Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

automatic headlight sensitivity adjustment

STEVEBE

Got my 'no extra frills' Excel hatchback in November 22. It has the Toyota connect services which works well. Recently, I had a car stop in front of me on a tree lined road in full Sun so dark/light etc, it seemed my headlights were turning off an on making it look as if I had a problem. I looked through all the adjustments listed in the manual which stated that it was user/dealer adjustable by 4/5 levels of sensitivity. It would seem so far that models with the 9inch info system can adjust but the Excel with 10inch cannot. I tried my dealer and was sent Corolla instructions so I asked Toyota customer services who directed me to the dealer so I do wonder are they able to answer detailed operational questions on their products. I do think its a tall order for dealers to know all the ins and outs of these quite complex machines so I wonder if anyone has had cause to try this adjustment which seems to be unique to the Excel unless there is a mystery selection somewhere.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, STEVEBE said:

Got my 'no extra frills' Excel hatchback in November 22. It has the Toyota connect services which works well. Recently, I had a car stop in front of me on a tree lined road in full Sun so dark/light etc, it seemed my headlights were turning off an on making it look as if I had a problem. I looked through all the adjustments listed in the manual which stated that it was user/dealer adjustable by 4/5 levels of sensitivity. It would seem so far that models with the 9inch info system can adjust but the Excel with 10inch cannot. I tried my dealer and was sent Corolla instructions so I asked Toyota customer services who directed me to the dealer so I do wonder are they able to answer detailed operational questions on their products. I do think its a tall order for dealers to know all the ins and outs of these quite complex machines so I wonder if anyone has had cause to try this adjustment which seems to be unique to the Excel unless there is a mystery selection somewhere.

I’ve mentioned it to my dealership and he agreed with me that it’s too sensitive and that they couldn’t do anything about. His advice was just off the headlights at the stalk and continue driving with the parking lights, and said that’s what he does on his. Of course there’s another option and you can disable it completely with the weirdly placed switch way down low on the right hand side. 

AN Answer - Just had a confirmation from of my original findings by good work by Vantage York who compared with their own Yaris of the same spec. So it would seem models below the Excel can alter sensitivity by onboard software selections. Odd that Toyota would omit this quite important adjustment on the top model - perhaps they might pick up on this as a potential code re-write as in certain situations the lights coming on and off could cause issues with other drivers as it did with me. 

Stevebe, just going slightly off topic, how do you find vantage York, are they ok, I’ve ordered my cross from them, and have dealt with them before, albeit a good few years ago, and have heard mixed stories about them, 

Toyota is oversensitive in this day/night switching...It's frankly pretty stupid when all my car just switches into the night mode for a second because I'm passing the 5m long tunnel. Sometimes even flick when passing a very bright street lamp at night(or very close to dawn time. In others cars there is some timer to solve this. Not a big issue but could be done better.

2 hours ago, RobertR said:

Toyota is oversensitive in this day/night switching...It's frankly pretty stupid when all my car just switches into the night mode for a second because I'm passing the 5m long tunnel. Sometimes even flick when passing a very bright street lamp at night(or very close to dawn time. In others cars there is some timer to solve this. Not a big issue but could be done better.

Not just Toyota, I pass under several railway bridges on the way to work and all the new cars “flash” their lights.  In fact it’s a good thing because in some light you can’t see approaching cars.  The auto lights on my Mk4 Yaris were a bit laggy and tended to dazzle quite often but they work much better on this Cross.  

• 2 weeks later...

If you have Touch 2 you can change it in Vehicle Settings. YC had this problem until I changed the setting.

Is this not the case for the new system? 😳

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links