Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whee size? 15" didn't fit?

klash997

We have a "sports" wagon hybrid that came with 17". I didn't like the harsh ride and bought 2nd hand wheels that had previously been used on a auris. When I mounted, rears fitted perfect. But the fronts didn't fit? Wheels are 15" with ET39.  I remember Auris catalog stated that:

Consumption table
15": 3.5/100km
16": 3.6/100km
17": 4/100km

Am i turning senile?

Not necessarily.

Only the early, pre facelift, 'Icon' trim level had brakes small enough to take 15" wheels, they have visibly smaller calipers and rotors, (and of a different design, fwiw).  You'd have to be a big Auris fan to have spotted that though, you know - Auris posters on the walls, 'I ❤️ Auris' t-shirt etc. etc.

I speak as someone who is responsible for an Icon (on 15" wheels) and an Excel (which currently sits on non-standard 16" wheels, by choice).

With the Auris facelift in 2015, 16" wheels became the smallest available wheel size across the range, although the 16" wheel style on the later, post-FL, Icon, is identical to the 15" original ones, just to confuse.

If it's of any interest, the bigger rotors do allow a more finely controlled braking.  And that's not just on the controlled, 4-wheel drifts that the Auris hybrid is famous for...

Someone else might know better, of course, and the above may only apply to UK models too, not yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the informative reply Gerg! Actually my car is a sports touring hybrid from early 14 sold new in 🇸🇪 so LHD. I suppose it's the exclusive variant as it has a lot of equipment.  If anybody wants 15" on 85%life of Pirelli non-stud snow tyres are welcome 🙂  

You are most welcome.

The Excel mentioned above now sits on 16" wheels that were originally on an Auris of the previous generation (->2012).  So you could search for Auris Mk1 wheels if the condition and aesthetics of these don't cause offence.

The 15" do give the best ride, understandably, but the 17" -> 16" change is a worthwhile improvement, as forum member TonyHSD would agree (he's done the same change).

On the fuel consumption front, there is a strange tyre pressure option in the owners manual  - only offered the 15" wheels.  As well as the normal pressure, there is an 'ECO' pressure option, which from memory, is 4 psi higher.  When the 15" wheels were deleted, this ECO option became available on the 16" wheels, which it wasn't previously.

Have Toyota given this ECO tyre pressure option to the owner, to allow higher tyre pressures to be legitimately used in the official fuel economy tests, as a headline-grabbing figure?

The same pressure option exists on the Lexus CT200h (on a 195/65 x 15), but despite it's very obvious similarities in size, weight and powertrain, on that car the ECO pressure is 40 psi, if I remember correctly.  Sadly, Lexus wheels won't fit the Auris; the bolt pattern/size is different, as is a Prius.

But it's still a bit early, you might like to confirm that last bit for yourself!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fully agreed with Gerg. 
The Auris hybrids both generations uses two different types of braking components, Advics - Akebono and Bosch.
The first one has larger front brake discs callipers and does not allow fitting of smaller wheel sizes than 16” , these are most of the top spec variants of the model. Cars equipped with Bosch brake components comes with smaller callipers similar to Prius from that era and can accommodate 15” wheels. 
The 16” wheels I believe are the ultimate size for Auris/Corolla cars.
Here there are two websites that can help narrow exact specs for wheels and tyres swapping.

https://www.wheel-size.com
https://www.willtheyfit.com

Here my wheels swaps 

image.thumb.jpeg.f3fd3200daafc5d2fc87d243ec4184a8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c148eb36bb4ee342d0603f6c93039933.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d88a904b5e1187d2624075cddc5206b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e59cb2ffd89c5f40eb110d4c3e77d06b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6f1132608f26a409fc294fa6cb588b11.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1fdea97826eb7ed74c6a2de43b664257.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4cff198b3d89a61dd1553283aaa2edac.jpeg

You can check Toyota official store on eBay uk for original Toyota wheels or your local dealer. Sometimes they offer competitive prices. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16" is the minimal size for the front wheel. You only can fit 15" wheel on the rear.  I used Mazda 16" wheel for a spare tire and it fit perfectly even with the original Toyota lugnuts. The TPMS is not cheap and buy used wheel set for about €200 is probably the most cost effective. Mounting and balance 16" wheel alone cost €60. 

• Like 2

Many humble thanks to you guys!

I'm searching locally for 16", i'd go with at least 37 psi maby even try 40psi out.  🙂

Also I suppose I can't have a long face about it, at least we got hi-grade akebonos up front 🙂

• Like 2

I went a couple of years with my 17" tyres inflated at 37 psi, the problem was a little harsh ride and tires were worn in the middle, then I kept them inflated at 34 psi, ride is more comfy and worn is uniform. 

I tried once 40 psi, very harsh ride and I could hear any suspension part ... 

• Like 4

As a general rule, the lower the profile the lower the PSI - You can get away with 35-40 on e.g. 65+ ratio tyres, but at the 45 and lower ratio of low profile tyres you'd have to run much lower pressures!

• Like 2

Locally we go by this logic:
15" 2.5 bar
16" 2.6
17" 2.7 and so fourth. 

Thats true Cyker, good input 🙂

Tavy, I'm gonna try lowering the pressure as I have 2.7 bar in them / 39.2 psi. 

I think the rule about the tyre wall and pressure might not always be as described., vehicle’s weight and speeds also comes into play.
On my previous 4x4 the tyres had a huge walls 65 and the car only had low pressure recommended like 2.0 bar and 1.8 for off road shown on the door labels 

On my current Auris sizes 17” 2.3bar front and 2.2bar rear and I keep just about same with my new smaller size 16” , just a bit on top. There is no need of these high pressures in car tyres, over inflated tyres loose grip a lot, loose stability braking and acceleration and become noisy and bad for suspension and for your back too. Keeping correct pressure as manufacturer recommended is the best by all means. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, klash997 said:

Locally we go by this logic:
15" 2.5 bar
16" 2.6
17" 2.7 and so fourth. 

Thats true Cyker, good input 🙂

Tavy, I'm gonna try lowering the pressure as I have 2.7 bar in them / 39.2 psi. 

Hi, try 34... 35psi,you and your car will be happy. 👍

Totally agree with Tony, in addition I noticed that it's better to use same tyre pressure regardless the rims size, because the tyre pressure is correlated with vehicle weight.

• Like 2

I found 2.4 bar is the sweet spot as recommended by Toyota depends on how much load/people in the car. We can pump up to 2.6 bar with 4 adults and full luggage loads. Above 2.6, it becomes very rough on most bumps, better handling in mountainous smooth roads but will jar your balls on any rough surface. 

The TPMS in Auris 2 is not cheap but last 8y or more. I wished Toyota just used ABS wheel rotation sensors instead of separate expensive sensors for appliances like Corolla or Camry.  

• Like 4

The difference is like day and night on 2.4 bar. Its not perfect, pretty close though. I still reckon 16" will be the best for US in regards of comfort/economy

• Like 1