Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris paint defects - history repeats

Cs233

Some will know on the forum that I had to reject a new Yaris last year that arrived with paint defects. Toyota built a replacement in the now discontinued colour for the model of Scorched Orange and I have inspected the new unregistered car at the dealership today. This vehicle has some paint defects also as well as a badly fitted rear bumper. The pictures and a single video file show the quality output of the factory.

IMG20230206132001.jpg

IMG20230206131649.jpg

IMG20230206132325.jpg

IMG20230206132513.jpg

IMG20230206132329.jpg

IMG20230206132757.jpg

• Sad 5

I tend to think that’s all damage rather than defect.  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I tend to think that’s all damage rather than defect.  

Think it is a mixture of both one of the side skirts not fitted correctly no evidence of impact. The rear bumper shows no evidence of impact and looks like it has not been fitted correctly although difficult to be certain of course. Panel gaps around the bonnet also uneven and clearly not fitted correctly...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cs233 said:

Think it is a mixture of both one of the side skirts not fitted correctly no evidence of impact. The rear bumper shows no evidence of impact and looks like it has not been fitted correctly although difficult to be certain of course. Panel gaps around the bonnet also uneven and clearly not fitted correctly...

I think as far as panel gaps are concerned, I accept they should be right in this day and age but in reality you’re expecting too much.  That rear bumper shouldn’t drop below the body line so it looks like it’s broken.  Is this the same dealer you used last time?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I think as far as panel gaps are concerned, I accept they should be right in this day and age but in reality you’re expecting too much.  That rear bumper shouldn’t drop below the body line so it looks like it’s broken.  Is this the same dealer you used last time?

Not sure about expecting too much, a new car should be a new car, in 2022 we received as a household a new Lexus and there was not a mark on it or indeed a single issue with the vehicle. This is the same dealer and it was a rebuild of the previous rejected car. Not got much confidence in the build of the current Yaris...

• Like 4

Looks like this is a dealer/bodyshop rebuild Carl, are you sure this came straight from Toyota ?

A bit of a hash bash repair 😕

• Like 6

Ps I'm sure if you accepted it and traded in back in later they would pick up the faults and reduce your trade in value accordingly ☹️

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

are you sure this came straight from Toyota ?

A bit of a hash bash repair 😕

Indeed tracked it from the factory in France via Derbyshire

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately these cars are thrown together nowadays, have a fraught journey via rail and then handled by delivery person, cleaners, technicians, salespeople etc.

Plenty of opportunities for damage and lack of care.

My Yaris had rust imbedded in the front bumper from the rail journey and the paint work was like a piece of sand paper until i used a clay bar on it and polished it to death.

I had dirt in the bonnet, lower NSR Sill and NSR quarter, a marked rear spoiler and the lower sill cover wasn’t fitted properly. 
Toyota dealer totally uninterested, I managed to squeeze the money from them for paint protection that they apparently gave me for free (until I realised they had hidden it in the costs by fiddling the figures).

That all immediately took the shine off it, I don’t bother washing it, I check the tyre pressures and vacuum it out occasionally but have little interest in it. I kept it because it was 0% finance and got a good discount at the time of order, plus a replacement wouldn’t of been same spec as was discontinued model.

I have to say I also had a new metallic red Vauxhall Corsa EV (now long sold thankfully), the red colour was a nightmare, showed every mark that I ended up petrified to use the flipping thing. That car was a replacement and the only one they had to give me so the colour was a compromise. I hated it in the end, so sold it. 

You have two choices I suppose, money back and walk away or let them “repair” it and take it warts and all. I’m guessing like me, in that colour that would eat you alive, so in your position I’d take the money and leave it.

• Like 7

Whether it’s a factory fault or transit damage, it’s completely unacceptable to hand this over to a customer  as a finished product.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jimota said:

Whether it’s a factory fault or transit damage, it’s completely unacceptable to hand this over to a customer  as a finished product.

Agreed, I wouldn’t buy that car even if it was a used one 10 years old Yaris, honestly. 

• Like 8

This car absolutely will not be accepted it is not of merchantable quality for a new vehicle. Quite unexpected that this is the second vehicle that has had to be rejected. Certainly damaged the reputation of these vehicles and the brand 

• Like 7

On 2/6/2023 at 7:41 PM, Cs233 said:

Some will know on the forum that I had to reject a new Yaris last year that arrived with paint defects. Toyota built a replacement in the now discontinued colour for the model of Scorched Orange and I have inspected the new unregistered car at the dealership today. This vehicle has some paint defects also as well as a badly fitted rear bumper. The pictures and a single video file show the quality output of the factory.

IMG20230206132001.jpg

IMG20230206131649.jpg

IMG20230206132325.jpg

IMG20230206132513.jpg

IMG20230206132329.jpg

IMG20230206132757.jpg

Lovely colour but too many defects would reject it and personally either go for a nearly new or second hand or a even a different make, the wait times are a joke in themselves never mind the defects.

• Like 6

It's this sort of thing that doesn't do the french factory's reputation any favours. From the factory tour videos, there are people there whose literal job is to go over the paintwork to check it for defects before it gets shipped out so either someone is slacking bigtime or this happened afterwards, which suggests the parts are not being cleaned properly before painting or something is contaminating it.

Or is this a result of the change in policy to allow some minor cosmetic defects through to reduce waste...?

• Like 5

On 2/9/2023 at 6:23 PM, Cyker said:

It's this sort of thing that doesn't do the french factory's reputation any favours. From the factory tour videos, there are people there whose literal job is to go over the paintwork to check it for defects before it gets shipped out so either someone is slacking bigtime or this happened afterwards, which suggests the parts are not being cleaned properly before painting or something is contaminating it.

Or is this a result of the change in policy to allow some minor cosmetic defects through to reduce waste...?

Was thinking is if the French Connection? not as in the film 😂

• Haha 4

On 2/9/2023 at 6:23 PM, Cyker said:

It's this sort of thing that doesn't do the french factory's reputation any favours.

.... or it could have been built in the Czech Republic.

• Like 4

That's true... it's quite tricky to call as I think they'd just started making them in the CZ plant around that time?? When did they start shipping out Mk4s from the CZ plant?? 

I'm still banking on it being french tho'; The Czechs have a less lackadaisical reputation for their work ethic :laugh: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Every new car that I have purchased over the years has been handed over to me by the dealerships in a pristine condition.  It was obvious that the dealerships, and there have been plenty from all different marques, took a pride in the product and genuinely tried to give the best customer care experience.

The photos that Carl has sent, tells me that the dealership have a couldn’t care less attitude and should be avoided at all costs.  It makes me wonder what has been missed in the Pre Delivery Inspection or whether indeed an actual PDI was carried out.

Takes me back to the old dodgy second hand car dealers who parked the for sale vehicles in a tight dark corner close to others in the hope that the potential customer wouldn’t spot any flaws or other unacceptable damage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think they'd just started making them in the CZ plant around that time??

November 21 -

https://www.toyota-europe.com/news/2021/toyota-starts-yaris-production-in-czech-republic

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I was the rep a phone call and  excuse to give the workshop time to fix it 

But then sales maybe dont know of its true condition as it was caused after their inspection.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

If I was the rep a phone call and  excuse to give the workshop time to fix it 

But then sales maybe dont know of its true condition as it was caused after their inspection.

If a new car was presented to me in that condition I would do my nut, take the dealership manager round the car show him the faults and him/her to keep it, and goodbye!!!

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

If a new car was presented to me in that condition I would do my nut, take the dealership manager round the car show him the faults and him/her to keep it, and goodbye!!!

Same 👍 

I don’t think this car was like that out of factory, more likely damaged while in transit and poorly repaired. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:49 AM, Cs233 said:

Certainly damaged the reputation of these vehicles and the brand 

To those who never stop to think perhaps but I suspect the dealership principal let alone the manufacturer would be shocked to see this.

Someone mentioned Lexus above as an example of a car delivered in prestine condition. I can assure you there will be times when Lexus's arrive at the dealership in a similar state - too much can happen between rolling off the factory floor and delivery day.

In my eyes it's the dealership at fault. ( the people you have a contract with ). If flawed,, the car should have been returned to factory condition when it was handed over. Not only would I tell them where to shove their car, I'd be complaining to the UK importer ( Toyota GB ? ) to the dealer pricipal and I'd also have taken photos informing the salesperson I'm writing an article for the local press.

I've been buying new cars from various manufacturers for near 40 years now and whilst there has been the odd hiccup with something not working ( cars are complicated - they can fail ), I've never been presented with such an obvious problem.

If this car was purchased at a main dealership, it's almost certain the dealer principal would be having words ( typically refered to as re-training ) with who ever prepared the car but wouldn't expect the salesperson to be in their job much longer.

If you owned a dealership would you want to employ someone who hands over your  products in that condition?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1