Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what coolant??

RHYSF00

So I decided this year to actually give my car a cooling system clean and possible new rad. however i want to keep to Toyota coolant. now I don't know what coolant i need. the manual says Toyota super long life coolant which is 50% antifreeze and 50% deionised water. 
Toyota store has a red and pink. which would be suitable for my 2004 little corolla??

Toyota started using Super Long Life (pink) from 2002  - my 2006 Corolla used pink.

After the first coolant change Super Long Life pink coolant should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first) and the Long Life red coolant every 2 years or 30,000 miles.

Difference in price (pre mixed 5 litres) about £16 at Toyota's official store on eBay - pink £45.99, red £29.99. Both the same price on Amazon - £44.99.

• Like 4

It is indeed surprising for me how expensive toyota coolant is. It cost 2x more in europe than USA or Asia.  Asian cars use phosphate HOAT instead of silicates HOAT like in VW, Opel, Benz, BMW, or Volvo. 

In principle they are all great. European cars does not use phospate because most western europe has hard water issues. Some people use G12+ or G13 coolant on Asian cars without any issue either. 

I still stick with super long life pink colours although some are blue  but i want OEM color.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota started using Super Long Life (pink) from 2002  - my 2006 Corolla used pink.

After the first coolant change Super Long Life pink coolant should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first) and the Long Life red coolant every 2 years or 30,000 miles.

Difference in price (pre mixed 5 litres) about £16 at Toyota's official store on eBay - pink £45.99, red £29.99. Both the same price on Amazon - £44.99.

Doesn't fully help me but more understanding about them both. 

5 minutes ago, RHYSF00 said:

Doesn't fully help me but more understanding about them both. 

Almost certainly yours will have the pink coolant as from 2002 (when the pink coolant was introduced) this generation of Corolla hatchbacks for the European market were mostly built in the UK.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Almost certainly yours will have the pink coolant as from 2002 (when the pink coolant was introduced) this generation of Corolla hatchbacks for the European market were mostly built in the UK.

Mine got to be the expesive kind lol. 

Will it be safe for aftermarket? 

Should be an OAT coolant - Organic Acid (Additive) Technology.

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Should be an OAT coolant - Organic Acid (Additive) Technology.

Ok. Any brand you recommend 

42 minutes ago, RHYSF00 said:

Ok. Any brand you recommend 

I cannot find cheaper aftermarket Toyota Super Longlife Pink color in europe. Aisin brand sell it in Amazon and other seller and it is fully compatible but only blue color available. As long as it is said "phospated Hybrid organic acid technology" or HOAT, they are compatible. 

Pentosin, Zerex are the only brands I know sell Toyota SLLC pink. 

It looks like no significantly cheaper option to match the spec of Toyota long life coolant. If me I will stick to it. There are two important fluids in the car that it is best to remain original and one of them is the coolant, and the other is the automatic transmission fluid. It’s not cheap £46 for 5ltr ready mix but at least it’s the right stuff. 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223063212077?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nh5IESpNTTu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or of febi G12 is ok then there is 5ltr for £36 https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-206929-febi-coolant-antifreeze-g12-pink.aspx?VariantID=327871

or German equivalent for £16 from Amazon uk Protecton 1890910 Coolant G12/G12+ 5-Litre Ready to use, Pink https://amzn.eu/d/dEt3Pta

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For hybrid and regular torque converter, Toyota uses WS.  In Europe Toyota WS fluid is relatively cheap compared to compatible after market.  Toyota WS is similar to Aisin Warner JWS3324, Ford Mercon SP/LV, GM Dextron VI, Honda ATF DW1, Hyundai/Kia SPIV, Mazda FZ, Nissan Matic S  that Ravenol, Amsoil, Aisin AT6+, etc. also sell. 
For Manual Transmission, you must check which type of Gear fluid you use. Make sure which GL type you need. GL3, 4, or 5 and I believe only GL3 and GL4 are safe for yellow metals. Mobil 1, Amsoil, Valvoline, Shell, Ravenol, Castrol have those fluid in relatively good price/performance. Base oil from Ravenol and Amsoil are usually have higher PAO base base stock. 

GL3/4 for Transmission and GL5 for transfer case (only for AWD or rear wheel drive). 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, RHYSF00 said:

Dont sure manual transmission fluid needed to keep the same

Use normal 75w90 GL4 oil - from Toyota or any other brand. 

• Like 1

You can enter your reg number here to see what Comma say is right for your car,  your have not mentioned what it is petrol, diesel  1.4, 1.6 .1,8 .2.0 ltr , auto / manual ?

https://www.commaoil.com/products

It probalby will  show Xstream G30 which is around £30 for 5 ltrs in many places, its OAT  as well,  we have used it for years.

If changing your radiator you really should be changing the Thermostat.

When changing the coolant, do drain it then fill with  plain water and do a flush to remove as much as possible of the old coolant, you will only be able to remove about 5 lts of the 6+ in there , so a 5 ltr bottle will do the job and still give proper protection.

You want to get a copy of the Haynes workshop manual for the 2002-2006 Corolla, plenty of good info on how to do such jobs.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

You can enter your reg number here to see what Comma say is right for your car,  your have not mentioned what it is petrol, diesel  1.4, 1.6 .1,8 .2.0 ltr , auto / manual ?

https://www.commaoil.com/products

It probalby will  show Xstream G30 which is around £30 for 5 ltrs in many places, its OAT  as well,  we have used it for years.

If changing your radiator you really should be changing the Thermostat.

When changing the coolant, do drain it then fill with  plain water and do a flush to remove as much as possible of the old coolant, you will only be able to remove about 5 lts of the 6+ in there , so a 5 ltr bottle will do the job and still give proper protection.

You want to get a copy of the Haynes workshop manual for the 2002-2006 Corolla, plenty of good info on how to do such jobs.

Got the haynes book. Very useful 👌.

I use a local independent parts store and it is g30. However exopro comes up now since they updated. My car details as there was a fault on there end. I probably would use exopro as i like there oil. I dont know where the thermo is extractly i know where it roughly is but i cant see it annoyingly. I may do the hoses aswell when i do rad change. 

You also can get the actual dealership Toyota service handbook on some Toyota. I repair my AC evaporator on Prius 2 before. It was 14 hours job but doable with simple vacuum pump, gauge and hoses, and R134A refrigerant that easily purchased outside Europe.

https://www.workshopservicemanual.com/m0072236-toyota-corolla-e140-2006-2013.html

3 hours ago, AisinW said:

You also can get the actual dealership Toyota service handbook on some Toyota. I repair my AC evaporator on Prius 2 before. It was 14 hours job but doable with simple vacuum pump, gauge and hoses, and R134A refrigerant that easily purchased outside Europe.

https://www.workshopservicemanual.com/m0072236-toyota-corolla-e140-2006-2013.html

they dont do the mk9

2 hours ago, RHYSF00 said:

they dont do the mk9

It is unfortunate. But the basic design on Engine, alternator, AC system, transmission do not change much though.  Especially the manual transmission, it does not change since 20 years ago.  I often use Prius 3 for my Auris hybrid service.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AisinW said:

It is unfortunate. But the basic design on Engine, alternator, AC system, transmission do not change much though.  Especially the manual transmission, it does not change since 20 years ago.  I often use Prius 3 for my Auris hybrid service.   

I have a proper look tomorrow as wont have time today