Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Replacement not using Toyota dealership?

fred88

Hi all, any complications getting tyres replaced by other than Toyota? Thinking primarily of the pressure monitors but if there's anything else too ......

• Like 3

Dont have to choose Toyota dealership for tyre change. For as long  its a reputable garage/company is good enough!

• Like 3

Thanks but what about the pressure monitors? What do I tell however I go to?

• Like 1

A reputable tyre garage we know all about tyre pressure monitoring sensors & how to deal with them.

• Like 5

Good question, but all modern cars have the monitors so all tyre dealers will be familiar with them too. 

Even if you use an online supplier for fitting at a local fitters they will know. 

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies, its just as I'm sure we all know, dealer tyre prices are ridiculous. I assume Toyota will be the same.

On my previous car (2018 Passat) the tyre pressure monitor was based on rotation speed, on the Corolla its a proper pressure monitor in the valve assembly I think.

I guess I just have to tell the fitter not to change the valve?

• Like 5

It's Jan 2022, 13,000 miles mostly round town I think, stop start. I might be a bit premature, reckon there's about 2 to 3mm left on the fronts.

• Like 2

Falken tyres perhaps, that’s what they last in towns, motorway drive they will do around 20-25k miles. Best to buy different make and models on all 4 corners. See any offers like this one https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/goodyear/efficientgrip-performance-2/225-45-r17-94-w

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fred88 said:

Thanks for the replies, its just as I'm sure we all know, dealer tyre prices are ridiculous. I assume Toyota will be the same.

At least in the past, dealers would offer to match (or close to) prices you've found elsewhere as long as it's equivalent, including fitting and balancing. 

TPMS should be a non-issue, as it has been mandatory on all cars sold from late 2014.

• Like 4

Yes Falkens. Been offered same for £85 per wheel or Michelin for £115 from a mobile fitter that I've used before. Also following the Falken thread on here. 

• Like 3

Fred, for comparison try Black Circle.  Not used them for some time but worth a look. 

Having got your lowest price you could always ask for a price match. 

I exchanged my Corolla Falken at 19,000 miles and had been actively considering different tyres. 

Your 2 prices, £340 and £460, but you should make that up on tyre life. 

• Like 2

Yes, have had a look at Blackcircles as a reference. We're in South Wales and have used smartyre in the past, good prices and excellent service. Only going to be doing the two fronts to start off with, the rears are ok.

Torn between Michelin and Falken though.

• Like 2

+1 for Michelin if you about 4 new tyres, if only 2, then better buy Falkens. Mixing tyres not ideal. 👍 Also Costco, and recently Asda tyres has been cheaper on the web. 

• Like 6

Lots of discussion regarding front or rear.  It seems best practise from the tyre manufacturers is best on back.  So replace the front with the new tyres on the back.  

Subjectively, no contest, go Michelin

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

+1 for Michelin if you about 4 new tyres, if only 2, then better buy Falkens. Mixing tyres not ideal. 👍 Also Costco, and recently Asda tyres has been cheaper on the web. 

If you do put new Michelin on the back, budget for new fronts within 10,000 miles.😀

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

If you do put new Michelin on the back, budget for new fronts within 10,000 miles.😀

This is what tyre manufacturers wants and that’s why they have created this myth to replace new tyres on the rear so they can keep selling you 2 new tyres every 12 months. And when the roads become slightly white everyone can’t move at all, because for “ safety reasons “ the new  tyres with better grip been installed on the rear axle. 😂👌🛞

• Like 3

Lol, my Triumph could eat a pair of Dunlop cross ply in 5,500 miles.

Back to front and you were looking to change all 4 at 10,000.

However I agree, logically good rubber on the steering and driven wheels.

• Like 3

I heard an argument once that's it's easier to regain control of a vehicle that had lost grip at the front than the rear. Hence put best tyres at the back. Despite that I tend to just replace them in the the position they wear out in, in pairs if possible. 

• Like 2

Ah the blessing of long term memory, and the curse of what did I just go in the kitchen for?

Points me to tyre wear relevant to the thread hopefully.

I think that the extreme lightness of that Citroen AX that I had made it very light on tyres.

I bought it new, and replaced the two front tyres at a french supermarket fast fit at 34,000 miles, with Michelin around £34 apiece,it was FF then, so I may be a couple of quid out.

Never did need to replace the rears, and sold the car with over 80,000 miles on it, and the replacement Michelins still ok , just.

Can't remember the original tyres on it, but I think that they were Michelin too.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ah the blessing of long term memory, and the curse of what did I just go in the kitchen for?

Points me to tyre wear relevant to the thread hopefully.

I think that the extreme lightness of that Citroen AX that I had made it very light on tyres.

I bought it new, and replaced the two front tyres at a french supermarket fast fit at 34,000 miles, with Michelin around £34 apiece,it was FF then, so I may be a couple of quid out.

Never did need to replace the rears, and sold the car with over 80,000 miles on it, and the replacement Michelins still ok , just.

Can't remember the original tyres on it, but I think that they were Michelin too.

They would have been Michelins, almost all Citroens had Michelins as standard even after Michelin stopped owning them. Early Citroen’s suspension was designed around Michelin tyres.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you have diamond cut wheels (rather than painted) then choose your tyre fitter carefully, as a lot of cheap places just use a bar against the side / face of the wheel to pry the tyre off. With diamond cut wheels this will break the lacquer which then lets water underneath. This will look unsightly and it’s £100 a wheel to have the re-cut & painted. 

I’ve just ordered 4 new GY Efficient Grip Performance 2 from Camskill with delivery to my home. I’ll then use a trusted friend to fit them who won’t scratch the wheel on damage the lacquer 

• Like 3

Normally tyre fitters change the rubber valve when they change the tyre, but if they see there's a TPMS sensor they either don't touch it or just change the valve core (They usually remove it to deflate the tyre faster before they break the bead)

Michelin generally make the best tyres currently, but they also have the highest prices. ATS Euromaster seem to be the cheapest place to get them 'tho.

• Like 5

Unsurprisingly, Blackcircles (owned by Michelin) offer the best prices on Michelin.

If you are lucky and found a Costco membership card in your favourite cereal package this morning, and they have a deal on, for a Michelin tyre, that fits your particular car, then they may beat Blackcircles on price. Sometimes.

• Like 5