Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris paint defects - history repeats

Cs233

I used to work at a franchise car dealership every car was inspected when it was taken off the transporter and all defects were noted and repairs paid for, with the amount of overgrown trees on the way to the garage from the port it was inevitable some would have damage.

• Like 6

That is poor quality, I expect that with current supply issues and long lead times standards are slipping or being stretched, probably amoung all manufacturers. They probably know that even if a car is rejected by one customer someone else with lower standards will accept it, good on you for standing your ground. Also the sales people are probably more interested how your new car will affect their monthly bonus than if you are happy and completely satisfied, that my experience of a few new car sales.

Our last new car was a Czech built 107 and happy to report that even for what was a cheaply made car that cars red paint and panel fit was spot on thankfully. The final week of that sales process was so rushed It felt as though we were doing the dealership a favour in buying and collecting the car!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Puglet said:

That is poor quality, I expect that with current supply issues and long lead times standards are slipping or being stretched, probably amoung all manufacturers. They probably know that even if a car is rejected by one customer someone else with lower standards will accept it, good on you for standing your ground. Also the sales people are probably more interested how your new car will affect their monthly bonus than if you are happy and completely satisfied, that my experience of a few new car sales.

Our last new car was a Czech built 107 and happy to report that even for what was a cheaply made car that cars red paint and panel fit was spot on thankfully. The final week of that sales process was so rushed It felt as though we were doing the dealership a favour in buying and collecting the car!

Fully agreed with that, and on top of everything the prices are the highest ever. I don’t see car sales will be blooming in the next two years, so the trade might returns a bit to be more custumer focused. 👍

• Like 4

On 2/9/2023 at 12:49 AM, Cs233 said:

Certainly damaged the reputation of these vehicles and the brand 

Only to you.  Mine didn’t have a mark on it and I’m satisfied with the panel gaps.  There are other things that I find disappointing but I don’t impose my opinion on anyone else.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, Puglet said:

I doubt standards are slipping.  The OP has got an mishandled car, nothing else.  It didn’t leave the factory like that.  Im not keen on the overuse of the tabloid term “shocked” either.  Dealer staff might be disappointed but I suspect they’ll be far from surprised let alone shocked.  Let’s keep things in perspective.  Shocked is for a nut case running round with an automatic machine gun not a new car with a few knocks.  

• Like 3

On 2/14/2023 at 7:29 AM, anchorman said:

I doubt standards are slipping.  The OP has got an mishandled car, nothing else.  It didn’t leave the factory like that.  Im not keen on the overuse of the tabloid term “shocked” either.  Dealer staff might be disappointed

The first vehicle had paint defects which were foreign substances or dirt under the paint so it did leave the factory in inappropriate condition. We have to remember that the dealership offered the first and second defective vehicle to me and it was not rejected by them or they did not arrange with Toyota for a resolution it has been presented to the consumer.

• Like 4

That's been damaged post-factory. I just can't believe that would be allowed.

Is the VIN the same? Did they repair the first or is it genuinely a different vehicle?

I'd also question the dealer. They seem shady, too.

I wouldn't say this is representative of the brand at all though. Just go look at new cars in the showroom and they're all pristine.

• Like 4

It’s more of a bad dealer experience than the car manufacturer fault. New cars travel long way from factory to the showroom often by train, boat, lorry and driven by couple of employees before we even can see them. These days poor standards in pretty much everything and new car sales are not exception.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Cs233 said:

The first vehicle had paint defects which were foreign substances or dirt under the paint so it did leave the factory in inappropriate condition. We have to remember that the dealership offered the first and second defective vehicle to me and it was not rejected by them or they did not arrange with Toyota for a resolution it has been presented to the consumer.

I can assure you that cars get painted after leaving the factory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

I can assure you that cars get painted after leaving the factory.

When we collected our present i20, there was another I20 in the dealer's rear parking area in the same colour as ours, and from the same delivery, that was awaiting collection for scratches to be repaired. So regardless of manufacturer, cars do get damaged between factory and the dealer. Some rectification is inevitable. 

As regards shipping cars by train, paintwork could get damaged by airborne debris from rolling stock braking systems, and presumably this is still a risk whether cars are transported in covered wagons or not.

Best-car-on-train-scaled.jpg

• Like 5

I am pleased to say that the issue is now resolved. Toyota have agreed to provide a touch up paint kit and additionally a bumper remounting tool. I agreed to meet them half way and provide the labour to use these kindly supplied items. If there is any trouble in refinishing the vehicle to new standards using these items my friend Dave down the pub has agreed to help. Very grateful to Toyota for successfully resolving this challenging conundrum... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm surprised that you have accepted what is essentially a fob off Carl. Why have you agreed to this when it should be them that carry out the remedial works?

Grateful? Successfully? It's costing them next to nothing. A bumper mounting tool, what the heck is that? I'd be telling them to do one! Sorry.

1 hour ago, olonas said:

I'm surprised that you have accepted what is essentially a fob off Carl. Why have you agreed to this when it should be them that carry out the remedial works?

Grateful? Successfully? It's costing them next to nothing. A bumper mounting tool, what the heck is that? I'd be telling them to do one! Sorry.

I think he’s being sarcastic 😉

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A final update was unable to agree terms for resolution with Toyota. As a result have walked away with the deposit. Was offered some free services and a repair but the confidence was lost by this time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cs233 said:

A final update was unable to agree terms for resolution with Toyota. As a result have walked away with the deposit. Was offered some free services and a repair but the confidence was lost by this time.

Find a different dealer! This is far outside of the norm. Report them to Toyota GB, too. If they're doing this with you, what else are they up to?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Find a different dealer! This is far outside of the norm. Report them to Toyota GB, too. If they're doing this with you, what else are they up to?

Unfortunately Toyota UK who were involved from the start was only prepared to offer some free services and the vehicle 'repaired'. The parts of the car that were not damaged already had the paint hazing and full of swirl marks. Thankfully the old Fiesta this Yaris was due to replace was not sold so can be be run until another new vehicle is sourced. A really disappointing experience and expected more from such a reputed brand. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cs233 said:

Unfortunately Toyota UK who were involved from the start was only prepared to offer some free services and the vehicle 'repaired'. The parts of the car that were not damaged already had the paint hazing and full of swirl marks. Thankfully the old Fiesta this Yaris was due to replace was not sold so can be be run until another new vehicle is sourced. A really disappointing experience and expected more from such a reputed brand. 

Not a surprise for me. I personally have the worst ever and the best ever car experiences with a Toyota. The bad one was from a main dealer on 3 years old “approved car” where the best was from small independent garage on a 5 years old car. Luck plays a  role when buying a car no matter new or used and never trust a dealer is my lesson learned. 👍 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links