Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota auris excel hybrid 2014 mirrors have just stopped retracting when car is locked

avensis-merv

Hi All

My Toyota Auris excel hybrid 2013 has just developed a fault where the mirrors are not folding in when the car is locked  , I did try the suggestion of one of the forum members where you turned the power off and instantly pushed the mirror retract and up button  but this does not seem to work 

Other forum members have had this fault and have had to take it into Dealership to have it sorted . Did they ever find out what the fault was

They want my car in for a couple of days at Marshalls at Ashford (Toyota Ashford dealership) for them to investigate

Regards

Merv

If the graphite brush worn out,  you can open the motor and replace the cap/ brush only.  I remember i did it to 3 door locks on Prius 06. $3 Matsubochi motor.

• Like 1

still awaiting a call from Marshalls of Ashford to book it in to sort it

Hi AisinW

mirrors as such are working ok .. its just the powering in function when locked that is not working..

I had to get into a near argument with "doctors receptionist " sorry meant to say service advisor about the fact it has that function on the excel  and its not working so its a fault and could they fix it .

with regards the motor brushes worn out , thanks for the tip

Merv

I'm a bit surprised that the button sequence in the OP's post didn't work for you.  I have tried this procedure and it did work, but it was a few years back, so I can't be sure it was exactly the same sequence.

Normally, the auto mirror motion you are wanting to do is programmable on the car using the car's diagnostic port and the Toyota dealer service computer (named Techstream, fwiw).  Perhaps you knew this?

If the car was going in for a service anyway, then the car will already be connected to this computer and the dealer can check the setting very easily, likely for free.

If you ask for them to do this configuration check in isolation, as you are, they may want to charge you for 1/2 an hour of workshop time - the minimum they can charge, I think.

It might be worth establishing how they are expecting to schedule this job:-

As a freebie check for a loyal customer, or at normal chargeable hourly rates?

This setting can be set or checked (provided it is a config. problem, not a hardware failure), with some easily available diag. devices which aren't too expensive, and are readliy available.

If you want to go down that option then there are plenty of people on here who can recommend what specific tools/gadgets they have bought and used to do this.

This could be a mirror control failure, but I don't remember ever seeing a hardware problem like this on an Auris before.

Hi Gerg

I will try this again just in case i had not got it quite right  .. from what i am gathering the car just needs to be unlocked to do this sequence . i will try this again and report back tomorrow . dealership did take car back into workshop (when i convinced them the was a fault) for about half an hour but it was near end of day and time was running out although i could see them hovering around the car with diagnostic machine and pressing various buttons , time ran out though and they said bring the car and leave it a couple of days so they could get to the bottom of it ... would i be right if its a hardware failure it would be covered by the relax warrenty ?

regards

Merv

12 hours ago, avensis-merv said:

i could see them hovering around the car with diagnostic machine and pressing various buttons

This does sound like this problem is more complicated than the normal 'just not configured correctly' mirror issue.

I would expect this problem to be covered under the Relax warranty, but I'm simply an Auris owner..., and I've heard some mildly conflicting reports as to what gets refused.

On our Auris Excel, my daughter didn't want the mirrors to close with the door-locking.  We set the car up for that with the alternate button sequence to the one you are trying (I tried your sequence afterwards, out of curiosity).

When the 12v Battery was disconnected briefly, for something completely unrelated, the mirrors reverted to their old folding function - the one that you want.

Disconnecting the 12v Battery does do 'a big reset' of all the computer modules on the car, but the radio and trip computer data will be lost, including the powertrain data stored for a valid Toyota Hybrid Health Check - which is only a problem if your annual service is due shortly. 

It might be worth the garage trying this?  Over time, It has fixed lots of strange electrical faults on lots of different cars!

• Like 1

Hi  Gerg

yes that thought did cross my mind but when it first went in with this problem i refrained from doing as you said so that any codes it might have created would not be lost. i did not see them removed Battery terminals so i guess that would be the first port of call when it goes in again. relax warranty for what its worth has only two months  left to run. If only one could get decent schematics for the electrics i would know where to start .... . do you know if when you remove Battery it looses the mapping (ecu wise) on the car ?? or is that all held onboard

Merv

Do the mirrors close if you press the button ?

Make sure the Left and Right button is in the Mid position

Handbrake on, in park, in ready mode press the mirror close button to fold the mirrors

turn the car off, get out and lock the car wait 30 seconds unlock the car

The mirror switch has its own logic it is a standalone device, yes I have diagrams it's a very simple circuit

can you pop out the mirror switch and take a pic of the mirror switch connector, as there are 2-3 types - is it the illuminated type ?

1 hour ago, avensis-merv said:

do you know if when you remove battery it looses the mapping (ecu wise) on the car ?? or is that all held onboard

The 'learned' parameters relating to tickover etc., will be lost.  But after a few minutes regular driving (learning!) then all is back to normal.  I've done this plenty of times some years back - I hardly noticed the initial difference in engine operation.

The hybrid system data is also lost, this becomes a problem as, during a hybrid health check, Toyota are wanting to see it was running correctly before it came in, so that they are not underwriting for a further 12 months an already-duff hybrid system.  If that specific data is not there for them to see, then you will be asked to come back in 500 miles time, when a your car's hybrid log will have enough info to show normal operation.

Regards.

• Like 1

Hi Flash22

Many thanks for the reply

yes the mirrors work ok but it seems the fold in when locking is not working

i have just a minute ago do as you said and its still the same .nothing has changed

i am pretty sure that the mirror switch on dashboard is not illuminated 

I have not pulled the mirror switch (not quite sure how one removes it )as did not want to mark it so they can say its been tampered with

at what point does the car lock tell the mirrors to shut ie how is it interfaced with the locking system

regards

Merv

hi Gerg

Thats not so bad then as i said to flash22 i will not pull Battery off and lose the codes until they have done their stuff .two months time will be a different matter as out of warranty

Merv

out of interest Flash22 how do you get that switch panel off without marking it as might just be brave and try to get it off and check

regards

Merv

Do the mirrors work as in up, down, left and right - fold and retracted manually by pressing the button

Pop the whole trim off and release the switch from behind

pic's for reference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164725678272

edit. later mk 2 trim https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115651825996

once i know the switch type, i can help with further diagnostics

do the mirrors fold if you turn the car off and hit the lock switch inside the car ? also does the interior light work as it should, can you please lock the car then try every door to make sure its locked ??

do mirrors fold in when you switch off engine and hit lock switch .........nope

interior lights work as they should

car locked all doors are locked when locked with key fob

however .. 2 weeks ago ish i noticed the drivers side overhead lamp not working also had a situation where could not put mirrors in or out whilst driving as though the button to fold mirrors in and out was not working but it works once the car went in to toyotas for the first time... will try to pluck up the courage to pull that panel either today or tomorrow..the auris is a 2013 plate not 2014 as stated .. excel version

Merv 

Check ECU-IG No.3, No.4 and ECU-B No.2 in the under bonnet fuse box

just checked that one 5A 12v both sides so fuse good

could not find ECU-1G No.3 and ECU-1G No.4 in front fuse box or is there another fuse box ?

ah i see its under neath by steering wheel .. will tackle that tonight or tomorrow 

thank you for your help btw

very much appreciated

Merv

13 plate can be a late mk1 or a Mk2 Auris

so fuse locations are different

ECU-IG No.2 and ACC

https://www.autogenius.info/toyota-auris-mk1-2006-2012-fuse-box-diagram/

Ecu-B No.2, ACC, ECU-IG No.3 and ECU-IG No.4 (ecu-ig fuses are located on the internal fuse box Passenger side footwell drop down the lower trim and look up)

https://www.autogenius.info/toyota-auris-hybrid-mk2-from-2013-fuse-box-diagram/

yes its a mk2 .. will look tomorrow . thanks for the location and fuse numbers

Merv