waiting for the green will not cause any issues.

In either case, Park is what you want, not neutral.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Yeap, using N neutral when stationary is only advisable for cars with dry clutch system like Vw dsg for example or Aygo mmt, any other torque converter, cvt, bev cars, and all Toyota hybrids no need to select N or P. 
Toyota recommend keeping the car in D also as safety precaution in an event of rear end crash, keeping your foot on the brake will prevent the car to shoot forward too fast and will prevent any possible neck injuries to the passengers in your car. Also will save the transmission from potential breakdown of the parking pole mechanics, which can be costly repair on top of the rear of your car. 👍

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

As Tony said D or P for me when stopped at railway crossing or waiting for a boat at a canal bridge usually go into park, that was the habit I got into when I had cars with a torque converter which tended to get a tad warm if left in D.

I can’t remember ever using N when I had autos with a torque converter.

I think using P at a railway crossing is a really good idea. You really don’t want any software issue, mechanical failure or an inadvertent touch on the accelerator to start the car moving forwards..!!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links