Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Failed Hybrid Health Check

Woofwoof

car is 11 months old just under 10k miles

took it to the dealer to service

iy failed it’s Battery health check cos it’s not charging the 12v Battery prowprly

they told me to make sure I drive long distance drives (my average drive is 5-10 mins) but I do 2 3-5 hour drives every 3-4 weeks

funny thing is I had just driven it 150 miles, just 2 days earlier.

they told me to come in again in 500 miles

anyone Else had this?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My Hybrid is one year old and it’s going for its first service on Wednesday morning. It has less than 5,000 miles on the clock all 95% all short runs and no runs longer than 50 miles round trip, so it will be interesting to see if I’ve got the same problem. I will let you know. I don’t expect any problems because the car I traded in was a Mark4 and had only 8,000 miles on it same kind of short runs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Woofwoof said:

car is 11 months old just under 10k miles

took it to the dealer to service

iy failed it’s battery health check cos it’s not charging the 12v battery prowprly

they told me to make sure I drive long distance drives (my average drive is 5-10 mins) but I do 2 3-5 hour drives every 3-4 weeks

funny thing is I had just driven it 150 miles, just 2 days earlier.

they told me to come in again in 500 miles

anyone Else had this?

Hi Woofwoof, there are some good posts on the 12v Battery problems if you do a search.

They should help your situation 👍

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Woofwoof said:

iy failed it’s battery health check cos it’s not charging the 12v battery prowprly

anyone Else had this?

Had your 12V Battery gone flat and needed charging or replacing recently?

I had an issue where the 12V Battery was replaced and shortly after the car couldn't complete the hybrid health check, it didn't fail the test as such, rather the test couldn't be completed and needed that 500 miles of driving. I assumed it was because the interruption of the 12V supply affected the data logs used by the test.

• Like 8

Never had an issue with either Battery

car gets used almost daily

twice wasn’t used for a week at a time when I went abroad

• Like 4

At least a half hour longer run out over 60mph once a week or at least once every two weeks seems to keep my 12v ok so far, bit of a pain if your not doing many miles a year or using it for work but i just take a longer  route back from work on mainly motorways, still getting just over 61mpg at the moment by doing that as well.

• Like 4

Actually for me the cold weather now saw my mpg dropping from mid 60s to low 40s and even 30s

same amount and style of driving

• Like 4

If it fails again it might be a sign they need to give you a new 12v Battery ...

Actually does anyone know if they test the health of the 12v as part of the HHC?

• Like 5

I believe the op has its 12v Battery discharged to low levels and soon may need to replace of the hybrid Battery health check failed. Best next steps here will be external Battery charger and reconditioning the battery asap. 
Driving the car at speeds doesn’t help. What helps maintain good battery charge on the 12v system is longer “ready” times. Each unlock, opening drivers door and closing, followed by locking the car equals starting the engine in standard ice car therefore frequent short journeys does not help but instead they kill the battery. Add the connected services plus any additional accessories like cameras etc and here we go. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I believe the op has its 12v battery discharged to low levels and soon may need to replace of the hybrid battery health check failed. Best next steps here will be external battery charger and reconditioning the battery asap. 
Driving the car at speeds doesn’t help. What helps maintain good battery charge on the 12v system is longer “ready” times. Each unlock, opening drivers door and closing, followed by locking the car equals starting the engine in standard ice car therefore frequent short journeys does not help but instead they kill the battery. Add the connected services plus any additional accessories like cameras etc and here we go. 

Would that be covered by manufacturer warranty?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Woofwoof said:

3 years bumper to bumper except brake pads and tires

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Woofwoof said:

I don’t know about that but here been mentioned that some dealers accept and replace batteries under warranty and some refuse, even Toyota  head office refuses if the car been driven very rarely. You can try your luck though 👍

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I don’t know about that but here been mentioned that some dealers accept and replace batteries under warranty and some refuse, even Toyota  head office refuses if the car been driven very rarely. You can try your luck though 👍

Car is 11 months old with 9800+ miles

I would not accept them tell me that the car is driven Infrequently

They can check the myt log

i keep a log of mileage through my fuel receipts

• Like 7

In the past, they always replace 12V for free regardless how much you drive.  It is included in 3 years warranty in all manufacturer. Some 12V battery  just failed from defect or our delinquent.

• Like 4